Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012

seaparrot is on a distinguished road
Quick! Talk me out of Purchasing a Sabre 30!

We're down to two boats from our list of prospects: a Bristol 29.9 and Sabre 30 (Series 1). I think, for a variety of reasons, that the Sabre is probably the wiser financial move, and I think she might fit our needs very well too.

I'm about a hair off from making an offer. So quick ... tell me why I am a nut and should not buy a Sabre 30 to be our first family boat ...

Our plans are to sail the Chesapeake weekends and weeks. I want to work up to taking longer trips along the East Coast and ICW. If I can get the time off, I hope we can eventually get down the Caribbean. Besides these sailing goals, our big reason for wanting to get the boat now is that we want to travel with our son. So this would be the boat our little fellow would learn to sail. Needless to say, my husband and I will be doing a fair amount of single-handing, since we have to keep one eye on the baby.

BTW, one side question, on engines: the Bristol has an old Universal (16 HP), while the Sabre's original engine was replaced by a relatively new Yanmar (30 HP). Is there any reason not to prefer the newer, more powerful Yanmar? Can the engine be too "big"?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Quick! Talk me out of Purchasing a Sabre 30!

Two different types of boats. Sabre is a well made cruiser which is also a good performance and sailing boat. Very responsive and will go into the wind at a much closer angle than the Bristol. bristol is also a very well made boat, more of a cruiser. Sabre displacement 8800 lbs...sail area 432, Bristol 8650....sa..391. Sabre newer 30 hp Yanmar...Bristol 15 hp Universal. 30 hp yanmar is certainly not to big for the Sabre at all. Thats a big difference the newer engine if the boats are in the same condition otherwise.

For me all else equal....the Sabre is the choice.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-05-2012

seaparrot is on a distinguished road

Admittedly, cruising, not speed, is more important to us. Which is why it does pain a bit pass over Bristol. She's closer to what I originally pictured. (Also the Bristol has some gorgeous wood inside!) However, it strikes me that the Sabre could be a lot of fun to sail (esp. in lighter wind?) and would still make a good cruiser.

If the Sabre is in any way too "light" for what I am proposing (extended traveling off the coast), of course that might cause us to pause.
Old 11-05-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Assuming they are in reasonably similar condition, buy the one that gladdens your heart more. Both boats are known to be good quality and they are similar sizes so the "lightness" factor isn't really a factor.

Sailboats are essentially an emotion purchase - there isn't a whole lot of logic in owning one.

Edit: The Sabre is about 1/2 minute a mile faster by PHRF rating - that's a lot for two 30 footers.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 11-05-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-05-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Based upon how you're planning to use her, I'd go for the Sabre but be sure to check for Sabre Rot. Bottom of bulkheads, compression post support in the bilge. Take a hard look at the structural beam & be sure the head doors can close.

I'm surprised there's such a large HP motor in her, the 28' & 30's had 13-15 HP.
Old 11-05-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

The newer Yanmar is tempting, but agree it's a fair amount of HP, way more than most 30 footers. More than I have in my 34'
Is it too big...I'm not qualified to answer, but I'm guessing no.
Old 11-05-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

There's no such thing as too much horsepower - just ask any hot rodder.

Seriously though, as long as the bigger engine doesn't rob valuable space, it should only affect your fuel consumption a bit and on a sailboat that ain't exactly a major factor.

Keep in mind that big alternators can place a MAJOR drag on a small engine.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 11-05-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-05-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

We have 40+ hp on a 11,000 pound 34 footer.. more than most but it's good to have the reserve sometimes, esp in choppy headwinds.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-05-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

In a word,

Sabre

but as others have mentioned make sure she is solid, and of course a survey...

I am biased, having owned a Sabre 38, an awesome boat in every way.
Old 11-05-2012

4arch is on a distinguished road

Not to throw a wrench into the works, but have you considered the Lippincott 30? I know I'm biased, but we chose it over a Bristol 29.9 with similar needs to yours. It has a similar nice wood interior to the Bristol with performance characteristics more in line with the Sabre.

Ultimately these 70s/80s production 30 footers are probably more similar than they are different so it's just a matter of choosing the one that you'll have the most fun sailing and will be the most comfortable to live aboard. On a lot of them they skimped either on the length of the v-berth or the width of the double berth in the salon, so be sure to test out whichever berth you plan to use regularly.