Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1682Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Smack said one doesn't need a wheelhouse, a dodger works just as well. Most dodgers I have seen protect the person in the cockpit on one point of sail, going to windward. On all other points of sail, the only way one can get protection from a dodger is to curl up in fetal position under them. Smack is comparing a dodger to a fully insulated wheel house with inside steering, 5 feet from a roaring wood stove; like comparing a lean to ( without the campfire) to a hotel suite . People in expensive boats, use their dodger, in full foul weather gear and heavy clothing. In the dead of winter, I cruise BC in snowstorms in a T shirt.
Or as Smack would say "Silly Brent , he prefers a hotel suite's comfort over a lean to ( without the campfire)"
A cruising boat without a wheelhouse is as logical as a pickup truck which can only be steered from an open box. What's that smack, if you huddle behind the cab, a truck doesn't need an inside steering position?
Ya sure!
If Smack had any experience, besides that which he made up , he would not be making such foolish, naïve comments.
Old 09-18-2013

Bobs comments , implying that anyone who disagrees with him and Smack ,is unhappy, and that if a man is truly happy, he would agree with everything he and Smack says, seriously undermines his credibility.
Where, in Smacks imaginary world, did you ever get that theory?
Old 09-18-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I don't imply that at all Brent. I am simply saying, here, I'll say it slowly for you, That you try way too hard to convince everyone of your "perfect life". My experience is that people with "perfect lives" do not go around proclaiming it daily. But you do and at the same time you attack my wife like a 4th grader and rant on here with desperate attempts to try and prove anyone who has a different approach to cruising is an idiot. It just doesn't fit with your "perfect life" facade. Way too much anger leaks through.

I'm a live and let live kind of person. If someone wants to do it differently then good for him. It may not be my way but if it works for him then fine. It sure as hell doesn't make me angry. I need to go watch the second race.
Maine Sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2013

The picture of the ship which killed the Sleavin family is interesting. Smack claims that if that bow were to hit a sealed tin can, it would punch a hole in the can, and sink it.
So try this Smack . Try to punch a hole in a tin can by whacking it with the side of a three inch steel pipe, while it is floating in water, with a singe blow. You cant do it. You can try it with the can on a workbench if you want to, but that wasn't the situation in the Sleavin case. You can whack it flat without making a hole in it. The same effort would definitely hole a fibreglass container.
So how would such a blunt bow as that of the freighter in the picture, manage to hole a 36 ft steel boat. The Gringo pictures and that of the sister ship to Joshua clearly show that there is just not enough inertia in a boat that small for that to happen. Sure it would make a hell of a big dent , it did in the boats I mentioned, but there is not enough inertia for such a blunt bow to hole a steel boat of the size the Sleavins were in.
That would take sharp point and there is no such sharp point in the picture you posted. It would be the equivalent of your trying to punch a hole in the can, floating in water, with your three inch steel pipe. Had the Sleavins been in a much larger boat with far more inertia, then it would probably sink it, but not in such a small steel boat. The Gringo proved that.
Old 09-18-2013

Bob
Letting lies go unchallenged, causes people all kinds of grief and needless expense. The only way to prevent it is to challenge all such lies, which I do, enjoy doing, and intend to keep on doing . No not allowing lies to go unchallenged, does not make me unhappy. Passively watching people hurt by them, when I could do something to save them the expense and frustration, would make me unhappy .
Rather than give up the long hours Smack spent trying to tie me up, countering his crap , I will spend the coming fall and winter taking them apart, one by one, at my leisure, when it's to rainy to do much else.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 09-18-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2013

I was going to send Smack one of my blocks, until someone on another site pointed out how he could easily manipulate the results, to say whatever he wanted them to say. Given I his track record of misrepresentation, manipulation, deception and lying, it would inevitably be the case.
I did a search under Garhaur. I saw a single block for $21. Was that the $25 block Smack wanted to test mine against? I asked him to post a picture of the block he has in mind , but he wouldn't . It is rated at safe working load of 1150 lbs, a fraction the strength of a loop of half inch line over it. The becket on my block, at 45,000 psi for aluminium, is over 16,000 lbs breaking strength. How would that compare to the 3/16th shackle on the block that Smack proposes as stronger, or the tiny amount of stainless around the threaded end of the shackle pin? I am willing to do the test myself in front of witnesses , and post the video of it this winter , without Smack's manipulations and deceptions .. No problem.
Old 09-18-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I was going to send Smack one of my blocks, until someone on another site pointed out how he could easily manipulate the results, to say whatever he wanted them to say. Given I his track record of misrepresentation, manipulation, deception and lying, it would inevitably be the case.
I did a search under Garhaur. I saw a single block for $21. Was that the $25 block Smack wanted to test mine against? I asked him to post a picture of the block he has in mind , but he wouldn't . It is rated at safe working load of 1150 lbs, a fraction the strength of a loop of half inch line over it. The becket on my block, at 45,000 psi for aluminium, is over 16,000 lbs breaking strength. How would that compare to the 3/16th shackle on the block that Smack proposes as stronger, or the tiny amount of stainless around the threaded end of the shackle pin? I am willing to do the test myself in front of witnesses , and post the video of it this winter , without Smack's manipulations and deceptions .. No problem.
Nah, Sully over at Stuff has already agreed to officiate.

http://cruising.stuffiminto.com/boat...html#post44187

So make your block that will be "just as good" as the Garhauer (not just stronger - a crane block is stronger than your block after all, and still useless on a boat as you said)

Quote:
...stronger ,uglier , and useless...
Provide Sully a video that proves you made it in 20 minutes and for $2 (actually, let's up that to $4 since it's stainless and I'm a very fair guy) along with your block. He'll weight it, look at the difference it construction quality, look at the difference in functionality - then go all NASA on both of them with a truck and a tree.

