SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Quality of boats that sit vs sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/93354-quality-boats-sit-vs-sail.html)

Ninefingers 10-22-2012 01:32 PM

Quality of boats that sit vs sail

I took a look at 35', 10 year old production boat with 350 hours. It has only been used by the current owner five times in the last 2 years. 3 times under motor alone. Has new sails, new bottom paint, all new glass in the hatches. Basically it was just used as a cottage a few weekends per year.

Are their issues that can arise when boats are not used? I would think it may just be a big mystery until a new owner sailed it for a good 20 hours or so.

sww914 10-22-2012 01:55 PM

Re: Quality of boats that sit vs sail

Nearly all of the problems with my boat are of 2 categories.
1- DAPO, dumb-ass-previous-owner.
2- Sat on the hard for 8 years. The teak decks dried out badly, leaked, and things rotted.

olson34 10-22-2012 02:14 PM

If the P.O. did his annual engine and trans. oil changes, there should be no problem.
Winches will likely have old lube that's solidified.... but you can easily remedy that.
One thing about standing rigging is that it can get quite "tired" just sitting at the dock with the boat moving around with wind and wakes. So if it's beyond, say 10 or 15 years or so, plan on renewing it ---- especially true for life lines at 10 years.

Shaft could have some serious crevice-corrosion from de-oxigenated water against it in the stuffing box and strut, also.

If boat has a rolled up jib, it will need a new UV cover, but you'll know a lot more when you take the sails in for a look-see.

capttb 10-22-2012 02:18 PM

2 years ago I bought a 10 YO boat with 200 hrs. before that had a 9 YO with 400 hrs when purchased.
The boat with 400 hrs & a Perkins needed a new exhaust elbow (clogged), thru hulls may be stiff, if Marelon make sure they open/close without breaking. Lower furling drum if not used/flushed may be frozen, especially early model Schaeffer 2100 that do not have holes for flushing at top of drum.
Should do an engine service and impellor change asap of course, most things with bearings (sheaves, blocks etc.) will be dry and dirty and need flushing and lube. Check for cabin top leaks at chainplates and other cabin top mounting points. Sails and running rigging will be dusty/dirty and need cleaning, marcerator pump may be frozen from non-use.
Batteries at 10 are getting a little toward elderly also, check for water, I've found them bone dry and still starting an engine.

PCP 10-22-2012 02:31 PM

Pumps that are not used can have problems, the rubbers on the hatches and other openings if they remain closed a long time on the sun will degrade. The engine if is stopped for a long time will develop rust on the interior and on the exhaust (that's why on car museums they will put the engines working once a week). The diesel tank if not full can contain water from condensation and the diesel can have biological growth.

But these are all minor problems if the price is right;)

Regards

Paulo

chucklesR 10-22-2012 04:30 PM

I just bought a 25 year old boat (1987) with 600 hours on the original engine.

I don't see a problem with buying a dock queen / yard queen in general so long as it's been stored and used properly. In fact, it's like buying a gently used new boat :)

BarryL 10-23-2012 02:15 PM

Hey,

I would be concerned about the fuel. Since the engine hasn't been used much, is there water, bacteria, and other bad stuff in the tank? I would want to remove all the old fuel, clean the tank, change the filters, and add fresh fuel.

Barry

Philzy3985 10-23-2012 03:42 PM

Last month I bought a 1985 Catalina 30. The previous owner, (I never met, purchased through broker) apparently had not visited the boat for a year and a half or more. It showed poorly and was on the market for a long time at a high price.

It needed cosmetic TLC, which I am all up for, and I had a rigger survey the rigging and a marine surveyor go throughout the boat, everything was good enough and I purchased the boat. Everything passed, but the recommendations are important to me and I intend to complete as much as my resources allow. For example, because the boat was un-used for so long, the macerator siezed up, the hand-pump head didn't function properly, the 1985 microwave displays time but does not start microwaving, and overall the electrical wiring that probably always was "good enough" for day sailing, will probably get re-worked to be safer for my liveaboard intentions. It appears to just have general deferred-maintenance, that falls into my hands.

I'm probably over-optimistic believing that, "maybe this boat is in really good shape, and won't need anything major for awhile, I got lucky and found a good one!" But time will tell. So far, very good. It's nice to get compliments from the yard guys on the condition of the bottom when the boat is hauled out. This is my first large boat that permanently stays in the water, and like I mentioned, I'll be a LAB, so I'll be using more of everything that people who visit their boats weekly/monthly. The benefit is that I'll gradually learn all I can about the systems, yet I'll be using almost everything more often than the typcial weekly/monthly dock-sailor, so I can expect maintenance tasks to be more frequent.

The first trip I made was to a fuel dock to have an oil/filter change - the oil looked like black paint. And the general recommendation is to shorten the interval between my next oil change so that it helps to continue to flush out the old oil. They suggested 2-3 months later.

It's going to be a learning experience over time both in marine systems, sailing something that isn't a beachcat, and how well the previous owner(s) took care of this boat.

arf145 10-24-2012 11:52 AM

I purchased a boat in similar circumstances, Philzy. We had a few (possibly many) more deferred maintenance/replacement issues than I thought, but it worked out fine--though it wouldn't have if we had had to pay for all my labor :) Oh, and don't sweat the black oil too much. Oil in a diesel goes black pretty quickly when the engine is run.

emoney 10-24-2012 12:28 PM

Sitting at a dock full time or constantly out sailing are neither factors in condition, as much as the previous owner him/herself was/is. The key is how they maintained the vessel. Plenty boats spend a lot of time tied up, but have owners that are very rigid about caring for them. At the same time, there are plenty folks sailing their boats almost daily that ignore those little "cries for help" that a drip here or there may point out. Having said that, the total opposite in both situations are true just as often. So the key is, get to know the PO and proceed accordingly.

Plus, it's always safest to assume the boat's going to need some serious attention. That way you don't find yourself disappointed, and can even be pleasantly surprised. Good luck!