Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1615Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I think that Brent is raising a very valid point in his comments about distortion of the plates. From my own experiences with welding I am very aware that distortion can be a serious problem especially for the inexperienced welder. From my limited experience I found steel reasonably forgiving. Other metals not so much....In my case about the time that I thought I was a pretty good welder I decided to weld a small SS fitting. A friend let me use his shop during lunch. After carefully shaping the parts, I spent an hour welding them together ending up with a useless pretzel. I made the parts again and went back to my friend who 10-15 min later had made a flawless weldment that just needed to be polished out.

In this case, the good news is that Bob is using a welder who understands aluminum. But it highlights the issue of amateur construction. An amateur with an aptitude for welding might be able to weld up a steel boat with reasonably thick plating, but I seriously think it is far less likely that an amateur can weld up an aluminum boat without a lot more practice and experience than would be easy to acquire as a dilettante.

Jeff
All true, Jeff. But Bob may have pictures somewhere of an aluminum version of the Norseman 447 that was impeccably homebuilt by someone that, AFAIK did not start out as a professional. At a distance one could not tell it wasn't a standard Norseman.. even down to the recessed ports (think how much extra work that must have been...)

Granted on that project you'd be working with heavier material than this beach boat...

Bob, this is a fun project.. and it sounds like you may already have a mini production run!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Exactly Jeff.
I have no concerns about the build Betts has built a lot of alu boats. He voiced his concerns so I know he is aware of the difficulties involved and I think he will devise a way to deal with them. I can't see me standing there asking him to "Let me try". I have never welded anything and I choose not to start now. Maybe I'll take my guitar and sit and playt while Jim welds. I can sing wqelding songs. That's it.

"I've been working on the railroad,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2013
grumpy old man

Faster:
That was an unsual case. The builder of the alu N447 first built a small boat. I think it was 25' LOA. He did this to try his hand. But he was a farmer and very experienced wih welding. He was a very successful farmer and he once told me that the only way you could make money as a farnmer was to do everything yourself. He was very skilled in a wide range of disciplines.
Jeff_H and Faster like this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-06-2013

kimbottles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I think that Brent is raising a very valid point in his comments about distortion of the plates. From my own experiences with welding I am very aware that distortion can be a serious problem especially for the inexperienced welder. From my limited experience I found steel reasonably forgiving. Other metals not so much....In my case about the time that I thought I was a pretty good welder I decided to weld a small SS fitting. A friend let me use his shop during lunch. After carefully shaping the parts, I spent an hour welding them together ending up with a useless pretzel. I made the parts again and went back to my friend who 10-15 min later had made a flawless weldment that just needed to be polished out.

In this case, the good news is that Bob is using a welder who understands aluminum. But it highlights the issue of amateur construction. An amateur with an aptitude for welding might be able to weld up a steel boat with reasonably thick plating, but I seriously think it is far less likely that an amateur can weld up an aluminum boat without a lot more practice and experience than would be easy to acquire as a dilettante.

Jeff
The engineers who detailed the steel fin for my Perry designed keel were very worried about welding distortion. Fortunately we had the fin fabricated at Pacific Fishermen and Dave the welder who did the work was a master craftsman with 46 years experience.

It came out PERFECT.

If you want it done with no worry go straight to the pros. Jim Betts is a pro.

Last edited by kimbottles; 10-06-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-06-2013
grumpy old man

I must say that I have been quite obsessed with this project since the Rat suggested an alu whaleboat. I now have five interested buyers. Just have to have one for myself first that I can show and prove how good it is.

Looking at just under 120 lbs. since we added the alu trim pieces. That could change as the scantlings may change after I talk with the builder.

Jody Culbertson is the man doing the hard work here. He does all my 3D work and he's as good as it gets. He knows geometry. He knows computers. He is a sailor. He did all the 3-D modelling and pattern program work for the 62'er at PSC.

Not sure how we will hadle the rowlocks yet (thats what I call them). Jody found some really Gucci oarlocks at a really Gucci price. I was hoping for more of a Popeye look. But Jody may be right. We may end up with the Gucci ones.

But these images show my rowlock brackets designed to gtake a variety of tholepin locations for the simple reason that I was not sure where they would be placed. Jody, smart ass, came up with this classic 7-11 rule for placing them relative to the seat. It sounds good to me. For now that detail is floating.

There is no other boat like this one. It's a work boat designed to satisfy the discerning rower who wants a sea worthy pulling boat.

I think I'll name mine POPEYE.
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and cons of steel sailboats-pea-fin1.jpg   Pros and cons of steel sailboats-pea-fin-2.jpg   Pros and cons of steel sailboats-pea-fin-3.jpg  

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-06-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Oh,,,good,,,I know the fires of hell.
your married then
Old 10-06-2013
grumpy old man

Floyd.
Yes, how did you know?

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-06-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Floyd.
Yes, how did you know?
fires of hell dead giveaway.
Old 10-06-2013
grumpy old man

Floyd:
My fires of hell have nothing to do with my wonderful wife. She is a saint.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-07-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I see you posted this at SA! LOL

Any way, some little 24' white boat with a wood transom walked away from me in light winds yesterday. When they picked up, I dang near caught her, then hit a hole and light winds. dang currents......an hour later I finished after being with in 1-200 yds of finish line.........how does that song go B-I-N-G-O.............cute little small azzed boat, great in light winds...........

Marty