Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1722Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Yacths?
Thanks for the heads-up dude. Last time I use that Sri-Lankan pre school for QA. They are cheap though!

Fixed.

(Brent, I'll knock another $50 off for the typo. Fair's fair. So only a $1,150 value. But that'll still buy a lot of ice cream!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-17-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-17-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Andrew- get "this video does not exist". Is it in the same place ashard performance data on BS boats ?
Sorry, can't help you there. I'm getting the same message.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-17-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Strong opponents of steel??

Would you like to identify these ghastly beasts and which posts you refer to? Then we can discuss their specific qualifications to speak on this subject.

I personally just don't see it. People discussed the design considerations and also expressed personal preferences against steel for varying reasons, while conceding that it has advantages.

I only see 'strong opponents' to some of your more outrageous claims.

This is typical paranoid, patronising BS crap. We are capable of disagreeing with you all on our own without parroting anyone thanks. This disinformation you speak of, would you care to produce some data that proves it to be disinformation??

Anecdotal but interesting information. What is your point?? Is it that ALL Brent boats are faster than ALL 'plastic' boats? Give me a break. That some steel boats can go faster than some 'plastic' boats?? Well of course.

In general though the point stands that generally steel boats because of their weight are going to perform more poorly than a similar 'plastic' or 'aluminum' boat, particularly in a smaller yacht. This is actually based on scientific fact and figures. You can't counter physics and Newton's Law by saying I know a guy on a steel boat that once in The Pacific went faster than a plastic boat.
The point I am making is they are in the middle of the fleet, not as fast as some plastic boats and faster than others. There is no such thing as a light plastic boat which has been lived aboard full time for many years, and the heavier the design, the less off her empty lines loading her up will make her.
No two people will put the same weight of possessions aboard.
I tried responding to Smacks disinformation rant , but when I pressed submit, it was blocked. I will keep trying, later.
Maybe sneak it in when nobody is watching, going back and forth between submit and edit.
Old 09-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
Brent,

You made the following statement:

"a marina queen like most of Bobs rarely leaving the dock except for a two week summer vacation and the odd weekend cruise. Then back to work to pay for it all.
Those guys have all headed back to work from here leaving paradise free and empty for those of us who live more resourcefully .
I am a demonstration of how freely one can cruise, semi retired since my mid 20s, by following my own advice".................

Just suppose, all those guys owning marina queens, with occasional crusing vacation, and then back to work, chose for themselves the life style that they have, just as you have yours. I'm just guessing that most of them wouldn't give up their life style for one like yours. And, it could be that their chosen life style gives them lots of rewards that yours can't provide.

There is more than one way to live a successful, rewarding life. Most people select a route different than you have chosen. Yours may be fine for you, but it's not, nor should it be everyone's choice.
For such use, Bob's boats are ideally suited, which I have pointed out in the past. Mine are far better for full time cruising, and full time living aboard.
Old 09-17-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
For such use, Bob's boats are ideally suited, which I have pointed out in the past. Mine are far better for full time cruising, and full time living aboard.
Really and truly Brent .... this is the sort of nonsense that gets you into such trouble. Your boats may well make very good full time cruisers and/or full time live aboards. Many steelers do. Certainly our old steel VDS34 was a bloody good boat. Now some of Bob's may be totally unsuitable for such uses but to suggest that yours are simply better overall is just so much codswallop.

BP designs boats for many applications but I doubt even he would consider the Flying Tiger to be much of a liveaboard.
chall03 likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-17-2013
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The point I am making is they are in the middle of the fleet, not as fast as some plastic boats and faster than others. There is no such thing as a light plastic boat which has been lived aboard full time for many years, and the heavier the design, the less off her empty lines loading her up will make her.
No two people will put the same weight of possessions aboard.
Sure. Like you said, it depends though doesn't it??
On how you sail and how you load the boat.

Quote:
Brent some of Bob's boats were designed to be full time cruising boats like your boats, and many are doing just that.

That they are doing it, suggests that their owners believe them to be ideally suited to this, alot of owners actually. Alot of Bob happiness. Your owners find your boats ideally suited. That is also good.

I got stuck in the Port of Bundaberg for several weeks end of 2011, the beginning of cyclone season with boats coming in several a day from New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Fiji.

There sure were steel boats a plenty(if a recall lots of Adams, a couple of Roberts, and a Van de Stadt), also plenty of aluminum OVNI's packed with tanned fit and happy French/Italians who had crossed half the world in their boats. A guy was on his 3rd circumnavigation on a Swan 65. I did also see a Bob Perry designed Saga 43, that had boasted of racking 200nm days again and again coming across the Pacific. All of them seemed to love their boats, all of these boats actually interested me and appealed to me in different ways for different reasons.
copacabana likes this.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Last edited by chall03; 09-17-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-17-2013

Smack got completely laughed of the cruising.stuffiminto.com site with his distortions, and lying manipulations.
Old 09-17-2013
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Smack got completely laughed of the cruising.stuffiminto.com site with his distortions, and lying manipulations.
Cruising sutffiminto got completely laughed off the interwebs for being the most distorted, lying, manipulative sailing forum on the planet. It has 6 active members now doesn't it??

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 09-17-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Cruising sutffiminto got completely laughed off the interwebs for being the most distorted, lying, manipulative sailing forum on the planet. It has 6 active members now doesn't it??
That many ?

Old 09-17-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I actually like Stuff. I've posted there quite a bit. RTB hangs out there. He's a forum friend whom I've had the pleasure to meet (and who hangs out here too). Great dude.

Also, I just posted a link to the BS Marketing Programme over there too. Your words Brent. I don't have to distort or lie or manipulate anything. Your words.

They can laugh or cry. Doesn't matter to me.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-17-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Closed Thread