Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1642Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Sorry for the poor expression. Think in forming the hull the way origami is done complex curves are produced. Think with other construction techniques reproducing the simple or complex curvatures would be more easily done. Would think one could mold off the mirror image from the opposite undamaged side but is still left with the problem of shaping. Wondering how repairs to plate are done to origami or other frameless construction. Steel stretches when dented. For a segment big enough to want to fix or an area where plate thickness has been thinned due to rust you seem to have problem. How is this dealt with ?
Old 09-27-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

"Sorry for the poor expression."

You are forgiven. I know how this is done in a timber boat but I rely on Brent to advise us on how he would do it in one of his boats. You can't exactly plane down the edges in a steel boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2013
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
One of my all time favourites about Alaska was an interview with a barmaid. She was asked about the reputed 12-1 ratio of men to women there and replied "Yes, the odds are good but the goods are odd".
That is a commonly used phrase up here believe it or not. During the first few months up here my wife and I were at a bar near our house and we were all laughing that she was the ONLY one in the bar without a full on long white beard. And believe me, the goods in that bar were very odd (including myself so no fingers pointed).
SloopJonB and Brent Swain like this.
Old 09-27-2013
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
. What I don't understand is how this can be done in frameless construction such as origami given plate is formed to shape in basically the same way as "tortured" wood construction.

P.S.- a dog, a baby and a motorcycle helmet. What's not to love. Only thing missing is they should all be in the cockpit of a sail boat.
I have done some "tortured" wood kayak building, or at least I have heard that phrase applied to getting multiple complex bends and shapes out of a single piece of ply. You can see how the deck gets twisted in multiple ways. Is this how Origami steel building works? I always assumed it was more "folds" without those complex convex curves. A bunch of flat surfaces.

My girl in that pic is ready for some AC72 racing in that helmet! Really though we were about to go out for a mountain ride on the snow machine with dogs a chasing. Fun times for sure. Now she is 5 and is already my jib trimmer.
Brent Swain likes this.
Old 09-27-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

The term that I know is 'tortured plywood'. As we know, plywood (and plate steel a use in origami construction) is really only able to produce 'conic sections'. While steel can be formed into compound curves, plywood normally cannot be twisted into compound curves.

Tortured plywood uses thin layers of plywood, and some framing to force the plywood into mildly compound curves. It was pioneered by the folks doing plywood multihulls, but you see it in other narrow hull forms such as kayaks and in boats with minimal rocker such as high performance skiffs.

Jeff
Brent Swain likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 09-27-2013
grumpy old man

Nice kayak MC. Too bad you don't have a nice place to paddle it.
Bears and bugs.
I'd like to fish that lake.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 09-27-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Sorry for the poor expression. Think in forming the hull the way origami is done complex curves are produced. Think with other construction techniques reproducing the simple or complex curvatures would be more easily done. Would think one could mold off the mirror image from the opposite undamaged side but is still left with the problem of shaping. Wondering how repairs to plate are done to origami or other frameless construction. Steel stretches when dented. For a segment big enough to want to fix or an area where plate thickness has been thinned due to rust you seem to have problem. How is this dealt with ?
Lots of longitudinals across the affected area and well beyond, will keep it fair while doing repairs. You can even use temporary longiitudinals on the outside , removing them after final welding is done.
Old 09-27-2013
grumpy old man

"Fair" can be very subjective.

This shot of the stern of my FRANCIS LEE is what I consider fair.
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and cons of steel sailboats-giant-stern-shot.jpg   Pros and cons of steel sailboats-pain-9-25-4.jpg  

Bob's Blog ....

Old 09-27-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Brent please exbound. Give us a step by step. Don't understand.

Bob that's truly fair.
Old 09-27-2013
grumpy old man

Out:
I have a well tuned eye and "fair" to me as an "absolute", objective description. Not subjective. I always try to be fair.

I understood what Brent said and it made perfect sense. I won't try to explain it. That's Brent's job. But I can see how it would work.

Bob's Blog ....