Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2013
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Interesting that the strongest opponents of steel are the ones who have never sailed one, and have never built owned or maintained one
Strong opponents of steel??

Would you like to identify these ghastly beasts and which posts you refer to? Then we can discuss their specific qualifications to speak on this subject.

I personally just don't see it. People discussed the design considerations and also expressed personal preferences against steel for varying reasons, while conceding that it has advantages.

I only see 'strong opponents' to some of your more outrageous claims.

Quote:
...simply parrot the disinformation propagated by plastic boat salesmen.
This is typical paranoid, patronising BS crap. We are capable of disagreeing with you all on our own without parroting anyone thanks. This disinformation you speak of, would you care to produce some data that proves it to be disinformation??

Quote:
As for performance , Silas Crosby's times were in the same range as most heavily loaded offshore cruisers , better than many, regardless of material. Paul Wilsons comments on the origamiboats site are similar experiences, faster than many stock fibreglass boats.
Moitessier ( who's steel boat I had nothing to do with) made similar fast passage times, in the roaring 40s
Anecdotal but interesting information. What is your point?? Is it that ALL Brent boats are faster than ALL 'plastic' boats? Give me a break. That some steel boats can go faster than some 'plastic' boats?? Well of course.

In general though the point stands that generally steel boats because of their weight are going to perform more poorly than a similar 'plastic' or 'aluminum' boat, particularly in a smaller yacht. This is actually based on scientific fact and figures. You can't counter physics and Newton's Law by saying I know a guy on a steel boat that once in The Pacific went faster than a plastic boat.
tdw and bobperry like this.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 09-17-2013 at 08:11 AM. Reason: typos
Old 09-17-2013
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

seems you could change a few words here and there and this thread could be about production boats or anchors
chall03 likes this.
Old 09-17-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Talked to an owner of a Baba 40 ketch yesterday. He was at the Perry Rendezvous. He was telling me about another Baba 40 ketch owner who single handed his boat around Cape Horn this year.

It's a very good looking boat that gets the job done. Apparently it was tough enough to go around the Horn.
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and cons of steel sailboats-baba-40-reaching-pic.jpg   Pros and cons of steel sailboats-baba_40_photo.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 09-17-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

It would be interesting to know the ratio of plastic-to-steel for the sailboats that have rounded the Horn. I've read about quite a few plastics having successful roundings (your Baba, Jean Socrates, Michael's Hunter "Sequitur", the Vendee boats, the VOR boats, and on and on). Very few steel.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-17-2013
grumpy old man

There was a Nordic 44 in S. America. The owner left his wife off and continued with plans nto opick her up at some arranged point. He didn't show up and this got tense. He showed up in the Falklands after rounding the Horn solo. His explanation as I recall was something like, "I just felt like going on."

Great looking boat, fast and a delight to sail. Tough enough apparently.
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and cons of steel sailboats-n44-music-2.jpg  

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 09-17-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-17-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Brent - to sweeten the pot on the block deal, I'll also throw in this snazzy ad for your yacht design firm...FOR FREE!

That's a $1,200 value! It would be $2,500 but I stole the creative from Dos Equis.

(PS - Between you and me, that starboard bow hull surface looks a tiny bit wavy. Some filler ought to fix that right up.)
chall03 and SloopJonB like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-17-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Seems to recall the OP was pro and con of steel boats. It's a shame that BS doesn't share his view of cons just the pros. Would believe as a builder and given his cruising experience he would be very familiar with the cons. Think most of use know the cons of GRP and other constructions. Would be very educational if he would share his thoughts given the performance data appears to be not forthcoming.
chall03 likes this.
Old 09-17-2013
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road

Bob,

We're all delusional. Think the Matrix, this has only ever happened in our minds, and not in reality (whatever that is).

So there....

/Joms

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Talked to an owner of a Baba 40 ketch yesterday. He was at the Perry Rendezvous. He was telling me about another Baba 40 ketch owner who single handed his boat around Cape Horn this year.

It's a very good looking boat that gets the job done. Apparently it was tough enough to go around the Horn.
Old 09-17-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Yacths?

Old 09-17-2013
grumpy old man

Well, they are close.

Bob's Blog ....

Closed Thread