Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1321Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Brent:
I was being facetious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2013
grumpy old man

Brent:
I never thought that McCleer and Harris boat was yours. It didn't have your,,,,,oh,,,,how you say,,,,,,,,,,,well, you know what I mean.

But I'm still confused with the Italian designer credit.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-29-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Sometimes you don't make a lot of sense bfly.
off topic

Thanks Bob, for recognizing I make a little sense. A little sense is better than nonsense

B
Old 10-29-2013
grumpy old man

"Thanks Bob, for recognizing I make a little sense. A little sense is better than nonsense "

Floyd, I didn't say that Smack did. But I agree with Smack, sometimes you make some sense.

Or to quote my very favorite Steve Martin quote:
"Some people have a way with words. Other people not have way."
smackdaddy likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-29-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I have never wanted to see my boat sailing away from me in mid ocean, for the sake of her looking "Classic " in the process. Advocating such priorities is advocating bad seamanship.
Making stanchions/lifelines taller so one "won't fall over while standing up" is actually a dangerous design IMUSO. One's center-of-gravity should be as low as possible while going forward. And, in challenging conditions, one should be clipped in. This is good seamanship - because this is physics. Most sailors (especially bowmen) know this. Typical stanchions/lifelines are designed for this low-center-of-gravity standard of good seamanship. That's why you see it virtually everywhere.

One might say that "Advocating other priorities is advocating bad seamanship."

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-29-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Got up yesterday morning early in order to have little/no wind taking the genny down (boat to be out of water for further fittings etc). Deck was a skating rink.
On GFP boats have diamond pattern in tooling which gives some traction but on metal boats I've seen depend on treadmaster or the like or "poisoning" the paint with walnut shells or microballons.
Love to lie on the for deck and read or nap underway. Find all the deck treatments except molded in patterns too abrasive. Wonder if you steel construction buffs are aware of any new treatments which are more user friendly?
Old 10-29-2013

Tim Newman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Kind of makes you wonder what the definition of "yacht" is. I will grant you that it is a boat. I think Brent designs boats certainly not yachts..
Quite. I'm somewhat of a lurker on here, not much of a sailor, but I've read most of this thread...

And yes, it is possible to build a tank of a boat and supplement it with parts scrounged from a scrapheap which can just about be called a "yacht". However, most people don't want to take this approach to boating, and aesthetics on yachts are considered by most to be hugely important. Certainly, it is the aesthetics of yachts which first attracted me to them.

By way of analogy, I used to be a Land Rover enthusiast, and bought an old 1973 Series III ex-military Lightweight. It was a beast of a machine, huge girders welded into a ladder for a chassis, leaf springs off a bus, bull-bars from the set of Mad Max II, it was indestructible. I had heaps of fun fixing it up myself and hanging out with the other Land Rover enthusiasts, and although it looked rough and handled even worse, there was a certain beauty in its simplicity and ruggedness.

That said, I didn't spend half my time trying to explain to Porsche owners that although their cars may look much better, they would come off second best in an argument with a breeze-block wall...something which (I proved this) would not be the case with my Land Rover. Different people like different cars for different reasons, aesthetics are very important to some people, ruggedness and simplicity for others, and you make compromises on different qualities to find something suitable for the discerning individual.

It's why I find Brent's protestations on here odd: it's like a Land Rover owner trying to persuade Ducati riders of the virtues of four wheels and a chassis left over from a Victorian railway bridge. I'm actually quite impressed by the ingenuity of the home-made steel boats, and the reusing of scrap metal to make all the various bits, it is an interesting and innovative way to get yourself out to sea and requires no small amount of skill (I'm an engineer myself). But the vast majority of people don't want a boat which looks as though it was constructed during an episode of Scrapheap Challenge, even if it means that they could potentially come off second best against a stubbornly unsympathetic shipping container idling in the bay. Each to their own, and all that.
PCP, Faster, djodenda and 3 others like this.
Old 10-29-2013
grumpy old man

I want a 1955 Oldsmobile like I had in high school. That's a far better car than a stinky Porsche. Huge back seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Pros and cons of steel sailboats-1954-1956-oldsmobile-1955-oldsmobile-98-holiday.jpg  

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-29-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I want a 1955 Oldsmobile like I had in high school. That's a far better car than a stinky Porsche. Huge back seat.
Of course but you forget the essential, it is also as faster, more comfortable on a bumpy road and more beautiful

Regards

Paulo

Old 10-29-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
And an even bigger trunk for sneaking friends into drive-in movies.

Oh, wait - drive-ins don't exist anymore.

Nevermind.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.