Not a Member? 

Like Tree1722Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Golly, you guys make yacht design so complicated.
I put on some nice music and I draw a boat. Over and over it seems to work. But I don't work in a vacuum.

You have to take a wholistic approach. See the boat. Be the boat In a Chevy Chase voice). Kim's got it. Jeff takes the surgical approach. "I could remove the spleen but then I'd have to,,,,," No if you remove the spleen you are spleenless.

Len:
6" deck beams? 6" by what? Molded? Sided? On what centers? This is some mammoth vessel you are describing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 10-08-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
you cant take a cutting torch to wood, cut out a piece then weld in another like you can with steel.
Thankfully.. All you need is a Fein, boat nails and another piece of wood.

I can't think of anything in boat-repair much more difficult than patching a hole with plate steel. It looks simple enough to an onlooker, but I've seen even professional welders (cheap ones, I might add) stuff it up totally by not allowing for weld stress and heating.

EDIT: Thinking about this, in theory you might be able to cut wood with a plasma cutter. Dunno.. I'm not silly enough to try it. It's always easier to use the right tools for the job at hand.

Last edited by Classic30; 10-08-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-08-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Bob ,Thane is a modified Spray, 40 lodeck 22ton .all yellow cedar, frames 4x4 laminated on 18 inch centers and deck beams 6x6 on 24", planking is 2x2 strip yellow cedar. Fairly stout and CSI for 18 passengers. See her on you tube Thane sail past. I've taught welding at tech school so building in steel (origami) wouldn't be a problem but there is something about a woodie that brings in 6 figures a summer so I don't have to exert myself.
Old 10-08-2013
grumpy old man

"but there is something about a woodie that brings in 6 figures a summer so I don't have to exert myself. "

So, let me get this correct, you are saying you run a whorehouse out of your boat?
Cool.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-08-2013

Actually, I've done that as we followed the herring fleet. Interesting charter. but now I'm the (commercial link). Legit and easier.and more satisfied customers.

Last edited by DRFerron; 10-08-2013 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Commercial link removed
Old 10-08-2013

Back to steel construction... I can think of at least two incidences where poor welding caused the sinking of the vessel. One was the Newfoundland ferry from Cape Breton. Dead of winter and the access plate cut during refit for the removal of an engine room generator in the hull was only tacked. Popped out ( or in) and that was that.Another case was the 90 ft?? charter sail built behind Capital Iron .Name escapes me but I distinctly remember the owner hired welders off the street. They fitted hull plating out of bits and cuttings to fill the gaps. Welded on the outside only, no bevel and ground down to look good Of course a piece gave in and she sank in the inside passage. All this to say a constructee is only as good as the constructor. regardless of medium.
Old 10-08-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
...All this to say a constructee is only as good as the constructor. regardless of medium.
This is exactly right. Which is why typical cruising wannabes without significant welding/fabrication experience should stay away from building their own steel boat. It just makes no sense. They should put their money and time into sailing instead.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-09-2013
grumpy old man

We now have four builders very interested in building the peen pod. This will put me in a position I am not comfortable in. I just produce designs. I don't arrange the build of multiple boats. There has to be some balance point between quality and price. But the latest builder to contact me is very, very good and also close by.
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and cons of steel sailboats-pea-fin1.jpg  

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-09-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Design a cool, beautiful boat - everything else just falls into place.

As for Brent, I think his issue with you is that you're just having too much fun.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-09-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

It's a nice-looking boat, Bob..

It is kind of you to share the process with us.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Closed Thread