Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2004

ISLANDCHIEF60 is on a distinguished road
Beneteau 423

Thanks everyone for your advise. However I will continue to stand by word and say that as far as my use for the boat a first series is NOT any stronger to warrent a $25,000 increase. Example 47.3 $275,00, 47.7 First + 25,000, Tall mast option + 25,000. The only thing that is better is the sail performance. I`m not out to set a world record. Just kick back and have fun. All I wanted to know was, does anyone have any FIRST HAND KNOWLEGE of these two boats? Not get into some woopty doo high and mighty debate over the difference between a first and a numbered series boat. Some of you guys sound so up tight. Are you the stereo type white slack, polo **** with the colar up, no sock haven, deck shoe wearing, Rolex toaten, white captain hat wearig,yacht cub snob that you sound like? Do you even know who Jimmy Buffet is? When was the last time you were on the hook, had a Bar-B-Q, got drunk and had lots of sex with your woman? If you have to think about that, then you should stop what you doing, go sailing and have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2004

meolsen is on a distinguished road
Beneteau 423

Don''t forget: no sails come with the First, that''s $30,000 too.
Old 04-23-2004

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
Beneteau 423

Now now.... Enough with the name calling.

I was just tryin to help someone who had circumnavigation asperations from discovering his pride and joy is unsuited for the task he envisioned it.

I would like to think that my many thousands of miles of blue water experience, including a couple of trans-atlantics, trips to the carribe, coupled with almost 40 years sailing all types of craft might be able to allow me to speak on the subject. Not to mention being caught up in some truly bad weather many thousands of miles from help.

My current boat is a 37'' Heritage 1 Ton. A project boat, I have been carefully rebuilding her over the last few years. Yet I sail her every chance I get, no matter what she looks like. It is a labor of love for me, and I enjoy taking her our and sailing past many of the newer more expensive boats we encounter.

I own a Timex, drive a Subaru, do my own repairs on everything I own, including my house. I ride bicycles avidly and used to race both road and mountain bikes. I''m the IT Director of a half billion dollar company, which is to say I work for a living.

I am a person that is very opinionated, sorry to say. I have always offered my opinion, regardless of how it was received, take it or leave it. I took you at your word that you were going to circumnavigate in a vessel that is clearly not intended to do so. If you are only going to go out, "Get drunk and screw" (to quote your immortal bard), fine, have a blast.

But if you are struggling in a storm, wondering if you and your boat are going to make it through in one peice, alive, in the middle of the Pacific, you may recall, I told you so!
Old 04-25-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Beneteau 423

Island Chief 60, If you think that the 423 and the 473 are constructed the same as the First 40.7, 43.7 and the 47.7 you have not done your homework. This is not all that hard.

Go aboard a 423 and a 473 double stateroom model and climb into the sail locker. If you look at the bulkheads forward and aft of you you will observe that they are glued in and not tabbed in. If you look at the bilge you will note that there are no longitudinal frames on the hull above or below the waterline. If you look overhead aft near the aft bulkhead you can see the hull to deck flange. It is approximately 2 1/2" to 3" in width. Walk into the forward head and you will note that the only transverse framing is the forward glued in bulkhead and there isn''t any longitudinal framing.

Now go aboard the First 40.7 and look in the lazarette. If you look at the bulkhead at the forward end of the locker you will notice that it is tabbed in with reasonably wide tabbing consisting of mulitple layers of glass. Look up at the deck flange and you will note fairly close bolt spacing and a 3 to 3 1/2" flange. Lift the bunk flat in the aft cabin and you will observe transverse and longitudinal framing. Do the same under the Vee berth and you will observe both transverse and longitudinal framing.

These are substantive differences. The glued in bulkheads alone should be a warning that this is not a boat that is suitable for the sheer amount of use no less abuse inplied in a circumnavigation. If you do not understand the significance of these easy to observe differences that I would respectfully suggest that you need to bone up on boat construction before you attempt your circumnavigation.

Lastly, all of us who have made comments here do so to be helpful to you in your process of selecting a boat. You came here soliciting information and we have provided it in the spirit of being helpful and honest. I, for one, have nothing to prove here. I have submitted my comments in the same spirit that I would attempt to throw a line to help any sailor who is in need of help. Trying to be insulting towards those of us who have attempted to be of assistance to you is just plain rude and out of line.

Respectfully,
Jeff

Old 04-25-2004
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Beneteau 423

Why is it that there are so many questions asked on this forum that people do not want the answer to?

IslandChief, if your intent is to buy the 473 and circumnavigate then state it so. It could read something like " I am buying this boat and circumnavigating. If you don''t hear from me in 2 years I did not make it!"
Why ask people to waste their time giving their opinion if you don''t want to hear answers that don''t agree with yours?
Old 04-25-2004

Fishboat is on a distinguished road
Beneteau 423

"Some people would rather die than think, many do"
Old 04-27-2004

ISLANDCHIEF60 is on a distinguished road
Beneteau 423

Thanks Jeff for the technical update. That is the kind of information I was looking for. I apologize for my name calling. I was on a 2 cabin 47.3 this weekend and thought it to be a sound boat. However I didn`t have time to look at it as closely as I wanted to. I will consult Beneteau about what you said and get back to you. Thank you for the striaght forward info.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.