Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SlowButSteady

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012

saltfree is on a distinguished road
Cal 2-29 vs Cal 2-27 (Crown 28, actually...)

So, I've been very impressed with everything I've read about the Cal 2-29, and lots of former owners have made the same comment "it's the one boat I wish I'd never sold"...

There's one for sale somewhat close to here that I've shown some interest in, but after over a month of trying to squeeze some very basic information from the seller, I'm starting to think they're not that interested in actually selling it.
(I would post the kijiji link here, but I'm too new with not enough posts... BC Kijiji, Cal 2-29)
The "must sell" seems to be a little misleading, based on my correspondences with the owner so far... there's very limited info in the ad, and the one photo suggests the upkeep may be a little lacking (hard to say for sure though, it is only one photo after all).

So, now there's a Crown 28 also for sale, which was made here in BC in the same facility that had the contract to produce Cals in the 70's. From everything I've read, it essentially IS a Cal 2-27.

Not having ever actually set foot on either one, it seems to me that in a perfect world with all being equal, I would lean towards the 29. I know it would obviously have a slightly faster hull speed, I like the layout better (two quite long quarter berths-- myself @ 6'3" and my wife @ 6' would have arguing feet in the V-berth, whereas the kids would go well up there), and of course, 2 ft itis... a little more room overall.

In this case though, the Crown 28 looks like it may have a few better features, and probably better cared for, for slightly (though very comparable) less money...

So, hold out for a Cal 29, or look further into the Crown 28... Opinions???
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 2-29 vs Cal 2-27 (Crown 28, actually...)

I have a Cal 2-27, I have some very limited experience with the Cal 2-29, and I've never seen a Crown 28 "in the flesh". The 2-29 does feel a bit bigger than the 2-27. In that size range two feet really makes a bit of difference, and the added waterline will five you a bit more speed. In fact, the guy I bought my bought from moved up to a 2-29, mainly for the additional space. However, both are very nice sailing boats, well built, and plenty solid enough for coastal sailing. The designer, Bill Lapworth, was supposedly a pretty tall guy himself; so most of the boats he drew have "human sized" berths (about 6'6" in my boat). And those quarter berths on the 2-29 would come in handy. However, I prefer the "dueling settees" of the 2-27 to the dinette of the 2-29, even if it does limit the galley space on the 2-27 somewhat.

Looking at the line drawings of the Crown 28 it does look similar to the 2-27. However, the underwater lines are a bit different. The keel, for one, doesn't quite look like the classic long, stubby, "Cal keel" of the 2-27, and the hull looks a bit flatter in the forefoot. In fact, the Crown's UW lines look a bit closer to those of the Cal 3-27, than to those of the 2-27. I think Lapworth/Cal used such deeper/shorter-root keels after the "2-series" designs were retired, so it may be that the Crown 28 reflects this transition. The Crown does look (from drawing and pictures) like it has a bit more interior room than the 2-27, but the head compartment seems a bit pinched. The head compartment on the 2-27 is HUGE for a 27-foot boat (one can actually pull up ones pants without banging around against all the bulkheads/doors/fixtures!!!!), and you would be amazed how much more "livable" that makes it feel.

Hope my ramblings help.
Faster likes this.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 10-19-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Nice summary, SBS!

If the Crown 28 has enough advantages over the Cal 29 (condition, equipment, upkeep) I think you'd be just as happy with the Crown. You probably need to 'get aboard' them both to really assess how 'liveable' and important (or not) the differences are.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-20-2012

Thanks both for your input. The owner of the Crown 28 got back to me quickly, when I told him my height, and my wife's height, he responded, "I don't want to discourage a prospective buyer, but I think you'll find the berths too short". I appreciated his honesty!

The Crown deinitely looks like it has more for less $, but if there are height issues with the berths (I'm willing to tolerate slouching when I'm standing, but not sleeping with bent knees all night), I'm afraid it's definitely off the list. Back to dreaming about Cals!
Old 10-20-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfree View Post
So, I've been very impressed with everything I've read about the Cal 2-29, and lots of former owners have made the same comment "it's the one boat I wish I'd never sold"...

There's one for sale somewhat close to here that I've shown some interest in, but after over a month of trying to squeeze some very basic information from the seller, I'm starting to think they're not that interested in actually selling it.
(I would post the kijiji link here, but I'm too new with not enough posts... BC Kijiji, Cal 2-29)
Is this the one?

cal 2-29 - Vancouver Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji Vancouver Canada.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-20-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
That looks like it could be a deal! And you can do a shakedown Broughtons' /Desolation cruise before you take it home!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-20-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfree View Post
Thanks both for your input. The owner of the Crown 28 got back to me quickly, when I told him my height, and my wife's height, he responded, "I don't want to discourage a prospective buyer, but I think you'll find the berths too short". I appreciated his honesty!

The Crown deinitely looks like it has more for less $, but if there are height issues with the berths (I'm willing to tolerate slouching when I'm standing, but not sleeping with bent knees all night), I'm afraid it's definitely off the list. Back to dreaming about Cals!
My bet is that berth length is going to be an issue in any boat in this size range, at least initially, unless you manage to do some slight modifications to the layout. Even a berth several inches longer than your height is likely to feel a bit tight, as people tend to feel uncomfortable with their heads smack up against the bulkhead/headboard and their toes smack up against something else. You might note that a standard Queen or King mattress is 6'8" long, and a "California King" is 7' long. I'm 5'11" and the 6'6" berths on my Cal 2-27 took a little getting used to.

One suggestion I would offer is to look for a boat with facing settees, rather than a dinette. That way you can put some sort of filler between the settees to make one big bed, and either sleep athwart or at least on a diagonal. Granted, it wouldn't be very useful under way, but at the dock or on the hook it would be fine (I've been thinking of doing something like this to my boat).
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 10-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Is this the one?...
Yep, that's the one.
Old 10-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
My bet is that berth length is going to be an issue in any boat in this size range,...

One suggestion I would offer is to look for a boat with facing settees, rather than a dinette. That way you can put some sort of filler between the settees to make one big bed, and either sleep athwart or at least on a diagonal. Granted, it wouldn't be very useful under way, but at the dock or on the hook it would be fine (I've been thinking of doing something like this to my boat).
Hmmm, good idea,... maybe Crown's back on the list since that's what it has for a layout. The only way to know for sure is to find one to see in person and lay around... the issue with this particular Cal has been getting any information from the sellers. There's a lot more I'd like to know about it before committing to a 12 hr travel each way just to go and look at it.
Old 10-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
That looks like it could be a deal! And you can do a shakedown Broughtons' /Desolation cruise before you take it home!
Could be, or could be not! Information is needed, and so far, hard to come by. You want to come along on that shakedown? I'm going to need someone aboard with more experience than me.... (I'll cross that bridge, er, strait, when I get to it)