Here was the original challenge and specs:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here's the deal: I'll personally pay you $11 (plus shipping) for one of your home-made jobbies IF it's anywhere near the same look, strength, and specs as the following Garhauer model (just post the pic when you've got it ready):

Quote:
Single Blocks with Adjustable Shackle
25-13 US - Stainless Steel Blocks
length: 4-1/4 width: 2
weight: 5 oz shackle: 3/16
sheave diameter: 1-3/4

Comes with set screw to make it fixed shackle. Safe working load is 1150 lbs.

$21.42

Note the nice smooth bearings. Don't forget those in your version.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-18-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Smack quoted a line beginning "He assumed he had pants to crap in," etc. without giving the context . I suppose he could take a quote out of the joke section and imply the writer was being literal, by leaving the context out.
Actually that was taken from a discussion about religion, having nothing to do with boats. When a holy roller tried to imply the infallibility of the bible I mentioned the story of Adam and Eve.

According to the Bible , Adam praised the garden of Eden, praised the beauty of all the plants and fruit in it, including the forbidden fruit, and named al the animals.
Only then did he eat the forbidden fruit, and only then could he see that he was naked. So while he was praising the beauty of the garden of Eden, praising the beauty of all the fruit in it and naming all the animals , he was blind as a bat.
Being naked up to the time he ate the forbidden fruit, he assumed he had pants on , because if he had tried to take his pants off to take dump, he would have realized he was naked.
So this guy , blind as a bat, dumb as a stump, filthy enough to be willing to take a dump in his pants ,and lies like a mountie in a courtroom, is made in the image of a god we are all supposed to swoon over, worship and emulate?
Apologies for seemingly going off topic, but there was no other way to reveal what Smack was doing. This is typical of many of his manipulations thruout his posts. This is the message smack took a line out of context from , without giving the context?
If that kind of practice is fair game here, then I'm sure I can come up with similar tricks with such quotes from smacks posts, and Bobs, given that he endorsed such manipulation and deception. Boy, wait till you see some of the quotes I can manipulate from what Smack and Bob have posted!
If I leave out "Brent said " part, could I quote Bob as saying "My wife is a *****etc. etc . or quote Smack saying similar things?
You get the idea.
I never once insulted Bob's wife , just asked if anyone had seen her. I could easily arrange for Bob or Smack to do so, using Smacks strategy.
Or does using this type of misrepresentation mean Smack is overdue for a" long time out".
Ah Brent - you just keep stepping in it. Here's your quote from the "Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat" thread - a thread that had everything to do with boats (notice the red parts):

Quote:
Aesthetically pleasing is different for those who buy whatever consumerism is trying to sell them , from those who do their own thinking. Have you ever seen any of my boats, or are you like the biblical "Adam", who named all the animals and praised the beauty of the Garden of Eden, while he was blind?
Quote:
After praising the garden of Eden for it's beauty, including the beauty of the forbidden fruit, and naming all the animals , while blind , he only gained his eyesight after eating the forbidden fruit, and only then did he realize he was naked.(After having taken many a leak and dump, assuming he had pants on , never bothering to take them down, for if he had, he would have noticed that he had no pants on) As soon as he gained his eysight he was kicked out, no time left to praise or name anything.

Now there's a credibility problem! Funny nobody noticed!
Now where am I taking things out of context again? Where am I using "misrepresentation"? Keep trying.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-19-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-18-2013
Last Man Standing

See - here's where the beauty of quoting comes in - and why I put the time into doing it. Just grab my quotes that have me saying the following - exactly as you've said it:

Quote:
Smack said one doesn't need a wheelhouse, a dodger works just as well.
Quote:
The picture of the ship which killed the Sleavin family is interesting. Smack claims that if that bow were to hit a sealed tin can, it would punch a hole in the can, and sink it.
I'll wait.

If you can't find those quotes, just as you've said I said them, then you might have a credibility problem, Brent.

Every quote I pulled of yours consists of your words...verbatim:

THE BS YACHTS MARKETING PROGRAM

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-18-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-18-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Way to weasel on the block Brent.
I knew there was no way you would make good on this. I knew.
There you had it in front of you, compliments of Smack, and you weaseled.

Now, in typical Brent style you blame someone else for why you will not build the block.
Choice!
"I was going to send Smack one of my blocks, until someone on another site pointed out how he could easily manipulate the results, "

Can't you think for yourself? Weaseled.

I'm not name calling. I'm using "weasel" as a verb.

Oh yeah, Adam was blind. I forgot all about that bit of nonsense from someone who likes to rant against religion. Might want to read up a bit on it before commenting Brent.

Brent I will patiently sit here waiting for you to take apart Smack's lies one by one. I have some time here at the beach so I can wait. But I fear I am going to have a long wait. I'll see that mythical block before I see you putting away Smack's "lies". His lies are your words. That's going to be hard for you. "Perfect life"? Give me a break. You are hard on the defensive 24/7. That can't be perfect.

Got to feed the dogs and get off to the dojo.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site