Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2004

foxglove is on a distinguished road
Sabre v. Pearson

I used to charter Sabres in the Chesapeake Bay and have owned a Pearson 323 for 21 years.

I like both boats. However, having done numerous maintenance projects on my Pearson, my opinion is that Pearson does (did) everything right. It seems that everytime I read about some mishap (prop shaft falling out, lead gravel pouring out after holing a keel, gate valve shearing off) I consider if that could happen to me and I always determine that Pearson has me covered. The Sabres occasionally gave me trouble which required a chase boat visit.

The Pearson is also a sturdy boat. I''ve rammed into 15 footers on Lake Erie and rammed into piers about every place else.

Pearson did get left behind in design. The Sabres I chartered had cozy quarter berths or a head aft the companionway. The living area of my Pearson ends at the bulkhead which make the boat less livable than the Sabres.

I was alway able to trim a Sabre for speed more effectively than the Pearson. I don''t race but I like to get the most out of the sails and the Sabre seemed to respond to my tinkering better than the Pearson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2004

newuser is on a distinguished road
Sabre v. Pearson

Interesting what you say about the ability to trim the Sabre. It was a heavy boat, and I always found it hard to figure out whether an adjustment (loosen backstay, tighten outhaul) did anything, since you didn''t feel any acceleration or decelaration, the boat took so long to respond, and the wind changed in the meantime. But relative to a Pearson, perhaps I had it good.

Old 03-30-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Sabre v. Pearson

If the question had been how does a Pearson 323 compare with a Sabre, I would agree with you 100%. But the question was about the Pearson 31, which was built substantially later and which seemed to be a less wholesome design and of a less robust build quality.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Old 03-30-2004

windship has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Sabre v. Pearson

newuser,
The Sabre''s displacemant is 9,400 Lbs.
The pearson''s is 10,000.

Dennis
Old 03-30-2004
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Sabre v. Pearson

Big O,

Glad to know you''re hanging in there after all these posts.

Answers to your questions: For anything related to Pearson Yachts, THE definitive website is one put together by a fellow named Dan Pfeiffer. The address is www.pearsoninfo.net. Click on the 31-2 link in the line up and you''ll see more photos of the boat.

As for problems with Pearsons made in the years leading up to 1991 when Pearson went belly up, I don''t think that''s an issue. In fact, the 31-2 pictured in the above website belongs to a fellow named Bill Crane, who says his 31-2 was the last boat out of the factory before they closed the doors. I''ve owned a P-27 since new in 1989, and also now own a 1988 P-33-2 and have had no problems I''d relate to any financial problems Pearson may have been having. Also, remember that these boats are now at least a dozen years old and are still going strong. As a general rule, the boats are holding up very well.

As for looks, obviously I like the distinctive look Bill Shaw dsigned in the mid-1980''s and used throughout the line. They are handsome boats in my book. And just today at my marina three different people told me how pretty my 33-2 is. So others share my opinion.

And we know what they say about opinions........

I don''t think you can beat the quality/price ratio of a Pearson, but that''s just me. It''s your money, so buy what makes you happy. that''s what it''s all about.
Old 03-31-2004
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
Sabre v. Pearson

So sailormitch-miller, what did you think of that hotrod you crossed lake Michigan on last year?? If anyone wants photos of sailormitch behind the wheel of a Sabre please contact me.
Old 03-31-2004
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Sabre v. Pearson

Denr,

Given my lengthy Pearson credentials, I have tried to keep quiet about those 5 glorious days on your Sabre. Besides, if I could afford a Sabre 34 I would''ve bought one instead of my P-33! You especially know that I have said if I won Lotto, a new S-362 would suddenly appear in my slip -- except Sabre no longer makes new 362''s. "Oh well" on that one.

Hey, I greatly admire Sabres. I''d be proud to own one. I just happened to go with a boat (my P-33-2) that fits my budget, is of more than acceptable quality, and also fits my intended use. Pay your money and take your pick.
Old 03-31-2004

windship has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Sabre v. Pearson

Denr,
You own Sabre 34? My friend had a 34.What a wonderfull boat and no solid overhead fiberglass liner.

Dennis
Old 04-09-2004

BigO is on a distinguished road
Sabre v. Pearson

Thanks again to all of you folks for your posts. They were extremetly helpful (not to mention entertaining).

While I will be taking a hard look at the aforementioned Sabres and Pearson, a substantially different (I believe) boat has re-emerged on my short list. I need your advice even more for this one, but I think it''s best to start a new thread. Hope to "see" you there.
Old 08-18-2006

jgsailor is on a distinguished road
I'm in the process of buying a Sabre 30 Mk II, 1983. It seems to be quite well built, with very few obvious problems. I am having trouble finding a definitive source of information for this model. I've been to the Sabre website, and there is useful information there (e.g., the complete user manual), but I'm wondering if there's a user association I can might contact or join. If so, could you let me know.

FYI, I also consider Pearsons to be quite well-made, but I found a good deal on this Sabre (well, I think it's a good deal) :-)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.