Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2001

Yflyer555 is on a distinguished road
Need Info:MorganOut Islanders

Hi Folks.. I''m looking at an older 28 Morgan OutIlsander... we sail in Long Island sound and want to go to MA, Cape, ME./ I have been told the boat will do 5 to 6 knots, but does not sail on a reach to well... I have an ODay 25 CB which is extremely light and wanted a heavier, more stable boat.. don''t really care when I get there, just want to be comfortable.. any Comments would be appreciated....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2001

cdeans is on a distinguished road

We have a 30 foot 1976 Out Islander that we truly love. The 30 footer replaced the 28, but is basically the same boat. We''ve had this boat for 7 years after buying her from her original owners. It sails just fine on a reach, just doesn''t like to sail windward. It is also reliable in a stronger blow. These are solidly built, seakindly, trustworthy boats.

We have recently finished the first leg of a refit...and the more we tore into her, the more impressed we were by the way she was built. Very thoughtful touches that you find only on more expensive boats now - thru'' bolted, back-plated stanchions and stays; wiring that runs along the side of the cabin and is easily accessible; an engine you can actually get to (rare for a smaller boat); heavy layup of fiberglass (which makes fixing any blisters pretty easy); a galley you can actually cook in; plenty of headroom. Captain Morgan certainly knew what he was doing.

Ours has the original Yanmar diesel that still purrs. I don''t recommend the Atomic 4 that came on some of the earlier models. You also may find you have to replace the ports. We replaced ours with the Bomar RainDrain and the boat stays cozy and dry.

Good luck on your search. If you''re looking for a seakindly, seaworthy, forgiving boat, this is a good one.

Old 03-19-2001

rbh1515 is on a distinguished road

I had a Morgan OI33. It was a great cruising boat. Very roomy and solid, but the Out Islands are typically slow and don''t point well. I sold mine and bought a 26'' daysailor. If you are in to cruising, it is a great boat for the money. You may want to consider a 33 because of the room. Go to:
http://www.boats.com/index.jsp
There are a lot of Morgan OI28''s listed for sale in the Northeast (CT, MA and NJ). It may be worthwhile looking at a few different ones and getting the best one. Good luck.
Also, join the Morgan email group here on Sailnet and ask questions about the boat before you buy. Its a very active email group, and you will get answers. Also, get a survey. Any questions, feel free to email me directly. Rob ~~~~_/)~~~~