Pros and cons of steel sailboats - Page 194 - SailNet Community
 1723Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1931 of 5317 Old 10-28-2013
grumpy old man

Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Hey Smackers:
Do those come in a size 15? I got some nasty big feet.

Floyd:
Don't think of it as scratches. Just think of it as more fairing.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1932 of 5317 Old 10-28-2013

I have seen pictures of a Brent boat railing system and while it does NOT meet classic looks

It is a completely practical and SAFE system

My Cal with the 2" X 4 " stanchion bases and most other good looking boats leave the factory with lifeline systems that fail all the time because of tiny stanchion bases

In general most owners have a fit if someone even touches the stanchion while there docking because there afraid there going to break
Brent Swain likes this.

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
post #1933 of 5317 Old 10-28-2013
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Crampons don't hurt steel.

A guy invented a kind of those shoes to go up the mast. No they don't hurt the mast and they seem a good idea to me. Maybe is this time I get something that allows to pull up my 93kg to the top of my big mast. I have tried other systems but end up being tired at the middle. Well, my 18 years old soon tried it and had done no better

Maybe he shows that in Dusseldorf, I would like to try them.

Regards

Paulo

post #1934 of 5317 Old 10-28-2013
grumpy old man

I think these solid pipe lifelines may be a part of the gross tonnage rule. If 34" is good. Why isn't 44" even better?

Mine goes to 11.

Bob's Blog ....

post #1935 of 5317 Old 10-28-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
She is anything but a wet kit, has been finished for years . A fortune was spent on her at Ocean Pacific in the last year or two, including that super mirror finish paint job.
She may be "finished" to your standards Brent but I doubt many of the people here would regard anything but the outside as being finished. That interior barely qualifies as roughed in (to the rest of us).
Attached Thumbnails
custom-58ftoffshore 2.jpg   custom-58ftoffshore 3.jpg   custom-58ftoffshore.jpg   custom-offshore 4.jpg  

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #1936 of 5317 Old 10-28-2013
grumpy old man

Kind of makes you wonder what the definition of "yacht" is. I will grant you that it is a boat. I think Brent designs boats certainly not yachts..

Not a bad looking cabin trunk though. The cockpit is a bit wanky with no well and everyone exposed. Maybe that's the way BS likes them. This type of outcome is just what I would expect when you sell inadequate plans very cheaply to people with no comprehension of what it will cost to actually finish their "boat". You can't sail "the philosophy". You can't go anywhere on a dream. I don't give a rats' ass how high your life lines are. And when you are done and the dream disintegrates you are left with a boat you can't sell. Nobody wants it at any price. It's a child that only the mother can love. It's pretty damn sad.
Andrew65 likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 10-28-2013 at 07:52 PM.
post #1937 of 5317 Old 10-28-2013

Just a coat of white paint would make the interior look a world better. Do you design the cabinets to fit between the ribs or just fill it out with insulation and go from there?

Zen is a matter of recognizing reality.
post #1938 of 5317 Old 10-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Hey Smackers:
Do those come in a size 15? I got some nasty big feet.

Floyd:
Don't think of it as scratches. Just think of it as more fairing.
I can see the attraction for yacht builders. Those things are a cost cutting tool to get the customer to texture their own decks saving build money for the grog fund
post #1939 of 5317 Old 10-28-2013
grumpy old man

"I can see the attraction for yacht builders. Those things are a cost cutting tool to get the customer to texture their own decks saving build money for the grog fund "

I don't get it. Are you talking about my huge feet. I was a very good swimmer.
bfloyd4445 likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

post #1940 of 5317 Old 10-28-2013

Is it just me, or has anyone else noted that the original poster started this thread in November of last year and hasn't been back since January? He hasn't even logged on SailNet since February. Talk about a thread taking on a life of its own.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.