Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Homesick Sushi,on the high seas wrecking plastic boats since 2011
Old 09-14-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
At out front door on the left coast of NA. Been a few things showing up. Fiberglass boats, concrete pontoons, a BIG steel hulk that was ready to be cut up. A upper teen foot fiberglass bayliner out board style........glass floats, other debris.......

Marty
How has it not destroyed your fragile plastic boat yet? You must not leave the dock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-14-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I've been using that bayliner I rescued from Japan as a sailboat! Helped it abit with a steel keel, steel mast, a few steel ribs...........

Great little boat from over yonder! now if I could make it ALL steel..........yep....yasiree......

oh, 21 days smack. You coming up for FWB?!?!?!?!?
Old 09-14-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post

Wow. That's a ton of hands on, experience based information from me, and only adolescent smart ass sarcasm from you, with absolutely noting useful or constructive from you. I don't see any rust in those photos,. So where does that leave your credibility. You asked for photos of my 29 year old paint job. You posted them, showing zero rust or corrosion.
Sure a paint job would look far better if my boat were a marina queen like most of Bobs rarely leaving the dock except for a two week summer vacation and the odd weekend cruise. Then back to work to pay for it all.
Those guys have all headed back to work from here leaving paradise free and empty for those of us who live more resourcefully .
I am a demonstration of how freely one can cruise, semi retired since my mid 20s, by following my own advice.
So if you DON'T want to have the same degree of freedom, then you definitely DON'T want to follow my way of doing things.
So tell us smack . How much full time cruising have you done since your mid 20s?

You say your way can accomplish more? Your life disproves it!.
I stand by the posts I have made above
The Bob Perry design my friend bought has 24 inch high stanchions
Okay dude, from this point, you're on your own. Quit $hitting on the low-buck carpet, mmmkay?
bobperry likes this.

Old 09-14-2013

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Brent,

You made the following statement:

"a marina queen like most of Bobs rarely leaving the dock except for a two week summer vacation and the odd weekend cruise. Then back to work to pay for it all.
Those guys have all headed back to work from here leaving paradise free and empty for those of us who live more resourcefully .
I am a demonstration of how freely one can cruise, semi retired since my mid 20s, by following my own advice".................

Just suppose, all those guys owning marina queens, with occasional crusing vacation, and then back to work, chose for themselves the life style that they have, just as you have yours. I'm just guessing that most of them wouldn't give up their life style for one like yours. And, it could be that their chosen life style gives them lots of rewards that yours can't provide.

There is more than one way to live a successful, rewarding life. Most people select a route different than you have chosen. Yours may be fine for you, but it's not, nor should it be everyone's choice.
Old 09-14-2013
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Sure a paint job would look far better if my boat were a marina queen like most of Bobs rarely leaving the dock except for a two week summer vacation and the odd weekend cruise.
Marina Queens??

Brent your not getting it. There are more people cruising the world on Bob's boats than your boats. That is indisputable fact. Bob's boat's have been voted/reviewed and agreed to be the best in the world. This is indisputable fact. Yet you continue to spout dog shite on here that is just wrong.

Quote:
I am a demonstration of how freely one can cruise, semi retired since my mid 20s, by following my own advice.
So if you DON'T want to have the same degree of freedom, then you definitely DON'T want to follow my way of doing things.
So tell us smack . How much full time cruising have you done since your mid 20s?
Brent your a demonstation of how one can hit alot of reefs in ugly boats that is all. You paint yourself as the cruiser's crusader. Your not.

I am also a cruiser mate, I semiretired a couple of years ago at 31, I haven't done as many nautical miles as you but I haven't hit any reefs yet either, I cruise on a budget as well, this does mean everything isn't shiny and new, yet I still don't feel the need to attack or preach to others who are doing things differently to us.

I think that is what cruising is kinda about, meeting people from different walks, different means, different cultures and it not mattering at all.
JomsViking likes this.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 09-14-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

320:
Nicely put but I feel it falls on deaf ears and a very closed mind.
Not to worry. I understood.

Chall:
You sound like my kind of guy. You meet a guy cruising in his boat and you don't judge. You just admire that both of you enjoy doing the same thing and facing the same challenges.

Not sure why this is hard to grasp for some. Life is not that complicated.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 09-14-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Y'know, having said all of this, it ain't all a Bob or Brent kinda world.
Get out there. Make like Nike, and "Just do it." If that means you call up Bob and commission a new design and cut a big-ass cheque, cool- more power to you. if that means that you clear a corner of your drive shed and order up some sheet and a crapload of rod for your welder and go to town- more power to you.

Or if that means you find a boat that suits you, does what you need when you need it and fits your refit fitness, then... more power to you.

But do something.
Life ain't waiting.

Last edited by bljones; 09-14-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-15-2013
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Get out there. Make like Nike, and "Just do it." If that means you call up Bob and commission a new design and cut a big-ass cheque, cool- more power to you. if that means that you clear a corner of your drive shed and order up some sheet and a crapload of rod for your welder and go to town- more power to you.

Or if that means you find a boat that suits you, does what you need when you need it and fits your refit fitness, then... more power to you.

But do something.
Life ain't waiting.
Great point. The OP (remember way back?) was one of those that had already been out there doing it and was curious for practical reasons about steel which he had no experience. Brent Swain was a great proponent for its advantages but has been killing his own argument by attacking literally all that do not agree completely with his opinion. Getting into it with Bob just takes it into the land of ridiculous. It seems like someone going after Les Paul for not having enough experience with guitars.

It is starting to look like a certain anchor thread from way back that involved another individual that drew fire on themselves by having a similar attitude about their products vs everyone else. Sadly it really is a great subject.

Smack, that post has to be one of the best quote collections I have ever seen. Incredible. Be careful or you will end up the sailnet historian.
Old 09-15-2013
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post

But do something.
Life ain't waiting.
Well said.

In reality I actually probably cruise more like Brent. In philosophy though it appears we are quite different.

There is truth in what Brent says, if you want to go cruising around the Pacific in your 20's then you probably will not be commissioning Bob Perry to design you a custom boat.

The difference is that I doubt Bob would care. I am fairly sure he would not expect that you MUST do it in one of his boats. Brent does demand this, Swainology states that if you do not build one of his boats you face certain peril.

I object only to the narrow minded, fanatical lengths he takes his approach. I also object( like you alluded BJ ) to him self appointing himself as the poster child for cost conscious cruising.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Closed Thread