Pros and cons of steel sailboats - Page 11 - SailNet Community
 1723Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 5317 Old 07-08-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

as re the benefits of steelies--you can bounce em off a rock and not sink....lol...a friend of mine does that unintentionally-- he doesnt ground--he bounces off rocks....egads...
also beneficial is that no one will anchor near ye....lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 5317 Old 07-08-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
With a skilled owner and good tools, I've put together a 36 ft hull in two days or tacked together the shell( Hull, decks, wheelhouse, cabin, cockpit keel and skeg ) in 6 days.

When the cost of steel to build a 36 was around $4K ,the cost of aluminium to build the same boat was around $20K, and aluminium welding equipment was far more expensive . You can only weld aluminium outside in a dead calm, in dry weather. Aluminium welds are only 60% the strength of the surrounding metal, whereas steel welds are 100% , demand far less skill, and are far harder to screw up on.

On my steel 31 footer, maintenance cost has averaged around 2 hours a year, and less than $50 a year.
Brent,

Here's a 36 called MOM.

The Construction of MOM

Actually a very nice looking boat, I must say. And I think this might be one of the boats you're talking about throwing together in 6 days.

Of course, it seems it took them about 3 months to get to that point you mention above. (They obviously don't have the BS Kung Fu). Then another 7 months or so to actually get her in the water. Then another couple of years to actually finish her to a basic level of completion.

Let's see, that's...3 years from beginning to end. Wow. One could get a lot of cruising done in in 3 years in a FG boat, likely for less money, if one is just looking to cruise.

Just sayin'.

(PS - Isn't lead about a buck a pound? That would be about $5K just for the lead, bro! Where did the $4K figure come from? Are you sure you're using an abacus?)

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-08-2013 at 08:51 PM.
post #103 of 5317 Old 07-08-2013
grumpy old man

BS from BS. It never ends.
BS goes on about all this experience maintaining a steel boat then he tries to tell us it's 2 hours and $50 a year. So if BS is correct, after ten years with your steel boat you have invested 20 hours of maintainence. Amazing and not to even mention the $500.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
post #104 of 5317 Old 07-08-2013

I just painted the bottom of an Islander 36 on friday.My friend the owner had already sanded and put an undercoat of epoxy on.The bottom paint was Petits best poison, black.60% cuprous oxide.Good old fashioned bottom paint.it retails for $286 a gallon.We got it with a deep ,deep discount.it took a gallon and a half for 2 coats, a coat in the morning and a coat in the afternoon.total painting time 4 1/2 hours.The paint with the discount was still almost $300, forget about the epoxy under coat,sand paper and sanding time.
post #105 of 5317 Old 07-08-2013
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Having owned a steeler, that two hours $50 does sound remarkably dodgey to me as well. Even without addressing any possible rust issues that is a most imporbably figure. It takes a damn sight more than two hours a year to keep the plastic lady Bristol, hell it takes that long to keep the dinghy afloat.

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
post #106 of 5317 Old 07-08-2013
sailing soon

Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Most of us spend more than two hours and $50.00 a year washing our car, I cannot imagine having a boat larger than this one that did not take more than that in time or money.

It is good to learn from your mistakes, but much better to learn from the mistakes of others...
post #107 of 5317 Old 07-08-2013
grumpy old man

damn it Mark!
Now I am going to feel the need to figure out how much time I spend spiffing up my car each year. It's a hell of a lot more than two hours. But I use SEVEN BROTHERS organic dishwashing liquid. It works really well and is not too expensive so I may be able to stay under the $50 limit.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
post #108 of 5317 Old 07-08-2013

I interpreted the 2 hours and $50 comment to be topsides and deck only not bottom.
His boat is only 31 feet.

Which if Brent has stainless at any wear point and only has to touch up a chip now and then on the deck or the topsides I could see those numbers could be real.
And frankly if he went over budget by 400% and it was 8 hours and $200 I would think it would be close enough.

Brent says his paint job has lasted 29 years. AllGrip is generally expected to last about 10 years so I wonder what paint he has used?

Maybe today's paint is not as good.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.

Last edited by davidpm; 07-08-2013 at 08:08 PM.
post #109 of 5317 Old 07-08-2013
sailing soon

Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
damn it Mark!
Now I am going to feel the need to figure out how much time I spend spiffing up my car each year. It's a hell of a lot more than two hours. But I use SEVEN BROTHERS organic dishwashing liquid. It works really well and is not too expensive so I may be able to stay under the $50 limit.
I wash my pickup once or twice a week, going in and out of oilfield locations gets it nasty, a lot of lime and calcium in the soil here, so you have to keep it clean. I use either dish liquid like dawn or joy, or something like that, and then I have to clean up the glass and so forth. I figure about $10.00 a week in water, soap, and tire and wheel cleaners, another $5.00 a week on glass cleaner, and then the leather seat cleaner. Let's just say $15.00 a week, and about two hours more or less, a week.
  • $15.00 per week = $780.00 USD
    2 Hours a week = 104 hours
    I get $32.50 per hour on straight time so since my time is worth something
    $32.50 * 104 =$3,380.00 USD

Total $780.00 + $3,380.00 = $4,160.00

Now maybe other people do not account for their time, but I do, before I pay someone else to do it. If I had it washed here it would cost me $65.00 per wash, so I actually save about $80.00 per week doing it myself, and I do a lot better job of it. My truck is always clean and I am able to get a better resale on it when I trade it in, so it is okay. Not to mention that a clean truck, car, or boat just looks better. I could not live with a rust covered, streaked hull any more than I could with a filthy truck that got my clothes dirty every time I got in and out of it.

It is good to learn from your mistakes, but much better to learn from the mistakes of others...
post #110 of 5317 Old 07-08-2013
Senior Moment Member

Don't use dish soap to wash a car - it is designed to strip wax, grease, oils etc. from dishes and it does the same to a car - all your last wax job disappears.

Pay the $2 and get car washing liquid - it won't strip the last wax job.
Lou452 likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.