Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

"an underlying theme of extreme envy"
Brent, there you go again projecting.

Smacks is just interested in your work and wants some honest answers. With your consistantly defensive posture you see almost any question as an "attack". I don't know what it is but as a professional I would think you would want to satisfy his curiosity rather than reply with your own personal attacks. This is just about boats. I think saying Smacks is envious of you is a bit silly. You do not know the man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 07-15-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Brent, I think if you would go and read the stuff on s/v Silas Crosby you would see that Smack IS directly quoting your customer. So the thing to do would be to tell us how you would explain the difference in what the owner of s/v Silas Crosby had to say and what you were saying, because there IS a great difference in the two, and were I you I would do it in a way that did not piss off my clients past or possibly future.

Sailors tend to play rough, we tend to be blunt, and we tend to expect other sailors to be able to take it as they dish it out, however, as a very experienced manager of sales staff I can tell you that your customers will not want you dogging them out and basically calling them liars. Sailors or not, they are not going to want to pay for the privilege of being called names. So, try to clean up your messes, stop putting down everyone else's choice of building materials, and expound on the good points of your own while also being able to admit that your favorite material does have it down side as well.

In short, try not to make it seem that you are implying that every other material, and every other designer are inferior to your material and design method, people really find that very offensive.
Sn0wman and newbie139 like this.
Old 07-15-2013
grumpy old man

+1

Bob's Blog ....

Old 07-15-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Right, another 1,000 or 2,000 lbs in the keel structure .Right on, closer to 1,000 lbs,exactly as Steve said,. After ther passage of 21 years the memory of how many hours I spent on her fades, especialy someone elses hours.
You guys keep forgeting I am retired and if someone would rather buy a plastic boat and risk his life among the debris, I dont give a rat's ass if he doesnt buy my book or plans.
I do remember cruising for that summer, after having worked the month of june.
I make my book available to those who know better than to blow their cruising funds on commercialy made crap, when they can make far better boats and gear for a fraction the cost , themselves, the only ones I am interested in dealing with. Yes I enjoy shooting ducks off a fence especially the feather brained ducks who make such ridiculous comments that a wooden boat is stronger than a steel one. Such crap must be challenged, lest someone die from believing it.
Old 07-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
Smack, I was just looking at your boat on the blog thingy, dude, that is a good deal and it is a fine looking boat. Hope you guys enjoy it a lot, and at least you know it will not have huge rust stains running down from the scuppers like some other kind of boat might have... well might have if it was finished.
When Robin Knox johnston finished his circumnavigation in Suhaili, she was drooling rust everywhere, far more so than Moitessiers Joshua. Joshua was built of steel, Suhaili was built of some snobby pretentious material called "TEAK' ( a type of dead vegitation) a far inferior boat building material than steel. Steel cruisers drooling rust are rare, and those which do are obviously doing something wrong. Get it right and you wont have that problem. It is mostly those who have never owned a steel boat who give such naive, foolish advice. I remember Amazons, which had the toe rail made of dead vegitation 3/4 inch above the decks, all the way around, streaked with smog all around ther top sides. Runoff could drool down the topsides anywhere. I use a steel bulwark with two scuppers with stainless drip lips under them, which take any drips clear of the topsides. All crud including urban exhuast fallout is directed to the scuppers and drip lips, keeping it clear of the topsides.The only rust I have is from my anchor chain. If that gets to the scuppers it drips clear of the topsides. This is but one example of how owning a steel boat for many years is critical to designing one for easy mainenance.

Smackdaddy, how did you lose your last boat?

Last edited by Brent Swain; 07-15-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2013
grumpy old man

BS:
Your knee jerk defensive posture makes you a very easy target Brent. As an MMA guy I would assume you know you can't be on defense all the time.
Personal attacks do not consitute an offense.

We love it when you tell us how to enjoy our lives.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 07-15-2013

I checked Steve's blog again, and see no mention of the boat being dead empty, while crossing an ocean. Can you cross an ocean in a completely empty boat, or predict exactly what amount of weight any owner will put aboard, as you imply I should be doing?
Old 07-15-2013
grumpy old man

B S:
Just put the matter to rest by publishing one of your weight studies. That should do it. If nothing esle it will put the peanut gallery to sleep. Few things are more boring or NECESSARY than a weight study.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 07-15-2013

I have only dealt with two people who loved their pot and booze too much to finish their boat. One, after pulling the hull together, did nothinjg for several years onher. I volenteered 8 hours and in that time , including diigging the steel out of the grass grown over it , I had all the decks on in 8 hours. He did nothing more til he sold the boat to a freind, who had circumnavigated in one of my 36 footers (Island Breeze ). The new owner bought the bare hull in mid january and by june was headed out on a fisheries job in the boat.
When someone can do more in a few months than others can accomplish in years, it is not the building procces which is at fault.
If one has far more money than one knows what to do with, then buying new is irelevant. If one is short of money, and lack of money will shorten ones cruising time, only then is buying new foolish.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 07-15-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Smackdaddy, how did you lose your last boat?
I wrote about it on here. Our C27 sunk in her slip (along with several other boats) during a freak 60-knot wind-storm that drove the stems of all the boats into the dock for several hours (totaling roughly 90% of the boats on that dock):

After the sinking, I was left with a decision...should I go to a steel boat that BS has forever boasted would easily withstand such a beating without a scratch - AND would be cheaper and safer than anything else? Or should I stick with the flimsy, dangerous, and expensive fiberglass yacht?

The BS certainly sounded good. And I was sorely tempted. Then I did some research and understood the reality.

I bought a very nice Hunter...

...and saved a great deal of money I would have otherwise sunk into an aesthetically challenged steel boat;
...and saved having to beg for space and help and equipment to build that beast;
...and saved years of time I would have otherwise put into scouring dumps for cast-off parts and learning to weld, etc. before ever sailing a single mile...

...and I started cruising.

Couldn't be happier.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-15-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Closed Thread