SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Sabre v. Pearson (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/9413-sabre-v-pearson.html)

BigO 03-26-2004 11:39 AM

Sabre v. Pearson

Can some of you folks help me to compare the Sabre 30-I (1979-82) & 30-II (1983-85) with the Pearson 31-II (1987-91)? Use would be for Great Lakes cruising and daysailing. Any comments or info would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff_H 03-27-2004 12:44 PM

Sabre v. Pearson

The Sabres are generally better built, equipped and finished, they generally sail better and are faster. The 31 II was one of the reasons that Pearson went belly up. They world of boat building was changing and Pearson was not keeping up.

Jeff

SailorMitch 03-27-2004 03:21 PM

Sabre v. Pearson

First my biases. I currently own two Pearsons, a 1988 P-33-2 (bought late last fall) and a 1989 P-27. Hopefully within another week I will only own the P-33. I also am the commodore of the Pearson Sailing Association of the Chesapeake Bay. I wrote an article on the history of Pearson Yachts that appeared in Good Old Boat magazine several years ago (check there website for it.)

Thus, perhaps you understand why I totally disagree with Jeff''s comments about the P-31-2 and why Pearson went out of business. Sabre went out of business at about the same time but was saved by sugar daddy owners. Unfortunately, Pearson had no such savior in 1991 when it closed its doors. But this isn''t about the sailboat market 15 years ago.

The P-31-2 is a fine boat. I probably know half a dozen owners and all of them love the boat. If you want to check out their opionions for yourself, please sign up for the Pearson email list here on Sailnet and ask your questions there. (Click on the Join E-mail List button to the left as you read this.) The P-31 would be a terrific boat for Great Lakes Sailing.

Having said that, the Sabre 30 is a venerable boat. I considered them while searching for a larger boat. As always, it comes down to which boat grabs you.

As for Sabre''s being faster than Pearson''s, the S-30-2 has a PHRF rating of 174. The P-31-2 has a PHRF rating of 156. Go figure.

Jeff_H 03-27-2004 05:19 PM

Sabre v. Pearson

I am not sure where you found the PHRF that you quote and I know that they vary from region to region but looking at LIS the Sabre 30 rates 162 and the Pearson 31-2 rates 165. It looks to me like the Sabre is slightly faster. There is a shoal draft version of the Sabre 30 that rates 174 but LIS did not have a shoal draft rating for the Pearson with which to compare it.

Jeff

SailorMitch 03-27-2004 05:29 PM

Sabre v. Pearson

www.phrfne.org

And yes, it''s well known that PHRF ratings vary by region.

SailorMitch 03-27-2004 05:46 PM

Sabre v. Pearson

Just to clarify since I know how utterly important this point is to some -- the phrfne.org site has a 165 rating for a Pearson 31-2 with a winged keel and 156 with a fin keel. The original post was about a Sabre 30-2, which rates 174 on that site (no mention of fin or shoal draft keel.) The Sabre 30-3 rates 165, again no mention ok which keel. So if you want to race these two boats, put me in the Pearson.

windship 03-28-2004 03:12 AM

Sabre v. Pearson

The Sabre is 600 Lbs.lighter, has a 1" longer waterline,has 3" thinner beam, the draft''s are 4'' and 5''9" (P 3''11" wing 5''9" fin).The pearson has 32 more feet of sail area.
It seems to me that the Sabre would be faster and the Sabre is pretier, has a much nicer interior,much better built and will have better resale value.
Sorry for buttin'' in,

Dennis

windship 03-28-2004 03:15 AM

Sabre v. Pearson

My post is for the P-31 not the 32.
9my ''edit''isn''t working.

Dennis

BigO 03-29-2004 07:15 AM

Sabre v. Pearson

Thanks to all for your posts.

SailorMitch, great article on the history of Pearson. I have been subscribed to the Pearson and Sabre mail lists and have gotten help there as well, although it''s slightly biased ;) .

I have been researching and looking for a boat for 2 years. One year ago I decided that a Sabre 30-I or 30-II would be the optimal boat for me given my priorities, intended use, budget, etc., and, besides, I like how they look.

I have looked into every S-30 that''s been on the market in the last 2 years, came close a couple of times, but no cigar. Somewhat frustrated, I recently started taking another look at boats that I had ruled out, which is when the P31-II came to my attention.

I have not been on a P31-II yet, although I plan to see one soon. Do you know of any GOOD exterior photos of P31-IIs (not necessarily for sale) on the internet? (Other than those on Yachtworld.) I''m trying to get a better handle on their looks before I make a trip.

Also, would you say that a P31-II built in 1987 (when the Company had relatively stable operations) would be less likely to have a construction defect than one built in the final year the Company was in business?

Thanks.

Bob1112 03-30-2004 08:52 AM

Sabre v. Pearson

I can''t speak to the Pearson, but I know a little about the Sabres. The Mark I was a rocket; very favorably rated under PHRF. The Mark III was good all-around, but not so favorably rated. The Mark III shoal-draft was good in light air, but performance fell off as the wind picked up.