Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1540Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

The smallest origami boat I have done was my 7 ft6 inch aluminium dingy.
Many small aluminium workboats have been done for decades using origami methods.
Bruce Cope ( of Cope aluminium boats in Parksville) said Hyline Aluminium in Steveston BC , built hundreds in the 70s.
Old 10-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post
Brent:

The Boeing Surplus Store is now online:

https://surplus.boeing.com/Index.cfm

I've not been looking much lately, and haven't noticed any titanium (The 787 has more Ti than any other previous model.. works better with composites)..

It might be a place where you can see expired rolls of carbon fiber pre-preg, which is probably still good, but you'd need to heat it up to cure it.
Thanks
Old 10-01-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Brent: I didn't know that but I'm not surprised. It was there for a long time. I sedf to buy my drawing boards there, $6.00 a piece. They were great boards. I even found spline weights there marked with "747" on them. We got the rudder stove for HEATHER, the two tonner there.

Ok, give?
I'll answer the question for you Brent.
Your story is a silly myth.
Navtec backstay adjusters were the first ones available to the racing fleet other than rare custom made units. These hydraulic backstay adjusters were introduced in the very early '70's, maybe '72. I'd have to check. Doesn't matter because the universal rating rule after 1968 was the IOR. The IOR DOES NOT measure DWL. All the hull measurements for the IOR are taken with the boat OUT OF THE WATER. DWL is not one of these measurements. PHRF does not take ANY in the water measurments.

Cute story but not true.

What I was interested in is how small a steel boat do you think is practical using your method?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bobperry; 10-01-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
What does this have to do with pros and cons of steel sailboats?
Absolutely nothing. It's called thread drift. If you've been reading everything posted to this thread you may have noticed there has been a fair bit of it.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-01-2013
grumpy old man

That's kind of a shame that Boeing Surply went online. Most of the fun of shopping there was just rambling about the place looking for odd items. That's how I found my 747 spline weights. They were in a bucket full of odds and ends. I remember seeing a huge pile of tangled drafting machines.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-01-2013

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Sully runs a great site, where innovation is encouraged . He's a good moderator. He was not the first one to point out that Smack and Bob were only there to follow, misrepresent and attack my posts.
Yeah Sully's site was where YOU ran to after being banned here for insulting Bob's wife. Then over there you said Bob was lying and you never said anything about his wife. It must be very complicated trying to keep all your stories straight between all the sites you visit.
smackdaddy likes this.

Never Forgotten

Old 10-01-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

A reliable source says that there are still drafting tables in use at Boeing, but not to many... Along with some spline weights..

The same reliable source once got an old table allocated to him, and it has some late-1960s early 1970s space shuttle drawings.

Pretty cool.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 10-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Out:
I think some of the French builders have tried way of making alu into a production material. They have done some very nice boats but there doesn't seem to be much of a market for them. I think today's sailor is wary of metal boats. GRP is pretty stable in a salt water environment.

I leave it to Brent to tell us what the lower limit LOA is for steel. I would guess that it would depend on the desgn and using Brent's method you could build a nice 11,000 lb.
30'er in steel, maybe less, if that was your material of choice. Brent's method opens the door to lighter steel building. I look forward to Brent's opinion on this.
The first and smallest origami boat I have built and designed was a 26 footer. She sailed well, and the owner was very happy with her. One sailed from BC to Australia, where she was sold to her latest owners, who are very happy Aussies, whom I met in Comox once. They sent a picture of her to Pacific yachting, which they published. She cruises around Brisbane, last report ,with the name "Misty Blue". Winston sailed a 27 ft version of this boat thru the NW passage, documented in his crew's books "Arctic Odyssey " By Len Sherman and "The NW Passage on Ten Dollars a Day" , by George Hone, who recently retired from West Marine in Nanaimo. The story is also in back issues of Pacific Yachting. Winston's daughter also has one, in which she has just left for Mexico. She also worked at West Marine in Nanaimo.
I think 26 feet is around the minimum for steel, but smaller origami boats in aluminium are definitely practical.
Old 10-01-2013
grumpy old man

Denda:
I think you mean the old red barn at the museum.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
Yeah Sully's site was where YOU ran to after being banned here for insulting Bob's wife. Then over there you said Bob was lying and you never said anything about his wife. It must be very complicated trying to keep all your stories straight between all the sites you visit.
I was on Sully's site ( by invitation from Sully) long before becoming very active here. Check the dates of my posts.
I said absolutely nothing directly insulting about Bobs wife