Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1721Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJohns View Post
Here's a picture Of scaldis Built 1935 50' on deck around 43 LWL 25 tons displacement lightship around 28 tons departure. Sailing up to her mooring with one adult and and 2 children as they do in all weathers. A very handy boat.Build is flush riveted steel by De Vries Lentsch. She just had her first cut and patch since 1935 and had around 10 One ft square patches replaced along the bilge concrete ballast line in the wet bilge, a few pinholes had been weeping for a while.
Another old steeler.

This from I think the first edition of the Proper Yacht. From memory posted in an Anarchy thread on double enders. I have no idea if she still lives.

smackdaddy and bfloyd4445 like this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-24-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Fuzz:
That is a beautiful yacht. I remember it from years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 10-24-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Paulo, I confess I love that style of European (Dutch ?) boats. To paraphrase the song lyric ... they move me.

Aren't there another couple of examples or has the GFC taken them down ? i remember when I was doing the YachtWorld circuit before we bought our girl that I spent some considerable time drooling over a couple of Euro boats that were of that semi classic style but very modern underwater.

I'll try and find them Beautiful boats, either steel or aluminium.

edit .... Bestewind was one of them .... the other boat in this pic is a Van de Stadt built by the same yard.

and this is the other ..... very similar to the previous boat Paulo posted or is it the same ? Not sure.

edit ... she's a Puffin 42
Yes, very nice boats, great steel and aluminium designers (with a long tradition) and some of the best metal and steel shipyards.

Also Dutch, I like this one it can be made in aluminium or steel but the one that is being built is in steel. I like the simplicity, the modern underbody and the classical looks:

Regards

Paulo

Old 10-24-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Been cruising, you know, that activity which boats are supposed to be about. Unlike some , I haven't spent the last couple of weeks siting in front of a computer, giving advice on something I rarely experience.
Internet access is shrinking in these islands.
"Cruising"? Never heard of it.

The boys and I will be doing a 150 mile off-shore delivery this weekend on a sailboat. But we'll be sailing.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-24-2013
grumpy old man

Great looking boats Paulo. I wish I could get a design commission like that.

Here is a nice alu boat I did with a Dutch builder.

I think you could make my pics look better. This boat is currently owned by a German family who is cuising full time. They love the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and cons of steel sailboats-stepalah.pic1-004.jpg   Pros and cons of steel sailboats-stepalah.pic1-010.jpg   Pros and cons of steel sailboats-stepalah.pic1-012.jpg   Pros and cons of steel sailboats-stepalah.pic1-013.jpg  

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-24-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post

I think you could make my pics look better. This boat is currently owned by a German family who is cuising full time. They love the boat.
Wow - why have you been hiding this baby?????

Brent - take a look. This is a beautiful boat:

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-24-2013
grumpy old man

Yeah Smackers, it's a honey. What can I say? I'm pretty good at this. I have worked very hard to get good at this. I'm proud of my work.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-24-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post

Yes I can but you have to learn how to do it

Go here (or to a similar site):

Photobucket.com

Open an account (free), post there the photos and then post the link on the thread. You will get big photos.

Very nice boat. Only the keel does not make my style. But the design looks sharp. How many years has that design?

That was the type of boat that more than 10 years ago I thought I want. In fact I have modified an existent design and contacted the boat designer to see if it could be made. That's before the crisis and I had more money Anyway I quickly discover that was not really the boat I wanted and on the same type of boat (aluminium passage maker) I went for another design.

Regards

Paulo

Old 10-24-2013
grumpy old man

Paulo:
On a blue water cruiser like this the boat has to be able to be set on it's keel at haul out. It is a low aspect ratio keel buit when you haul it out it cacn rest on the keel.

Plus,,,when you have restricted draft you need an effective low aspect ratio fin. I think I have that here.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-24-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Stepalah ..... drooling ..... very nice indeed BP.

btw ... Angantyr .... yes she still lives ... and quite perky with it.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Closed Thread