Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1543Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Bob,

I wil not get into the how big, too big or small etc. I would assume you have that figured out for toughness etc. I think my boat is in the 1-2" range! So would assume that a 60' boat would be bigger by some portion etc.

Marty
Old 09-21-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Gonna hijack the thread given we're talking about dodgers and wheel houses. Love the looks of the PSC ketch Bob did. But wonder at what size do you think a wheel house,hard dodger or center cockpit be done with out it looking like a wedding cake motorboat. Took a real long look at the H.R.s before choosing the outbound. Thought until you got to size beyond my price range boat didn't flow. Its a great boat though. Similarly had opportunity to get a Shannon Aegean 50 but it needed too much work. Thought that was size where you could pull off hardtop dodger and center cockpit.

Last edited by outbound; 09-21-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Out:
Not sure size matters here so long as the designer has a good eye.
This little cartoon (I've posted before) has been turned into a real 28'er and in my opinion has turned out surpsingly good looking. Construction is now underway. I'll post some jpegs of it when I get some.
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and cons of steel sailboats-ed-2003.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-21-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Out:
Not sure size matters here so long as the designer has a good eye.
This little cartoon (I've posted before) has been turned into a real 28'er and in my opinion has turned out surpsingly good looking. Construction is now underway. I'll post some jpegs of it when I get some.
Can I say 'cute'?? Did you retain the dodger shape/roofline on the real thing? To my eye that looks like a wee homage to Bill Garden.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-21-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Faster:
Sure you can. My cartoons are designed to be cute.
my email adress is rhp-bob@threshinc.com

If someone wants to see some pdf's of the 28' "cartoon" just email me and I'd be happy to send them I'm just not very good at going from acad to pdf to jpeg. I can do it but I have trouble controlling thre size of the jpeg image. I'm very proud of my work and I hate to present it in a less than perfect manner. I'm odd that weay.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 09-21-2013

kimbottles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Faster:
Sure you can. My cartoons are designed to be cute.
my email adress is rhp-bob@threshinc.com

If someone wants to see some pdf's of the 28' "cartoon" just email me and I'd be happy to send them I'm just not very good at going from acad to pdf to jpeg. I can do it but I have trouble controlling thre size of the jpeg image. I'm very proud of my work and I hate to present it in a less than perfect manner. I'm odd that weay.
This is way worth doing, Bob sent them to me and I often look at that file because they are CUTE!
Old 09-21-2013
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road

This thread has been an ..... interesting ..... read, but not for the reasons I had hoped for. (Smack, that was quite possibly the longest and most entertaining "marketing" post I've ever seen!) I was hoping to learn something about steel boats and their qualities but that dream died many pages ago. I DO NOT believe for one second that steel is infallible. Brent's claims about shrugging off reefs and rocks with only scratched paint are ridiculous. I was on board the USS Carl Vinson back in '90 going through a seriously major storm when the ship slammed into a wave. After the damage control crews cleaned up the mess, we all got to see the damage caused to the foc'sle. The main beam in the stem was buckled and plate metal bulkheads much thicker than the skin of a Brentboat were dented from the where the caps to the hawse pipes blew into the space and ricocheted around, all from slamming into a wave. So Brent, I don't believe your claims one bit.

I think steel has it's place as a material of choice but I don't believe it is the ONLY choice. I've seen much advice given and several books mention that steel hulls are a good choice for high latitude sailing but what about the more temperate areas? I'm not ready to discard a steel boat just yet but from everything I've heard, read, and experienced, it seems to require much more attention to corrosion than other materials. I've also read that condensation can be a problem unless it is insulated. Are they typically insulated only from the waterline up or are they also insulated below the waterline? It seems to me that sprayed insulation would make inspection and repairs problematic, especially while underway.
chall03 likes this.
Old 09-21-2013

harmonic is on a distinguished road

I have been watching this thread with interest it seems people think any steely under 40 feet wont sail.When I was a kid my parents bought a 37 foot steel yacht round bilge fin keeler we sailed 10 000 miles in it and it sailed really well reaching at 8 knots on a good day.A lovely yacht only problem was the wooden decks wet beds on passage every time.last year my father bought a 32 foot steel kuiper a dutch yacht with a big rig and bowsprit,I have an old quarter tonne racing yacht and if I dont keep my hull clean and boat light I cant catch him.I think possibly some are really overbuilt and that gives the rest of them a bad name.They arent all slow by a long shot.
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 09-21-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

This thread did go off track for a while when things got personal, of course it's true that steel is just one of the choices for boat building, with it's advantages and disadvantages like any other.

Not wanting to perpetuate the Brent bash, his boats are what they are and they suit some.. as a counterpoint, even in Brent's backyard, look at Amazon and Waterline Yachts to see how good a steel boat can look.

World Cruiser Waterline 50 >> Designers and builder's of fine metal boats >> Waterline Yachts

1985 Amazon 37 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Europe, and Holland in particular, has a good rep/history for steel building, but as previously mentioned it's becoming a lost art in face of modern technology, materials, and methods.
harmonic likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-21-2013
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road

Those are both nice looking vessels. It does seem that the majority of boats that I see on sites like yachtworld are built of fiberglass.