After receiving estimates, factoring in the various comments advice and suggestions received here and from others, and further negotiation with the seller- we've decided to proceed with our purchase of the E32.
How did we get here?
I provided a copy of the survey to the Marina along with some of the items that I thought may warrant a 2nd look, including the mast compression, deck delamination, and hull/cosmetic issues. I also asked them to provide costs for re-wiring the mast and some other fixes that are secondary to the purchase transaction (things I would like to upgrade myself).
I must say that being new to boating my experience with the marina was good- knowledgeable and helpful. However, I do not recall them informing me there would be a cost to provide the estimate- nor did they mention it when they emailed the estimate. When I received it via snail-mail it included a bill for over $200 (3 hours time on the boat). Frankly, based on the language in the estimate (short/sweet), and the fact that the survey probably provided a lot of the background needed to provide the estimate... I doubt it took 3 hours- or maybe it did- I don't know... Anyway- chalk this up to my own failure to ask/confirm if the estimate would cost anything- and first hand experience that while marinas serve a valuable purpose- they are indeed out to make money and lots of it as soon as possible... (aren't we all...).
I say this with a
: Boat repair
estimates are not like buying carpet, they take time, people need to crawl up ladders
, they need to open ports, lockers, and hatches
, they need to sniff, touch, rub, tap, they need to es-ti-mate... and if it's raining- add an hour... Buyer beware....
Regarding the estimate itself- the costs for the things that I specifically attached to the purchase (deck de-lam, and a couple other things) totaled >$5000 however some of the items were not significant to the survey results (they were cosmetic issues). After speaking with several people about the compression around the mast area I do not think it's a structural concern. I am factoring in potential removal of the mast for re-wiring, and replacing the mast compression plate in my decision here (future upgrade/fixes).
The seller has agreed to fix the deck de-lam, and some other fixes/things that I did not note in my original post. Some of these items were noted in the survey as minor- some were included in the estimates. I let the seller know my concern regarding him doing repairs
versus the marina. He gave me more info on his background (specifically sailboat) in repair
and I am putting my faith in him to do it right. This is a risk I am willing to manage, and we are witholding X dollars pending adequate completion of the fixes.
So key factors in our decision were:
Structural or Cosmetic? - Most of our concerns were more cosmetic in nature. Granted the deck delamination/mast may be structural but not major or near any kind of failure point. We are buying a 30 year old boat- We know there are issues going in, and may need to invest in some upgrades ourselves. Our cost entry point is comfortable for us and we feel like we're getting a boat we like at the appropriate price for it's condition/age. An early 80's Catalina or Hunter would bring with it their own types of issues. Endeavours are noted to have some gel-coat issues; which this boat has, and which we can live with- like wrinkles they add character.
Agreed fixes - We have a significant list of agreed fixes to be done by the PO. He has a racing team background and I am placing my trust in him- not always an easy call to make but I'm okay with making this one. The list incliudes the deck, rudder, port-lights, hatches
, and a couple of other things (including wash/wax/bottom paint
), and we have a deposit that should be enough of an incentive to do right, and/or subsidize further repair
Included equipment - Sails are newer and include 2007 or newer Genoa, Asym w/sock, new main in 2008, newer running rigging
, 2 lewmar
ST40's, 3 blade feathering prop, nice cradle with box... The electronics package is also pretty solid with ST60, autohelm and SL70 GPS
/Radar (no radar
Long story short - We like the boat, we know it has wrinkles. We've vetted the survey against folks more knowledgable than us, got some estimates for repairs, re-negotiated with the seller to incporporate some repairs- and are moving forward with the purchase... We haven't closed yet- hopefully there won't be any surprises on that end...
In the meantime I'll be getting comfortable with Nigel Calder, beefing up my book-smarts, learning some new knots, shopping for slips, and saving my pennies for that hole in the water I'm gleefully diving in...
Can't wait til spring!