Not a Member? 

Like Tree1723Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2013
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

I am curious if the design would also work stitch and glue if it works for origami construction. While a aluminum skiff would be great up here, I am more of a woodworker than welder and I have no ability to weld aluminum.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Pulling a compound curve into alum plate should be easier than trying to get the same shape in stitch and glue which lends itself to multi chines I've seen some amazing shapes in tortured ply kayaks so it's all about the design. Know any good designers around?
Old 10-02-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Pulling a compound curve into alum plate should be easier than trying to get the same shape in stitch and glue which lends itself to multi chines I've seen some amazing shapes in tortured ply kayaks so it's all about the design. Know any good designers around?
No good ones, we seem to have an excellent one, and one I am not sure about around tho! so which would you like, unknown, excellent or good?

Marty
Old 10-03-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=bobperry;1097752]Jeff, Man I wish I had your typing skills and patience. [QUOTE]

Bob,

I actually don't type all that fast. I never would have gotten that done if I hadn't been stuck in Airports for several hours. This weekend I flew out to Michigan for a ground breaking on a Cadillac-LaSalle Museum that I designed. The flights were delayed on the way out so I had time in the airport to start that. I finished it while waiting for the return flight.

The Cadillac LaSalle Museum has been a fun project. We won the commission in a design competition and then ended up being asked to replicate a 1949 building that was designed by a commercial artist at GM and which was never actually constructed as it was originally sketched, and probably could not have been constructed using 1949 technology. It has been a real structural challenge.

Anyway, my initial reaction is that 1/8" plating seems a little thick if you are trying to stay under a 100 lbs., but a calculation will tell you that for sure. My recollection of production aluminum boats is that the skins are less than 1/16", but then again, I assume that is also why they are riveted and not welded.

Thinking about stitch and glue construction (Alaska MC's question), I would think that a plywood hull planking would need to be thicker than the aluminum in order to have adequate bending strength. If that is the case, the plywood would be substantially stiffer than the aluminum and so less likely to conform to as tight a radius as the aluminum.

That said, if Bob's design did not include a tight radius, then the design should be readily adaptable to stitch and glue, in which case if I personally were choosing between aluminum and stitch and glue, I would pick stitch and glue, and then vacuum bag a kevlar sheathing on the bottom to address impact and abrasion. I suspect it would be lighter and would also be cheaper than trying to pay a welder who is skilled enough to weld thin aluminum plate.

Jeff
AlaskaMC likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 10-03-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: syntax and clarity
Old 10-03-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Nice, retro looking building Jeff. Well done.
djodenda likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 10-03-2013
grumpy old man

This is starting to come together.
I'm thinking of .08" alu plate for the skin. Weight of hull 78 lbs.

Could be plywood. Could be nesting. Mine will be alu and will not nest.
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and cons of steel sailboats-perry-peener-peapod.jpg  

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-03-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Nice, retro looking building Jeff. Well done.
Thank you for the kind words...

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 10-03-2013
grumpy old man

Perry Peener Peapod:
Will have to go .09 plate to get the 5052 ally. 5086 would be better but it's more dough and I don't think necessary for a boat that will live in my yard most of the time.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-03-2013
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

That isnt really a big difference in weight from what a wood version would be in 6-9 mm Okoume. How much weight do you think would be added with the full outfit in aluminum?

Looking great. Just what I need, another boat to build and another boat!

(On the note of too many boats, I was at WM the other day and they wanted me to sign up for their frequent flyer (or whatever they call it) club. They asked how many boats I had, and while counting to myself the girl heard me hit 10 and she interrupted and said, that there was only and option for 5 or more. )
Old 10-03-2013

Bob142 is on a distinguished road

I would like to thank Smack for reposting all of Brent's post...I always look for the positives and liked the idea of his blocks with aluminum and cutting boards...So I made one out of stainless that cost $1.80 a pound ... Since I wanted 3/4 pulleys I could only find 1/2 inch cutting boards so I will have to wait till I can get commercial hi-density...Will post pictures when complete...
Brent Swain likes this.

Any storm in a port...
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.