Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1688Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I am not about to screw anyone out of their cruising dreams ,by spreading disinformation designed to screw them out of their dreams...
Really? There sure seems to be a fair amount of rusty, blocked-up evidence to the contrary out there.

I guess those are just the drunk/junkie clients you mentioned?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Jak:
I always avoided the ex-pats hang-outs in my travels. They are generally not happy places. The locals this, the locals that. While they live off the locals. The "yacht club" in American Samoa was just such a place. But I have to admit that from time to time you do want the company of other Americans. For bad or worse. It's nice to speak English. It's just not what they say.

Church was fun.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 09-11-2013
grumpy old man

Whoa,,,,Smackers is on a roll!

Bob's Blog ....

Old 09-11-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Jak:
I always avoided the ex-pats hang-outs in my travels. They are generally not happy places. The locals this, the locals that. While they live off the locals. The "yacht club" in American Samoa was just such a place. But I have to admit that from time to time you do want the company of other Americans. For bad or worse. It's nice to speak English. It's just not what they say.

Church was fun.
Yup, exactly.I can speak Thai and Lao fairly well but still about every 4 or 5 days my brain just needs a rest and refuses to work.Someone will say something simple and I just blank out and look befuddled.At those time it was good to speak English
Old 09-11-2013
grumpy old man

Jak:
I know exactly what yoy are saying.
I have worked hard to learn Mandarin and I can cope but there are times I need to speak English even when the people I have to speak it with are not my idea of noble people.

But they probably look at me as "not noble". So there.

I think we would get along just fine.
Sa wah dee ka ( sp)

Bob's Blog ....

Old 09-11-2013

Ya I hear that Bob.Just one thing say Sawadee Kap. Sawadee Ka is what a woman would say.Kap for males Ka for female.;-).Learning the language definately opens alot of doors.Even if you learn the most basic phrases people really appreciate it.And its fun.
Old 09-11-2013
grumpy old man

Oh yeah, I knew that.

It's a bit like:
"An you kay so oh" when you are the one leaving and "An yo ka say oh" when you are the one being left. In Korean.

I'll get it straight. Evenetually. You are right. People repsect the effort and everyone becomes a teacher.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 09-11-2013

Yup, The best experiences in my life.I learned by winging it and then people would help me with the correct way.I made lots of life long friends that way.
Old 09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
You are still left with the inevitable deck leaks, which require you to re-bed things down from time to time. Welded down stainless never leaks.
Wooden boats are impossible to insulate adequately , without inviting dry rot. They also are far more flammable, and thru hulls in them are far less trouble free, than welded in stainless pipe nipples. It doesn't let you use a part of your hull as a keel cooler, leaving you with salt water intake, salt water pump and heat exchanger problems.
I once hit a sunken bulldozer at hull speed, in Christmas Island lagoon . Zero damage .
Wow I better save my Uncle then.He lives on a grand banks 36 in Portalnd ME year round,Poor guy must be freezing his nadz off!.And Ill have to go tell my Salmon fisherman friend that he is crazy to have been fishing for 35+ years in a WOOD boat built in 1946 and that its impossible to use his keel cooling system on his wood boat.Poor fool doasnt know what hes doing!.
Old 09-11-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Here's another BrentBoat that took a bit longer than a couple of months to go from steel sheet to sail:

Good Old Boat - Reader Photos

Quote:
BRENT SWAIN 36
Brent Swain 36
My boat is a 36-foot steel Brent Swain design built by Evan Shaler in Nanaimo, BC. It was discovered in a storage yard and at the time was 18 years old and had never been in the water. The original professional builder was located and asked to complete the welding and stainless detailing. A temporary interior was installed out of 2 x 4 lumber and CDX plywood and, after rigging by YachtTech Spars and sails by Port Townsend sails were installed, we sailed the boat back home to Alaska. The mast was unstepped and the boat trailered home to my house where I spent 2 years completing the interior. Her name is Sherpa and she was finally launched for real in heavy rain the day after Memorial Day, 2012. This picture was taken in Thumb Cove this last fall. . -- Joseph Earsley
18 YEARS as a shattered dream in a storage yard??? Then 2 YEARS just to finish out the interior??? THAT'S 20 YEARS!!!

Are these some of the ones you say were hitting the sauce Brent?

Oh well, one man's nightmare is another man's dream I guess. It did turn out pretty nicely.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-12-2013 at 08:34 AM.