Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2004

PDixon is on a distinguished road
Small compressor for diving.

I would like to clean to and inspect the bottom of my boat but do not want to have to hold my breath. I was wondering if I could use the small air compressor I bought at home depot. This electric compressor will put out a max of 120 lbs of pressure. The idea is I could spice the air hose from the compressor to the air hose from a diving regulator. As I would only use this to clean my bottom I would not be diving deeper than 10 Ft. Before I did any of this I would go to an approved school and get a dive cert. But is there anything wrong with this idea.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2004

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough

The short answer is errr...kind of...but it depends on how fond of your lungs you are.

Couple of things to consider form a technical standpoint. firstly, those little compressors work in "puffs" and do not provide a continous stream of air. This makes for lousy breathing.
So one of the first things you would need to do is create a "bottle" like the tank that ges with regular air compresors. This evens out the flow by having a pressure reserve an providing a stream of air-on-demand. There are numerouse things that can be used to "improvise" this device for non breathing use, things like propane cylanders, and such (or for thecase of an air-brush using friend of mine, the inner-tube to a wheelbarrow tyre).

Second tech point.
Compressors designed for providing breathable air have different seals, lines and piston rings (and lube) to the ones that are designed for inflating tyres. Basically the reason that a divers hookah is so much more expensive is that it has to emit NON TOXIC air fit for human consumption. On the other hand, the unit you are propsing uses mineral oil for lube, likely a fibre-lined aluminium for piston rings and vulcanised rubber seals and O-rings that happily send that fine black rubber dust along the line with the air.
Bad news for breathing.
Now combine the two issues of the improvised pressure bottle and the unsuitable compressor.... A screaming headache is the luckiest thing you could come away with.

Think of it this way, if even large type compressors (such as used at gas stations) produced breathing quality air, would not have someone come up with an adaptor to refill dive cylanders form the gas station by now instead of paying dollars to get it done at a dive shop?

All air aint good air, even for L.A residents.

If you have no real interest in diving apart from cleaning your boat hull, you can usually make a deal with local divers (usually kids) to turn up every few weeks and do it for you. Our 16yo entreprenaur gets $20Australian every dive, about once every month in these waters. Much cheaper the a PADDI course and regulator. He even checks the length of the mooring chain to see if shackles need replacing or anything.

Sasha
Old 03-19-2004

hamiam is on a distinguished road

Absolutly not. The air will contain dangerous amounts of CO and other contaminants the effect of which on your body would be intensified by being under water. I take it your are not a diver but if you were for about $10 you could rent a filled tank from the dive store.
Old 03-19-2004

capttb is on a distinguished road

Previous replys are 100% correct, DON''T DO IT. Now I must admit that when in high school I used just such a device as you describe. For past 30 years I have used compressed air breathers professionally, most compressor oils (e.g. Ambesol) are labeled as carcinogens, even those designed for use to fill air bottles. The systems designed for breathing air use 4 or 5 stage high pressure filters and a carbon monoxide detector. It takes very little CO to make the air unfit for use, here in Los Angeles sometimes just the ambient level of CO is too high to fill bottles. I haven''t looked lately but there used to be devices made for this purpose, some even on floats. I think these may no longer be available due to health reasons, you can''t have a gas engine running anywhere in the vicinity of the compressor intake and get acceptable CO levels.
Old 03-19-2004

capttb is on a distinguished road

They do still make devices as I decribed above see: http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp_category_152_categoryname_Hooka%2BSyst ems
Looks like $800 minimum & you should still be certified, looks like it would be cheaper to get certified and use a bottle on the dock with long hose & regulator.
Old 03-19-2004

PDixon is on a distinguished road

Ok I get it. It''s not a good idea. A few clarifiing points, The compressor is electric. I has a 2 gal tank. and it is an oil-less compressor. That being said I realise that it would be better and safer to go the more traditional and safer route with a tank
Thanks for all your input
Paul
Old 03-19-2004

Pilgram is on a distinguished road

I have a Brownie''s electric third lung compresser and a 75 foot line I use to clean my boat bottom. Picked it up for $600 used. You just change the air intake filter when needed and you can dive all day on your boat. Just looked in a Brownie''s catalog and you can by a small electric one new for $800 with hoses,reg,ect. They are located in Ft Lauderdale,FL or on the web at WWW.browniedive.com Get dive certified any way, you will never regret doing it and it is good for life.
Old 12-26-2009
Banned

mcjohnruther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDixon View Post
I would like to clean to and inspect the bottom of my boat but do not want to have to hold my breath. I was wondering if I could use the small air compressor I bought at home depot. This electric compressor will put out a max of 120 lbs of pressure. The idea is I could spice the air hose from the compressor to the air hose from a diving regulator. As I would only use this to clean my bottom I would not be diving deeper than 10 Ft. Before I did any of this I would go to an approved school and get a dive cert. But is there anything wrong with this idea.
Hi,

Diving is good and gutsy act. Why I am saying this is for first thing's first. I would love to pose you something into your mind that its too easy to do such things as we have enough technology to clean up the bottom of your boat and of curse without drowning too deep into the water.

Regards,
mcjohnruther
Old 12-26-2009

ryanjenkins is on a distinguished road
I have done this on a friends boat before and just fabricated an extremely long snorkel out of a garden hose...
Old 12-26-2009

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjenkins View Post
I have done this on a friends boat before and just fabricated an extremely long snorkel out of a garden hose...
Bullchit.
Your lungs won't pull surface air down through a snorkel deeper than about 18 inches, and that's the max if you have strong lungs. And you would be too busy trying to breathe to get any word done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.