Not a Member? 

Like Tree1721Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2013

desert rat is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

TY Jeff
That helps me understand why there are not thousands of these boats on the4 water.
I will spend many days researching the evolution of the skipjack hull form, and I am
going to practice (at least try) calculateing center of effort, and center of resistance on different rigs. TY again.
WEW
Old 10-27-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

"I am going to practice (at least try) calculateing center of effort, and center of resistance on different rigs"

Desert: I understand what you are trying to do but consider this as you proceed:

How are you going to do that? A sail is not a 2 dimensional shape laying flat on the boat's centerline. A sail is three dimensional and never laying flat on the boat's centerline. You can play with geometry and find the centroid of the different plans forms but I don't think this gives you an understanding of the center of pressure. It's the center of pressure that is at work. Not the center of the 2D area. I'm not sure what you mean by "center of resistance".
Brent Swain likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 10-27-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-27-2013

desert rat is on a distinguished road

I will start with simple calculations and compare them with what really happens,
above (center of effort), and below(center of resistance), the waterline. As i add more and more variables it will quickly get beyond the reasonable effort for a learning exercise. Calculus with 2 or 3 variables begins to hurt my head. Jeff pointed me at oyster boats (skipjack) I will go through all the sailing designs i can find of skipjack hulls. I fear4 I may end up looking at drawings of some of those lovely racing boats PCP keeps posting videos of.
Old 10-27-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
"I am going to practice (at least try) calculateing center of effort, and center of resistance on different rigs"

Desert: I understand what you are trying to do but consider this as you proceed:

How are you going to do that? A sail is not a 2 dimensional shape laying flat on the boat's centerline. A sail is three dimensional and never laying flat on the boat's centerline. You can play with geometry and find the centroid of the different plans forms but I don't think this gives you an understanding of the center of pressure. It's the center of pressure that is at work. Not the center of the 2D area. I'm not sure what you mean by "center of resistance".
Right on!
The 2D profile has nothing to do with the centre of pressure. We consider the centre of lift on an airplane wing ,a point 20% back from the leading edge of a wing, not the centre of area. The well rounded forefoot of a boat has almost zero lateral resistance , but shows up on a 2D profile cutout. A balanced rudder has the axis around 24% back from the leading edge, not in the middle.
Old 10-27-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
There is a sistership of Angantyre for sale in Comox BC, possibly by Wills Marine. She is extremely well done, and recently given a mirror finish at Ocean Pacific in Campbell River. A very thorough , and practical welder fitter named Chuck Birchill bought the partly finished hull from a school teacher in Ladysmith BC and finished her extremely well .
I took a look at the Wills site - she looks nicely done but is hardly more than a "wet kit" - for nearly 1/2 $mil.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-27-2013
grumpy old man

Desert:
I think if you establish a method of measurement and stay with that method and slowly accumulate enough results from a wide variety of boats you may have something useful for comparisons.
Brent Swain likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-27-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Chuckles:
But you are laboring under a false assumption. You are equating directional stability with having a long keel. That's just not so. The boats I know with the best directional stability have small-ish keels and nice, big spade rudders well aft. They turn on a dime and they hold a straight course. I've done dozens of boats like this. Look at the Valiant 40. It has a relatively small keel like STEPALAH's but it is renowned for its directional stability.

Quote:
Well said Bob! Right on!
If a boat sails 5 keel lengths in the time it takes to broach, and wanders only 5 degees per keel length, that is still 50 degrees off course ! For a 30 ft long keel, that's only a sailing distance of 150 feet! Dont expect the relativey short comparative length of a full length keel to make any significant difference in that distance. Hull shape and hull balance makes a huge diference, keel length ; minimal difference, if any. A full length keel will do nothing to compensate for poor hull balance.
What it will give you is around 350 pounds of useless weight in the stern of a steel boat, an area which is almost impossible to access for maintenance, and which is too far aft to use for tankage , without putting excessive weight in the stern, where you need it least . In a steel boat, it is also a lot more work to build a full length keel
It seems that you two finally agree on something and it is a thing that many, I would say less informed, members, would tend not to agree, I mean that a long keel boat is not necessarily more stable than a fin keel boat. Me and Jeff are also saying that for a long time.

I hope this settles the question, unless it is needed Tanton to say the same for you all to be convinced and put an end to that unsubstantiated dogma.

Regards

Paulo
steve77 and Brent Swain like this.

Old 10-27-2013
grumpy old man

I think if I owned an old fashioned full keel boat I would name it:
UNSUBSTANTIATED DOGMA

Great boat name.
chall03, xymotic and smackdaddy like this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-27-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I cant imagine it . I sure dont want to build any more boats. Just turned down a couple of boats . I'll stick to jobs I can do in a couple of days, max.
Sale of books and plans , plus full pension soon, is all the money than I need.
Cant imagine why he would want a boat that big!
off topic, sorry.
I asked myself the same questions but was polite enough not to ask. His 32 didn't have any electronics but he had sailed it to NZ and other places in the pacific.

sounds like you have a great plan. Since I retired I just play with my toys and wander here and there doing what ever strikes my fancy at the moment. Don't live high on the hog but I eat the best parts.....
SloopJonB and Brent Swain like this.
Old 10-27-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
It seems that you two finally agree on something and it is a thing that many, I would say less informed, members, would tend not to agree, I mean that a long keel boat is not necessarily more stable than a fin keel boat. Me and Jeff are also saying that for a long time.

I hope this settles the question, unless it is needed Tanton to say the same for you all to be convinced and put an end to that unsubstantiated dogma.

Regards

Paulo
.....laughing so hard.....thanks Paulo...Please, I'm an uninformed member not less informed < Bob will most certainly agree with this>and trying to correct this handicap. However, I do understand how much Bob and Brent love each other.....chuckle....
Closed Thread