Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Don't get yer panties into an uproar there Brent. Of course GRP is the hull. Still don't see any big cost savings. Yep, sure lots of bits and pieces can be fabricated from the scraps, found it interesting when the guy had to cut some 125+ tabs for the interior, weld another 100 or so SS nuts to the deck and all the other detail work you conveniently forget to mention. Wiping down the interior hull with vinegar, finding a guy to spray foam the interior, galvanizing the stringers, etc, etc, etc. Sounds like folks had to run all over creation to cob together a boat.
I have 35 tabs holding my interior in. Took under an hour, a lot less time than glassing bulkheads in. Using a laser pointer off a centreline wire made them very easy to do ,and accurate.I have never had to weld 125 nuts or any ss nuts on deck. I dont know why anyone would.To be liveable in BC, any boat, including GRP needs to be well insulated . Finding a sprayfoamer takes a few minutes checking the yellow pages, not too physical. Wiping the interior with vinegar taks a few minutes, again not terribly physical labour.
As you can weld all the deck hardware down, it takes far less time than bolting and bedding stuff to fibreglass, and unlike a fibreglass hull, it will never leak or work loose.
So how about posting a quote for the fibreglassing materials to build a 36 foot hull and deck , so we can compare it to the $9 K for the plate for a 36 ft steel hull and deck etc? Then post the costy of all the gear we build out of $1.50 a pound scrap stainless, plus the anchors we build out of hull' scraps.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 11-24-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Another bad day Brent?

Smackers:
Thanks for the scotch.
Love the video. Like the Miles in the background.
Maybe think of changing your boats's name to FUKASHIMA DEBRIS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 11-24-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Brent, baby, it takes ZERO "steel boat experience" to compare your conflicting claims in one post with those in another. It takes ZERO "steel boat experience" to research your untrue claims on the interwebs.

So actually, yes, I (and others who care to take the time to check them out) can easily spot your frequent "inaccuracies" when you post. You're just not that smart...despite your YEARS of "steel boat experience". Such experience simply makes the whoppers that much more inexcusable. So I'm just trying to make sure your inaccuracies/whoppers don't bite anyone else in the ass.

BTW - I'm sitting on my Hunter, toasty warm with a 2 degree C north wind blowing 25 knots, I'm drinking a fine scotch, listening to great music, and glad I'm not stuck with a steel boat and the bitterness that seems to come with it.
Take it easy on that scotch .It explains why you believe you can pick numbers out of the air, and belive they are more accurate than hands on experience. Is drunkeness directing your posts? It appears to be.
Old 11-24-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Brent:
I sat down and posted a long answer to yur last questions to me. Then I deleted it. I don't think you are interested in what I think of your work so why bother. I think what I posted would just stir up more animosity. Except for right here on this web site our worlds will never collide. Oh, there is the problem of your friend buying my Passport but I suspect you can get over that. I trust none of my sailing friends will buy a BS boat. I think it's better if you just go your way and I'll go mine. We both have very different styles that share nothing whatsoever in common. I can't see that changing.

"Straight from hunger" is a common expression, maybe you could Google it. I did.

"Grim" is a common word, surprised you have never heard it before. It's not "home made" you can Google a definition.
I take that to mean you have no answers, confirming my comments.
Old 11-24-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Take it easy on that scotch .It explains why you believe you can pick numbers out of the air, and belive they are more accurate than hands on experience. Is drunkeness directing your posts? It appears to be.
Nah. I don't really like getting drunk. I just like having a tumbler of the good stuff at dusk.

What numbers have I "picked out of the air"? Those numbers are yours dude! If they're wrong (which they typically are) that's your fault - not mine.

Remember, when one continually spews BS, hands-on experience ends up meaning absolutely nothing.

Prost!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-24-2013
Banned

Quote:
For learning you do not want a forgiving boat. You want a boat that will smack you upside the head and say, "No, stupid, not like that." You want a boat that will quickly respond to your efforts and let you know when you are doing it wrong and when you are doing it right.. I suggest a Laser and be prepared to get wet. Maybe start in a more sedate dinghy than a Laser and work your way up to a Laser. But you will quickly learn the rudiments when swimming is the option. For years this is how we did it. You started in a dinghy and you worked your way up. Is that crazy? It worked very well for me. I have sailed so many racing dinghies I can't recall them all and they made me a more than competant sailor.

