Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012

scurvy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to scurvy
1969 Irwin 27' sloop

Hi everyone.

I have been sailing off and on now for roughly 20 years. I started with a Catalina 34' then a Sabre 28 mk1 and then an Albin Vega 27'. I sold my last boat about 4 years ago and swore I would never own another until it was time to retire...(ever hear that one before?).

Recently, I came upon a situation where a friend of mine would like to give me his 1969 Irwin 27. I know little about them, she is bare bones but seems built like a tank. High cabin top with almost an Alberg look to her minus the sweeping stern.

Her sails are ok...no real appointments below...no electronics, stove...very minimalist and stoic. She is powered by a 9.9 outboard ( not aware of any inboard). Porta potty, and ground tackle. Her rigging and lines are a year old.

One issue he has with her right now is the replacement centerboard. He had one designed by a local woodworker to specs but once in place discovered that the wood they used did not provide enough ballast and is too buoyant and will not drop down.

Should I move forward with this old girl, might any of you have any suggestions on how to cure this centerboard issue? Just bolting steel plates to her is not an option (as was already suggested in another forum). The cb still has to fit back up into the trunk.

As always...thank you in advance for your help, suggestions and any information you might have on this particular model is appreciated!

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Re: 1969 Irwin 27' sloop

I'd give thought to routing out a big hole in the bottom of the center board, filling it with either lead or steel plates then glass over it. The hole would go from one side of the board to the other. Also check to see if they put some sort of bushing on the board where the bolt passes through.

Good luck.
Old 10-10-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Along CaptainMeme's line of thought, route out a large rectangle on either side of the board, melt lead into the cavity and glass over it. Do this on each side.

If you can't do the lead, then you could at least bolt steel or iron plates into those cavities and glass up the whole assembly.

I'm envisioning a thin core of wood remaining on either side of the routed out area. Perhaps even simpler would be to simply cut out a large, rectangular area out of the board and fill it with some kind of ballast, fair it, and seal it up.

Or re-make the damn thing out of metal.
scurvy likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
I'd give thought to routing out a big hole in the bottom of the center board, filling it with either lead or steel plates then glass over it. The hole would go from one side of the board to the other. Also check to see if they put some sort of bushing on the board where the bolt passes through.

Good luck.
I had thought of routing out the two sides on the bottom and bolting on two pieces of lead or steel...this sounds interesting.

thanks Capt!
Old 10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Along CaptainMeme's line of thought, route out a large rectangle on either side of the board, melt lead into the cavity and glass over it. Do this on each side.

If you can't do the lead, then you could at least bolt steel or iron plates into those cavities and glass up the whole assembly.

I'm envisioning a thin core of wood remaining on either side of the routed out area. Perhaps even simpler would be to simply cut out a large, rectangular area out of the board and fill it with some kind of ballast, fair it, and seal it up.

Or re-make the damn thing out of metal.
Moulten lead sounds interesting. I would definitely want to glass over the whole thing but am worried that I may make it too wide or thick to pass back into the trunk. I have not seen the work done yet, so that will be a telling moment for sure...but keep the ideas coming...I like it!
Old 10-10-2012

Does anyone know anything about these boats? Hard to find any information on them really.
Old 10-10-2012

haggerty60 is on a distinguished road

hey scurvy, 1eyed pirate here. I own a 1967 27ft irwin. mine is very nice with a lot of teak on deck and down below. the centerboard is only about seventy pounds. I hardly ever use it. the old girl sails just fine without it. look up Irwin yachts. there is a little there about the centerboard. I live on and sail all over the great lakes all summer on it, any weather any waves I love the boat. stormy seas and fair winds.
scurvy likes this.
Old 10-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggerty60 View Post
hey scurvy, 1eyed pirate here. I own a 1967 27ft irwin. mine is very nice with a lot of teak on deck and down below. the centerboard is only about seventy pounds. I hardly ever use it. the old girl sails just fine without it. look up Irwin yachts. there is a little there about the centerboard. I live on and sail all over the great lakes all summer on it, any weather any waves I love the boat. stormy seas and fair winds.
Sounds great! Still having trouble finding specs on the CB, but I will keep trying. The Owner tells me she won't point at all and she won't tack without a fight. lol
Old 10-10-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Specs for Irwin 27': IRWIN 27 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

I have a somewhat similar boat, a Tartan 27' from 1967. Both are centerboard designed 'full keel' boats. Here is the T27 spec: TARTAN 27 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

They are similar boats in that they both are center board designs, are close in displacement, have a similar shape hull and sail plan but they differ somewhat in max. and min. draft (keel and centerboard depth). My T27 has a deeper, more pronounced fixed keel and a somewhat shorter centerboard. It sails fine without the CB in light winds but I'd not want to be without it for heading to windward.
With the Irwin 27's fixed keel depth given as 2.7' I'd bet you'll want your CB ready to use too.

The I 27 max draft is given as 7.83' and min draft as 2.7' which means that the CB has to be able to extend down 5.1' from the bottom of the hull (straight down I presume). That means that the CB is likely around 6' in total length. I think that wood is not a good choice of material for use in an application like this where the CB needs to be negatively buoyant, or sink and stay sunk.

The centerboard on my T27 has a metal frame and metal plates surrounded by FRP and weighs about 100#s and only extends down around 2.5' from our hull when extended. You definitely need to either add a lot of weight to your CB or start over with a steel frame and FRP over it.

The I 27 looks like it would be a blast on any reach with less underwater surface area (wetted area).
scurvy likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-10-2012

Thanks Caleb!

WE looked at a Tartan 27' on Lake Winnipesaukee. They are very nice boats indeed. Ended up with the Vega as she was a great price and another sea worthy design.

I may have to start from scratch then and just use the dimensions of the current CB. Sailing...if it were easy they would call it power boating!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.