LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Don't use dish soap to wash a car - it is designed to strip wax, grease, oils etc. from dishes and it does the same to a car - all your last wax job disappears.

Pay the $2 and get car washing liquid - it won't strip the last wax job.
I am removing lime, calcium, and sometimes little dots of crude oil, I probably better stick with the dawn or joy, and I usually do not wax my truck more than once a month... dog gone it, now I have to go back and add the cost of the wax into the list..meh, I will give that away.

The car washing liquid does not seem to do well with any crude or other miscellaneous petroleum products that the dish soap takes off. Also I use a very small amount of the soap, and a soft brush. The water here has so much crap in it that you have to dry it with a chamois cloth or it will have spots on it that will need to be buffed out, the minerals in our water are harsh.

I used the car washing soap for a while, on my BMW, but it seemed to blend with the water and make some kind of super strength water spots, little dots all over the car that would appear to have come off with the chamois but once the sun hit that dark forest green paint you could see them from the space station. The dish soap seemed to do better, and when I sold it not too long ago the paint still looked great.
Old 07-08-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

just posting so I will get this thread on my e-mail good thread ! fair winds, Lou
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

One washes and waxes a truck?!?!?!?! really?!?!?!?! wow!!!!

not sure my cornbinder has had either in its 20 yrs, nor has my 05 chebby! I let the NW rain, not that it really rains much here keep it clean! or those funky twuck wash thingies at the local quarry after loading etc. Then I get both sides, and under wash! why wash myself when I can pay some $200 for a load of rock and get a free twuck warsh!

marty

dang it, now I am sounding like the brent character being a cheep arss!
Old 07-08-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

I built my own car out of recycled cans and old golf carts.Im no fool.I dont trust anyone to design something as simple as a car for me,Imagine, getting paid to draw pictures of cars and than expecting companies to use them,absurd.Those clowns at Asiana would have been much better off if theys built there own planes.Mitches second cousin told me that a guy he knew flew one of my plane kits from New York to Tokyo in 4 hours.The disinformation agents were all over that!.
JomsViking likes this.
Old 07-08-2013
sailing soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
One washes and waxes a truck?!?!?!?! really?!?!?!?! wow!!!!

not sure my cornbinder has had either in its 20 yrs, nor has my 05 chebby! I let the NW rain, not that it really rains much here keep it clean! or those funky twuck wash thingies at the local quarry after loading etc. Then I get both sides, and under wash! why wash myself when I can pay some $200 for a load of rock and get a free twuck warsh!

marty

dang it, now I am sounding like the brent character being a cheep arss!
See if you had a Peterbilt instead of a cornbinder you would have to wash it, but when you are slumming around in farm equipment you do not have to wash it. I even washed my W900 once a week and it was not even a red Pete.
Old 07-08-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Hey, here's another one! It's the thing behind the Harley.

Kim's Boat - TheBoat's Photos

This one is only 26', so by BS Math it should be finished out and ready to sail in a weekend - complete with a nice, cozy interior....

Ohh. Well maybe they need a long weekend since they obviously don't have the BS Kung Fu Time Magic.

Wait...two years and they're still not even half-way done? And now they're moving onto motorcycles? Ouch.

They could have been cruising.

I'm starting wonder what the start/finish ratio for these things is? And does this one go in the "built" column for the BS Boats?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-08-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-08-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
See if you had a Peterbilt instead of a cornbinder you would have to wash it, but when you are slumming around in farm equipment you do not have to wash it. I even washed my W900 once a week and it was not even a red Pete.
Actually Pete did not at the time have a truck quite as small as mine is. I think they do now. I coudl get a GM, frod, freightshaker, and the misc Aisian LCF style trucks in the 20-26K gvwr range at the time. I believe Paccar has a 26K rig now or has for a few years any how. GM is out of the class 4 and larger trucks..........

Marty
Old 07-09-2013
sailing soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Actually Pete did not at the time have a truck quite as small as mine is. I think they do now. I coudl get a GM, frod, freightshaker, and the misc Aisian LCF style trucks in the 20-26K gvwr range at the time. I believe Paccar has a 26K rig now or has for a few years any how. GM is out of the class 4 and larger trucks..........

Marty
Peterbilt has had the smaller trucks for a long time, but the problem was they were almost as big as the class 8 road trucks. Most of them were for construction applications, flatbeds, wreckers, and farm type trucks. We had one of the 330's that had a water spray tank on it that was a 1990, and it was heavy duty and big. Of course it was nice, and it was still sporting that red oval on it.

The wrecker service we used to run has one of the 2013 Peterbilt 330's now with a heavy duty rollback on it, and it is way better than the M2 Freightliner. The M2 has a tiny little Cummins in it that would be just about right in someones 60' boat...because it sure sucks in the truck.
Old 07-09-2013

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Hey, here's another one! It's the thing behind the Harley.

Wait...two years and they're still not even half-way done? And now they're moving onto motorcycles? Ouch.
You misunderstood. The Sportster is the anchor - maybe it can be included in an anchor thread. At least it's not made of substandard Chinese steel... or is it?

I was avoiding this thread because it's just Smack doing his wind up routine again (successfully it seems ) ... but I got sucked in... again! Damn!!
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 07-09-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
You misunderstood. The Sportster is the anchor - maybe it can be included in an anchor thread. At least it's not made of substandard Chinese steel... or is it?

I was avoiding this thread because it's just Smack doing his wind up routine again (successfully it seems ) ... but I got sucked in... again! Damn!!
Sucker! Heh-heh.

Look, I'm not just winding things up here. Brent has made a hell of a lot of claims and taken a hell of a lot of shots at people across many forums. Most of these claims have been about his boats - many of them have been about stuff people have supposedly said. And the majority of them just don't add up.

So, according to your own signature line from that fine philosopher, I'm checking sources, doing some research on Brent's claims. If they stand up to scrutiny, I am indeed just winding things up. If not, I'm learning something for myself just like any Cruiser Wannabe should do. Thus far, those claims are not doing so well.

For example, with Brent's quotes above (and elsewhere) - would a typical Cruiser Wannabe surmise that it's pretty cheap to buy the plans/DVD for a BS Boat, pretty quick and easy to get the boat put together, and pretty cheap to complete her and sail her for the rest of your life with extremely low maintenance time and costs if you're just resourceful?

I think yes.

But then you start looking through what's actually out there (my examples above), and what it takes to get it done - and the reality is very different from this picture.

For example, take the vaunted Silas Crosby: the boat | s/v silas crosby

Brent's quote above talks about pulling the exterior of a boat together in 6 days. But what comes after that 6 days of roughing things out? Well, according to the Silas Crosby guy, this:

Quote:
The Boat is a 36′ steel sailboat named Silas Crosby. We built her over 2 yrs and 3 months and launched in 1994, or thereabouts. We had lots of help. Brent Swain is the designer and he worked for 500 hrs initially , with me helping, to get the hull and deck together.

Dimensions: 36′ LOA , 30′ LWL, 10’6″ beam , 4′ draft, 17,000 lbs designed displ. , prob more like 22,000 lbs now. Ballast 5,000 lbs poured lead with another 1000 or 2000 lbs in the steel keel structures.
And this isn't even a cost breakdown.

Does that Cruiser Wannabe lining up for plans know what he's really getting into? The tools. The multi-discipline know-how. The multi-year time commitment. The substantial financial investment. ALL before ever getting to sail a single mile?

So, no. I'm not just winding things up here. I'm trying to figure out what Brent is talking about. Because it's not these boats.
JomsViking and Maren like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-09-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.