Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1354Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

as re the benefits of steelies--you can bounce em off a rock and not sink....lol...a friend of mine does that unintentionally-- he doesnt ground--he bounces off rocks....egads...
also beneficial is that no one will anchor near ye....lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
With a skilled owner and good tools, I've put together a 36 ft hull in two days or tacked together the shell( Hull, decks, wheelhouse, cabin, cockpit keel and skeg ) in 6 days.

When the cost of steel to build a 36 was around $4K ,the cost of aluminium to build the same boat was around $20K, and aluminium welding equipment was far more expensive . You can only weld aluminium outside in a dead calm, in dry weather. Aluminium welds are only 60% the strength of the surrounding metal, whereas steel welds are 100% , demand far less skill, and are far harder to screw up on.

On my steel 31 footer, maintenance cost has averaged around 2 hours a year, and less than $50 a year.
Brent,

Here's a 36 called MOM.

The Construction of MOM

Actually a very nice looking boat, I must say. And I think this might be one of the boats you're talking about throwing together in 6 days.

Of course, it seems it took them about 3 months to get to that point you mention above. (They obviously don't have the BS Kung Fu). Then another 7 months or so to actually get her in the water. Then another couple of years to actually finish her to a basic level of completion.

Let's see, that's...3 years from beginning to end. Wow. One could get a lot of cruising done in in 3 years in a FG boat, likely for less money, if one is just looking to cruise.

Just sayin'.

(PS - Isn't lead about a buck a pound? That would be about $5K just for the lead, bro! Where did the $4K figure come from? Are you sure you're using an abacus?)

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-08-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

BS from BS. It never ends.
BS goes on about all this experience maintaining a steel boat then he tries to tell us it's 2 hours and $50 a year. So if BS is correct, after ten years with your steel boat you have invested 20 hours of maintainence. Amazing and not to even mention the $500.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 07-08-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

I just painted the bottom of an Islander 36 on friday.My friend the owner had already sanded and put an undercoat of epoxy on.The bottom paint was Petits best poison, black.60% cuprous oxide.Good old fashioned bottom paint.it retails for $286 a gallon.We got it with a deep ,deep discount.it took a gallon and a half for 2 coats, a coat in the morning and a coat in the afternoon.total painting time 4 1/2 hours.The paint with the discount was still almost $300, forget about the epoxy under coat,sand paper and sanding time.
Old 07-08-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Having owned a steeler, that two hours $50 does sound remarkably dodgey to me as well. Even without addressing any possible rust issues that is a most imporbably figure. It takes a damn sight more than two hours a year to keep the plastic lady Bristol, hell it takes that long to keep the dinghy afloat.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-08-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Most of us spend more than two hours and $50.00 a year washing our car, I cannot imagine having a boat larger than this one that did not take more than that in time or money.

Old 07-08-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

damn it Mark!
Now I am going to feel the need to figure out how much time I spend spiffing up my car each year. It's a hell of a lot more than two hours. But I use SEVEN BROTHERS organic dishwashing liquid. It works really well and is not too expensive so I may be able to stay under the $50 limit.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 07-08-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

I interpreted the 2 hours and $50 comment to be topsides and deck only not bottom.
His boat is only 31 feet.

Which if Brent has stainless at any wear point and only has to touch up a chip now and then on the deck or the topsides I could see those numbers could be real.
And frankly if he went over budget by 400% and it was 8 hours and $200 I would think it would be close enough.

Brent says his paint job has lasted 29 years. AllGrip is generally expected to last about 10 years so I wonder what paint he has used?

Maybe today's paint is not as good.

Last edited by davidpm; 07-08-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
damn it Mark!
Now I am going to feel the need to figure out how much time I spend spiffing up my car each year. It's a hell of a lot more than two hours. But I use SEVEN BROTHERS organic dishwashing liquid. It works really well and is not too expensive so I may be able to stay under the $50 limit.
I wash my pickup once or twice a week, going in and out of oilfield locations gets it nasty, a lot of lime and calcium in the soil here, so you have to keep it clean. I use either dish liquid like dawn or joy, or something like that, and then I have to clean up the glass and so forth. I figure about $10.00 a week in water, soap, and tire and wheel cleaners, another $5.00 a week on glass cleaner, and then the leather seat cleaner. Let's just say $15.00 a week, and about two hours more or less, a week.
  • $15.00 per week = $780.00 USD
    2 Hours a week = 104 hours
    I get $32.50 per hour on straight time so since my time is worth something
    $32.50 * 104 =$3,380.00 USD

Total $780.00 + $3,380.00 = $4,160.00

Now maybe other people do not account for their time, but I do, before I pay someone else to do it. If I had it washed here it would cost me $65.00 per wash, so I actually save about $80.00 per week doing it myself, and I do a lot better job of it. My truck is always clean and I am able to get a better resale on it when I trade it in, so it is okay. Not to mention that a clean truck, car, or boat just looks better. I could not live with a rust covered, streaked hull any more than I could with a filthy truck that got my clothes dirty every time I got in and out of it.
Old 07-08-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Don't use dish soap to wash a car - it is designed to strip wax, grease, oils etc. from dishes and it does the same to a car - all your last wax job disappears.

Pay the $2 and get car washing liquid - it won't strip the last wax job.
Lou452 likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.