Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
C&c 36

I'd like to hear what the members have to say about the C&C 36 built in the late 70's.

Good, bad or indifferent?
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: C&c 36

A friend bought one recently, a '79. Decent space, typical traditional layout, I think they will have cored hull and deck. Feels solid and fairly stiff walking around, much more so than our boat. They are quite happy with it, having moved up from a Wiley 34..

Have not had an opportunity to sail alongside her, so no comparison there. They are going pretty cheap these days, I think he paid low 20s if that and it needed new portlights and some cosmetic work but nothing major.

Prior to the emergence of Benes, Hunters and Jeanneaus they were the staple of the Vancouver charter fleet...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-16-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Good solid boat. Most are cored Hulls true, but that shouldnt deter you if the thru hulls were bedded properly and you get good moisture readings.. Two of my friendds have them and they like most C&Cs are stiff and well designed boats to windward. Good close angles. They handle well and therefore are considered tender over 15-18, but once you find out how to conrol with sails and reefing they are quite stable.

They are a great combination racer cruiser with a double quarterberth and good sized V. The cabin configuratuon with the U and the table is not in the way of moving forward and aft. The Galley is safe U shaped with centerline sinks also and the Nav station is good sized. C&C Build is good quality. The 36 is very similar to our 35 MKIII,

Negative...Windows leak, and engine acess is tight

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-16-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road

all good
Just did some work on a bulkhead
standard 3 quarter inch~ amazing construction
they sail beautifully
-JD
Old 11-16-2012
Senior Moment Member

Thanks people. I have no concerns about their construction - the C&C rep pretty well covers that.

The reason I was asking is because they are part of a series that doesn't have the best rep of the various C&C models - the 26, 29, 34 & 36. I've seen/read a number of comments over the years that indicate these models were regarded as "failures", at least within the context of C&C's usual sterling reputation.

Their PHRF of 129 is not exactly superfast for a 36'. The locally built Peterson Ganbare's rate 111 and they are a considerably older design.

I have no idea what their light air performance is either - critically important around here.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 11-16-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

So how do you plan to use the next boat?
Old 11-16-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
So how do you plan to use the next boat?
Daysailing & local cruising. The reason we sold the big Columbia is that we came to realize we don't want to do any long term cruising. We thought we'd spend a month or more onboard at a time in the summer and so forth but we now know we don't want to - a week in Desolation Sound, 3 or 4 days in the Gulf Islands and so forth and we want to get off for a while.

Taking some friends out for the day or overnight, spur of the moment for a few hours when the sailing looks good - that sort of thing.

11 tons of boat was simply too much work & expense for that. 6 tons should be just about right - enough comfort and performance but easily handled without scrounging up crew every time.

Anyhoo - the C&C just showed up at a reduced (again) price - looks like they haven't had any offers for the fairly long time it's been on the market so it may be time for some bottom feeding.
Old 11-16-2012

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road

Brochure available here C&C Resource Center

Our family had a 1981 C&C36 from 1980 thru 1990. Essentially the same as the 79 model with different windows. Headroom over 6' - my Dad is 6'3" and could stand upright inside.

The boat is not tender like the 29 or 34 of that area. It is not painfully slow like the 26. It is reasonably stiff and sails well to windward etc... Is not quite as racey as some of the others.

The 9 years we had the boat we were very pleased with it. Yes the windows did leak. If you join the C&C owners email list the process of rebedding or replacing these windows has been covered extensively

I would say is a good boat. Sails well, has interior room and is not piggish

Mike

Old 11-16-2012
Senior Moment Member

Thanks all - I went to look at it but the owner was "eccentric" to put it politely - the whole situation reeked of bad karma so I walked.

The experience did ruin my whole day though.
Old 11-16-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Thanks all - I went to look at it but the owner was "eccentric" to put it politely - the whole situation reeked of bad karma so I walked.

The experience did ruin my whole day though.
Bummer.... boat name???

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)