Not a Member? 

Like Tree1615Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Stmble:
Many thanks for the tips. I will pass that along when the time comes.
Thanks for the compliment.

Paulo:
Personally I don't like those added background scene effects. I think they detract from the pure design. But my client likes them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Bob,

I looked it up, and there is now a new sintering technique that has come along since I left. It's called laser sintering, and actually doesn't require a mold to be made. Instead of using the CAD drawing to make molds, they use a 3d printer to directly make the part from titanium, which reduces the cost even more, and makes prototyping even faster.

I know in titanium it can match the strength of a machined part (+\- 2%) versus a cast part, and I assume the same would be true for stainless.

See Benefits of laser sintered titanium - AMD ? Aerospace Manufacturing and Design for a brief primer on the process.
Faster likes this.
Old 11-20-2013
grumpy old man

Stumbler:
My 3D guy Jody Culbertson III is very up to date on these processes. I will pass your info along to Jody. Thanks for the help. That's exactly why I hang out hear.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 11-22-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Okay, after a very long absence, ( I think I had withdrawals and everything LOL) I got a chance to get on here and check in you guys...

Beautiful boats from Bob, good comments from many others, pointed sarcasm and some great wise cracks from Smackers, and of course BS from BS...

I have been out in the wild world of work trying to stack up a little cash to be able to meet my own goals on purchasing a nice boat, and I have done fairly well, so hopefully sometime next year. The K43 Kettenburg I want is still available, and I think it will still be by the time I get all my money together and can take a few months off to get her and move her up further into the PNW to ado a little more work on her.

I was actually up in Astoria, Oregon the other day and man, I really miss the ocean. It was cool, and rainy, and just awesome. Unfortunately I was incredibly ill and I just could not go out and do anything, seems the flu or possibly a mild ( if that was mild I would hate to have seen harsh) case of food poisoning. I wanted to go do some stuff but all I could do was get a room at the hotel and hibernate in between trips to the head.

You guys have fun, and enjoy your discussions, I am up in New Jersey today and hopefully on the way back to Texas tonight, so I won't have time to do much here either. It is too bad that my work is a lot like work, not like Bob's work which is a lot like a love affair...

Mark
Old 11-22-2013

kimbottles is on a distinguished road

Mark,

I have sailed on a K-43 and they are very nice vessels. IMHO they are the best of Kettenburg's (much better looking than the K-50). Hope you get her!

Kim
Old 11-22-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbottles View Post
Mark,

I have sailed on a K-43 and they are very nice vessels. IMHO they are the best of Kettenburg's (much better looking than the K-50). Hope you get her!

Kim
I was on board a K43 for the first time a few years ago, and it was just truly a classic sailing vessel.

I know of several that are for sale and all are within my price range, of course the purchase is only the beginning on these boats because of the age a full update on electrical and other systems is prudent. I have factored this cost in and still will have the money to do it, and since I will live on this boat until I die it is not a hard decision. I am just working for this one last little bit before I get on the boat to be able to do it right. Lord willing I will be able to make the move sometime mid year 2014 and that will be fine.

I am NOT posting photos because that is a sure fire way to see the one I want go to someone else LOL.

Mark
Old 11-22-2013

kimbottles is on a distinguished road

Smart man!
Old 11-22-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Mark - make sure to touch base with CharlieCobra around here. He is a master of wood boat renovation and has done some phenomenal work on a couple of Kets (and others).

Baggett and Sons Marine Restoration

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-22-2013
grumpy old man

I was talking to Charlie yesterday. He's just finishing up a big project, Fisher 46.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 11-22-2013
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Where is Charlie these days? I miss his posts on here. It was great to see what was going on at Baggett and Sons.