Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2004

hrmacdonald2000 is on a distinguished road
Pearson 323

Looking for some feedback on the Pearson 323. I have seen several good ones for sale (YachtWorld)and the prices seem reasonable.
Are these boats good coastal cruisers. My wife and I are only interested in cruising our home waters around Nova Scotia. Is this boat considered "stiff", what quality of construction is she. Should the fact that some of these boats have an Atomic 4 cause concern.
Regards to all, Aspy...

P.S. I have checked the archives and have found some information, however, all help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Pearson 323

The Pearson 323 is a nice boat. They were reasonably well constructed and offered nice accomodations for a boat this size. While not terribly fast, they seem to be good sailing boats with a reasonable turn of speed in moderate breezes and above.

I would not call these boats terribly stiff (stiff generally refers to form stability) which is actually a good thing in terms of comfort. While lacking the higher stability (especially relative to drag) of a more modern design, none the less the 323 are reasonably stable boats and should be good boats for your sailing area.

For coastal cruising, I really don''t mind a boat with an Atomic 4 if the engine has been maintained and is in good condition although some parts are getting harder to find.

Jeff
Old 03-22-2004

Pearson 323

Jeff, thank you for your insights into this sailboat. It is much appreciated, as is the input from the other contributor''s who take the time to share their knowledge. As a novice sailor, finding the "right boat" for my sailing needs can sometimes be overwhelming. If I can keep a level keel and think rational ( although my wife thinks that spending, 30-40 thousand on a boat is irrational ),i''m sure the right boat will come along...
Best regards to all, Aspy...
Old 03-22-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Pearson 323

Aspy, I believe there was a thread on the 323 only a week or two ago. If you can search the archives, you''ll find more comments.

I like the 323 (which makes me biased, I suppose) but I think there are a number of (not major but each not unimportant) reasons why you should be looking for a diesel. Safety, fuel cost (especially where marine diesel enjoys a tax break), long-term support, reliability (since you only need clean fuel and compression once you get her started), wide availability in used boats, resale advantage, and perhaps some others that don''t come to mind.

How long is the sailing season up there? Friends tell us there going back for a second year, had a great visit but couldn''t get very far before they had to flee to the Chesapeake.

Jack
Old 03-22-2004

Pearson 323

Whoosh,
My first choice would be a diesel althought I feel a little better about a gas engine, after getting the thumbs up from Jeff ( for my sailing purposes ). I realize and I hope sellers realize too, that a diesel is of more value, again depending on the big picture...
Our sailing season in Nova Scotia starts in early May ( Prep work ) and most boats are in the water by the first of June. Our weather warms up pretty good by this time and will continue warm until mid-Sept, when the evenings start getting quite cool. Most people will sail until mid-Oct. and then start the winter prep work... November is really too cold for sailing ( IMO ). We can start getting snow by,Mid-November, but over the past 10 years or so the snow is staying away longer. A white Christmas is no longer guaranteed.
We have beautiful sailing here in Cape Breton Island, with an inland sea,the Bras D''Or Lakes, which is accessible on both ends, from the Atlantic Ocean. The great thing about sailing here is that you can coastal cruise around Cape Breton and get a feel for the ocean and then, at your leisure, enter the beautiful Bras D''Or Lakes. All are welcome...
Best regards, Aspy...