I am amazed at the sailors today who think they are experts when they would be brought to their knees in a good, fast dinghy. A good sailor can sail anything. It just takes time.

Re:
the 40-8 work boat
Look at that beautiful powder horn sheer. Some one thought about that. Someone had an eye. Someone designed that. Someone controlled that line. Sure it's a barge but it is a beautiful barge I find the whole craft very nicely designed. There is nothing that says "utilitarian" has to mean ugly. Ugly is just an artifact of lack of design skills.
Yes, the best dinghy sailors are the best racing crews. Its the ideal way for beginersto learn. However, for someone just wanting to get off the treadmill, and into the cruising lifestyle, on doesnt have to be able to get the last tenth of a knot out of her. That's throwback to the puritan "Be reasonable and do it the hard way "school of thought.
Definition
Puritanism
The terrible, nagging fear that someone, somewhere, just might be having a good time
Old 11-24-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Another bad day Brent?

Smackers:
Thanks for the scotch.
Love the video. Like the Miles in the background.
Maybe think of changing your boats's name to FUKASHIMA DEBRIS.
Yeah, and the best part was that because the boat isn't BS Steel, I was able to keep the whole thing nice and toasty with a tiny electric ceramic heater (1500 watts). I wasn't continuously belching pollution into the atmosphere - like the Chinese and Brent Swain - with a "roaring" wood stove. Why, I didn't even have to chop any wood! I just plugged the damn thing in!

I wish Brent cared more about our fragile environment. Every man needs to do his part to reduce his carbon footprint a bit.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-24-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-24-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
My eldest is a steroliographer or however you spell it - means 3d printer on steroids for all I understand it.
I bet he'd have a blast working that up.

Maybe I can get him to do me so $2 dollar blocks up.

I just need to find the magical 3/8 bolts that Brent uses, I can't find any with a tensile strength he says a common one found in a junk yard will have.

Smacky, how, if he ever delivers that block, do you propose to test it?
I had a thought you could use a fish scale to measure the pounds and have one of your sons pull on it until it falls apart. That should do it.
I'd love to find a 3D printer here, who could take the parts of a cheap set of reading glasses, and copy them in nylon or polypropylene ,to make some which would never break.

How do you find the magical 3/16th shackles and pins on a $25 Garhaur block, or the 14 gauge beckets, to match a 3/8th ss bolt? How do you find a half inch jib sheet which is stronger than the sheer strenth of a 3/8th inch ss bolt? A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Most riggers match things up for equal strength. So check the boats in your marina, and see what size of rigging wire is held up by 3/8th inch bolts or clevis pins. Then check the tensile strength of that size rigging wire.
I'd like to see this son who can break an inch and a quarter of 3/16th aluminium, times two, with a tensile strength of 45,000 PSI, or sheer a 3/8th inch stainless bolt off, by hand.

Sounds like Steve is not the only one into the scotch today

Last edited by Brent Swain; 11-24-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-24-2013
grumpy old man

Brent likes to attack people if he thinks they may be drinking. He thinks he's really clever.
Kind of reminds me of that old Winston Churchill quote. I'll take some liberty:

Brent, "You, sir are drunk!"

Me, Smack, anyone, "Yes, I may be drunk now. But tomorrow when I wake up I will be sober. But you will still be Brent Swain."

I have all the answers I need Brent not sure I want to waste my time explaining them to you. No. Correct that. I am certain I do not want to waste my time explaining them to you. You would just twist everything through your anger colored glasses.

"I'd love to find a 3D printer here, who could take the parts of a cheap set of reading glasses, and copy them in nylon or polypropylene ,to make some which would never break. "

Well that does explain a few things.
smackdaddy likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 11-24-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-24-2013
grumpy old man

Brent:
I have a pair of glasses with titainium, frames. They are very light, flexible and very strong. I got them from a Canadian friend of mine who owns Passport 48. They are expensive frames but they may be just what you need if you are hard on frames. I can get you contact info for the Canadian guy who sells the frames if you like.

Bob's Blog ....

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.