Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1721Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Metal is safer in lightning storms. Electricity will travel only on the outside of the hull. Personally would rather be in Fe/Al in that setting. Looking into lightning ground plate from Ward's Marine Electric given I'm in grp.

Personally prefer to be called by my first name outside professional setting. When called Mr. think they're talking about my father. He passed some years ago so I get confused.
Old 09-13-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Being a devout classical music fan I like being called "Maestro". It reminds me of all the great musical masters who worked hard to achieve greatness. I admire that. In my case it's usually said, with tongue formly in cheek and that's fine with me. I still like it. It's a compliment and if you can'r discern the difference between that and name calling I can't help you.

My friends call me Bob and Robert. Some of my old friends call me "Hoidard" because on one of my driver's licenses years ago that's how my middle name, Howard, was spelled.
Some of my friends call me Caesar because I am very good at making a Caesar salad from scratch. I don't consider any of these terms of affection "name calling".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 09-13-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

How about Maestro Hoidard Caesar?
Old 09-13-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Metal is safer in lightning storms. Electricity will travel only on the outside of the hull. Personally would rather be in Fe/Al in that setting. Looking into lightning ground plate from Ward's Marine Electric given I'm in grp.

Personally prefer to be called by my first name outside professional setting. When called Mr. think they're talking about my father. He passed some years ago so I get confused.
The Faraday Cage phenomenon? Makes sense. But I assume that if any storm gets anywhere close that has any possibility of lightning, you wouldn't want to be on-deck sailing the boat?

That sounds pretty fragile.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-13-2013
grumpy old man

I knew Faraday Cage and you're no Faraday Cage.

Great name for a high tech rock band.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 09-13-2013
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

what page does this smack down start as reading it backwards is confusing, but reading 30+ pages doesn't agree with my lifespan
Old 09-13-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
what page does this smack down start as reading it backwards is confusing, but reading 30+ pages doesn't agree with my lifespan
Sorry bro. Gotta do your homework. However, hold tight for a bit. I'm creating an awesome index of The Best of BS.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-13-2013
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Brent's whole deal, his 'design philosophy' is that his steel boats are super strong when you hit a reef. That's it.

Thereby if you spend your time on your boat doing anything other than hitting reef's his boats are essentially unsuitable.

I would prefer a sailboat that sails, and to then try very hard to not hit reefs, than a reef-proof boat that doesn't sail.

Smack I believe there is a bit of a story to Brent's first Pacific crossing and hitting that reef, I recall snipets. I do give Brent credit for getting out there so young and living the adventure. That takes balls of steel. I wish he would post more about those adventures on here rather than just spouting Brentboat propaganda.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Last edited by chall03; 09-13-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-13-2013
grumpy old man

"Thereby if you spend your time on your boat doing anything other than hitting reef's his boats are essentially unsuitable."

I'll challenge that just for the fun of it.

Brent's boats are totally suitable if someone wants the security or imagined security of having a steel boat around them. As I said when I first got into this food fight and most others posting on this agree, steel is the "toughest" material. But it's also heavy and has some very serious cosmetic challenges. rent has yet to show us one of his boats that would qualify as a "yacht" by most standards. They are "boats" and for Brent's customers that's all they want. Good enough. I have no problem with that. I design yachts. I have no problem with that either.

Here's my buddy Guy's boat that I designed. It's beautiful and it's very fast. He lives in BC so I suspect it will go flying by Brent one of these days. Guy loves it.
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and cons of steel sailboats-altairx3.jpg   Pros and cons of steel sailboats-altairx4.jpg   Pros and cons of steel sailboats-altairx2.jpg  

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 09-13-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2013
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road

Lucky Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
"Thereby if you spend your time on your boat doing anything other than hitting reef's his boats are essentially unsuitable."

I'll challenge that just for the fun of it.

Brent's boats are totally suitable if someone wants the security or imagined security of having a steel boat around them. As I said when I first got into this food fight and most others posting on this agree, steel is the "toughest" material. But it's also heavy and has some very serious cosmetic challenges. rent has yet to show us one of his boats that would qualify as a "yacht" by most standards. They are "boats" and for Brent's customers that's all they want. Good enough. I have no problem with that. I design yachts. I have no problem with that either.

Here's my buddy Guy's boat that I designed. It's beautiful and it's very fast. He lives in BC so I suspect it will go flying by Brent one of these days. Guy loves it.