Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1723Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Back when I built kayaks I was a tad more nimble and could stand in my 16 footer My dingy on davits for years has been a 9ft Minto Let me tell you it got tippery aand tippary. Now I have a 10 ft davidson and I'm becoming concerned with its stability. Dog paddling while looking at my really pretty tender drifting away leaves me cold.As an old fart,I like the concept of big beam wrapped around a pramish bow. Just sayin.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Back when I built kayaks I was a tad more nimble and could stand in my 16 footer My dingy on davits for years has been a 9ft Minto Let me tell you it got tippery aand tippary. Now I have a 10 ft davidson and I'm becoming concerned with its stability. Dog paddling while looking at my really pretty tender drifting away leaves me cold.As an old fart,I like the concept of big beam wrapped around a pramish bow. Just sayin.
I relate to that
Old 10-05-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Whether tippy dinghy or kayak , tying a tight midship line to the dock or boat, lets you put all the weight you want to on that side with no chance of capsizing ,making it much easier and safer to get in and out. If the dock has the same freeboard as your dingy or kayak, that makes it impossible to tip either way.
Old 10-05-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
I am aware of that and currently own two al boats but I can't help but feel steel may be better in most ways and definitely is for larger boats. I also see a few ancient old woody's still out there working. I've hit stuff with wood fiberglass and aluminum and found the al less likely to be holed but much harder and expensive to repair. Glass and wood will flex nicely takeing up much of the impact while aluminum just crushes.
The bottom line is the boat design and quality of manufacture that is most important. If that wasn't so vessels like the wetsnail 32 would not have achieved such a world wide reputation for getting there crew home while other similar vessel have the opposite reputaqtion
Steel is even harder to hole and much easier to repair, especially a long way from civilization. I can do it with a 100 amp alternator run off my engine.

This reminds me of a cartoon a fisherman told me about , a picture of a guy in a dinghy in a Honolulu shirt asking a native on the beach in a grass skirt, with a spear in his hand, and a bone thru his nose:
"Any body here weldum aluminum?"
Old 10-05-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Okay - then answer them. You're just doing the same old thing.
Exactly , answering questions accurately ,with experience based answers, something you seem to have a problem with, having no such experience of your own. Perhaps it is the accuracy of my answers which bothers you.
For that, I'm flattered!
Old 10-05-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert rat View Post
Brent
How about 8 gauge and minimal internal bracing?
Way to heavy for a dinghy. As with most 16 gauge aluminium runabouts , most internal bracing is unnecessary. The seats and floatation compartments should be all the bracing you need.
Old 10-05-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Brent:

Can you weld 16 ga.? Most of those light gauge boats seem to be riveted.
A skilled guy with a tig can. Too thin for mig. Rivets would be a good way to put seats and floatation compartments in.
Old 10-05-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I'd like to stay away from rivets if I can. They don't look good to me and I can't see them fitting the look I am after in my peen pod. I am not pretending this is a boat for anyone but me, although we have four "orders" so far including my own. No price yet so you know how firm those orders are.

I really wanted a PT 11 Russell Brown boat. But they are works of art, like fine furniture. And a wee bit short on LOA for my tall frame. My boat will be such that I can chuck a couple crab pots in it without worrying about scuffing it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 10-05-2013
Banned

Take a thin piece of metal and twist it. The edges want to be longer than the middle. The middle buckles. When the weld shrinks the edges, it makes things worse. Topside plates , having a longitudinal curve in them, and minimum twist ,benefit from this shrinkage , resulting in a slight compound curve. On my 36 footers ,after final welding you can see about 1 1/4 inch of curve between the sheer and the chine from this effect.
With twisted plates, common on the bow of many hard chine designs ( like Colvins), the distortion of these plates can be difficult to deal with in heavier plate . Far more so in thinner plate. No, a wooden mold wont stop it. Best to minimize the twist in the design stage. Bringing the centreline up closer to the seam is one way to do it.
For seats and floatation, my current dingy uses longitudinal floatation chambers. This not only stiffens things up a lot , but lets me put removable seats anywhere I want them, balancing any other cargo or passengers I may have aboard. It is the best arrangement I have seen in over 40 years of cruising. For aluminium, it takes a bit more fitting , but adds a lot of stiffness, and can be done in 16 gauge, riveted to the top sides, and mostly left open on the bottom, with foam under .
On my aluminium dinghy, I had a midships seat, 16 gauge , 2-90 degree bends a foot apart on top, and 2-90s with 1 inch flanges on the bottom with foam inside, resting on a couple of tabs on the top sides. There is a photo of it on the origamiboats site.
It was nowhere as handy as the longitudinal floatation chambers, with the removable seats.

A man without a project is a man without a life.

This post is aimed at others seeking such info, not at people like Bob, who criticise me for not responding, then criticize me for doing so, when I do .

Last edited by Brent Swain; 10-05-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-05-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I'd like to stay away from rivets if I can. They don't look good to me and I can't see them fitting the look I am after in my peen pod. I am not pretending this is a boat for anyone but me, although we have four "orders" so far including my own. No price yet so you know how firm those orders are.

I really wanted a PT 11 Russell Brown boat. But they are works of art, like fine furniture. And a wee bit short on LOA for my tall frame. My boat will be such that I can chuck a couple crab pots in it without worrying about scuffing it up.
You will be amazed at how little maintenance it will have. Nothing to do to it but use it.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.