Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2004

TADIAS is on a distinguished road
Smallish cruiser w/ resellability

My wife and two young children will be moving to the east coast this summer and would like to find a small cruiser capable of extended living aboard (think 1month or so), much coastal cruising, and an occasional jump to islands SE of FL or accross the Gulf of Mexico. The goal of this endeavor is to learn enough to buy a larger craft that could bring us about the globe in relative comfort. For this boat Iím thinking 30k or less and donít want to be fleeced on the resale in say 5-6 years. Our family does a lot of camping, and we love it, so copious creature comforts arenít important. A craft that can be single handed is a must, sleeps 4 w/ at least one double, cooking facilities and some place other than the gunwale to relieve oneself. Most of all this will be a training vessel for something large enough to take us anywhere, so if that matters keep that in mind when recommending a boat. The 30k isnít so important if resale prospect is good but less expensive(not cheap) is always better. Think small but large enough to give us a feel for our next boat(already described). Your input is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road

Tad, that''s a great question and I''ll bet we''ll see a lot of boats nominated. But here are some related thoughts to help round out your considerations:
1. Where on the East Coast? There''s a significant difference in the sailing and cruising venues of e.g. Long Island Sound or lower New England, the Chesapeake, the Carolina Sounds, or FL''s Space Coast. Knowing were you''ll be homeporting the boat is quite important for several reasons. Obviously, your home waters will affect the kind of sailing and preliminary cruising you''ll do, the range of weather conditions you''ll need to face, and how significant draft will be for you. Stating this will help you get better suggestions. But another reason is that...
2. Given your plan to purchase a ''learner boat'' and trade up if the Grand Plan remains in place, you will be better off purchasing a boat well known in your home waters, for which there is a sustained demand because it suits that locale and is held in high regard. I hope you are or will consider working with a good local broker because this is one area where their in-depth view of the market can be especially helpful. (Choosing a ''good'' broker is a topic that''s been discussed here before; you might search the archives).
3. When shopping with a $30K budget, you''ll find yourself straddling multiple continuums (continua?): older and perhaps in more need of repair or cosmetic upgrade but also larger vs. newer and more ''turn key'' but smaller; more systems and gizmos but smaller for a given price vs. simplier boat with fewer amenities but perhaps a bit bigger for the same price; better build quality but smaller due to the cost of quality vs. ''pedestrian'' build quality but a bit bigger for the same cost. Give some thought to where you want to be WRT such variables; those are questions you need to sort thru vs. just accepting the opinions of others.
4. Don''t be too quick to avoid some amenities, as you seem inclined to do, as in your Grand Plan you''re going to be using the boat as a long-term home, not just a magic carpet, and so comfort and things that make life easier will be welcomed. (Cruising can in reality be tough work in at times pretty trying conditions; a few comforts help offset this). And guess who needs to understand and know how to fix those amenities? Your ''learner'' boat, if it serves its purpose, will in part be teaching you how to maintain, repair and upgrade systems. So...e.g., a diesel engine, pressure & hot water system, a decent self-steering system to help with that single-handing, a jib furling system...these are all ''extras'' that will serve you well when learning, and ultimately with the big boat. The same logic argues in favor of preferring a somewhat larger boat over a smaller one as our interim choice - imagine how you''ll feel when thinking of stepping up to a 38 footer from a 26'' vs. a 31'' LOA boat. (Also, don''t do what I just did for purposes of simplification: think ''displacement'' when thinking size, as it will more typically predict cost, volume and - when also considering length - performance).
5. There really isn''t any facet of sailing, living aboard for periods of time, cruising, navigating and much more that you won''t be eager to learn about. In such cases, owning a boat with a local, active owners'' association that has rallies, a seasonal cruising program, kids activities, etc. can be a short cut to this learning and provide a structural envelope in which you can achieve your skill building. This can also be true of a local yacht club, sailing club or marina. Owners'' associations also can offer a huge wealth of (usually, on-line) reference info when attempting to learn about systems, how to make upgrades, source parts and such. You might just want to keep this in mind a bit when picking your boat.

There are many, many boats in your price range that will allow you do what you wish re: sailing, assuming it''s structurally sound, safely navigated and thoughtfully sailed. Thus, I don''t think there''s one or two ''right choices''...and therefore mentioning of some other criteria to consider. Good luck on the hunt!

Jack
Old 03-13-2004

TADIAS is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the effort put into your reply. Thats some great food for thought, it never occured to me that resale is directly linked with locality. You could have saved me there as I was intending to search the whole coast find a boat and sail it to home port. Incidentally the home ports in the frontrunning thus far are Abermarle, Pamlico, Wilmington NC, and Charleston SC. Looking at the map its now clear that the same boat in both places (sounds and otherwise)would not fare as well in many aspects. I''ve been struggling with this question for a bit of time so you just took a load off my mind. I''ll wait until I move. Thanks, T
Old 03-14-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road

T:

Given those potential homeports, I''d suggest you place draft, stiffness, cockpit protection and a diesel engine on your master list of criteria. You''ll find places like Oriental and Washington, NC to have very active sailing clubs with lots of cruising activities, altho'' a significant portion of the population there seems to be older folks who''ve migrated to the seasonal but warmer climes.

Charleston is a somewhat limited sailing venue IMO. It''s great as a starter location, despite the everpresent tidal conditions that can make boat handling a bit of a chore...but teach learners a lot!<g> But after a few daysails outside the harbor, you''ll be driving up or down the ICW looking for other sailing opportunities, and the length of a weekend will not produce many. Of course, the homeport may need to be driven by more practical criteria than boat sailing.<g>

Jack

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.