SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   burnt boat for viewing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/93251-burnt-boat-viewing.html)

floridajaxsailor 10-18-2012 11:00 PM

burnt boat for viewing

1 Attachment(s)
this pulled up at the marina today in Florida
yes, towed in should I say

I thought you lads would enjoy the image

the sordid tale involves the fact that it parked next to a sailboat last month which had a malfunctioning AC unit

it is off to Texas to be floated into a fresh water lake for two years where she'll undergo massive repairs

enjoy

Barquito 10-19-2012 11:25 AM

Re: burnt boat for viewing

I would imagine that boat has a date with a chain saw.

Tim R. 10-19-2012 11:58 AM

Why bother, it's a stinkpot!

More details about the cause of the fire in the sailboat would be helpful.

Captainmeme 10-19-2012 12:11 PM

Yeah as long as no one was hurt who gives a rats behind about the stink pot? They belch mother earth killing carbon laced gases. We want to know about the environmentally friendly sailboat. ;)

CalebD 10-19-2012 01:31 PM

I'd like to know how an AC unit is involved with causing this fire.

SloopJonB 10-19-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridajaxsailor (Post 935806)
this pulled up at the marina today in Florida
yes, towed in should I say

I thought you lads would enjoy the image

the sordid tale involves the fact that it parked next to a sailboat last month which had a malfunctioning AC unit enjoy

Are you saying that it was trashed by a sailboat?

Revenge is sweet. :cool:;)

Brewgyver 10-19-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 936060)
I'd like to know how an "AC unit" is involved with causing this fire.

+1 I've seen hundreds of HVAC failures, from small window units to 2000 ton chillers, and none of them caused a fire.

Now, a malfunctioning electrical system component, that's another story, and a much more likely culprit.

Additional note: For clarity, AC typically means Alternating Current, and A/C = Air Conditioning.

CalebD 10-19-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewgyver (Post 936098)
+1 I've seen hundreds of HVAC failures, from small window units to 2000 ton chillers, and none of them caused a fire.

Now, a malfunctioning electrical system component, that's another story, and a much more likely culprit.

Additional note: For clarity, AC typically means Alternating Current, and A/C = Air Conditioning.

True that!
I should have written "A/C unit" as AC = alternating current. How did that convention get started?

floridajaxsailor 10-19-2012 03:57 PM

ah ha
not a sliver escapes you technically minded boat gurus...
A/C

the mate on the large twin diesel craft towing this floating charcoal shrugged his shoulders smiling at my repeated questions regarding said sailboat/location/A/C unit...
besides
he was busy trying to catch some river catfish for dinner! & seemed sad that there was little chance of snook in the area

an interesting note: the large twin diesel towing her led a train of three boats! towing two!
the floating charcoal in the middle, then a large trawler behind as the caboose, quite a salvage
if you are on the ICW in the next two weeks perhaps you can catch a view as they put up the West Coast then over to AL & TX

the older grumpier captain seemed to confirm the story of the sailboat fire(see above)
though I believe he mentioned Ft Lauderdale as the origin
the details are left blowing in the wind I suppose, & yes what a waste of materials on this incredibly fragile planet we all care for, some in bizarre misguided ways

-JD

Brewgyver 10-22-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 936122)
True that!
I should have written "A/C unit" as AC = alternating current. How did that convention get started?

Caleb, I would guess that the convention got started because Alternating Current was in use for years before the advent of Air Conditioning.