Like Tree1642Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
I had a container for a bit, could a used it as a demo.......dang, now why did I sell it again?!?!?!?!?!?

Marty
I've seen containers turned into ultra cheap housing and office accommodations. Imaginative people can come up with some really neat ways of utilizing them. I think Bob's concept of a minimum house (posted somewhere a while back) could be adapted to containers.

As a boat? Not so much. Linear chines are one thing but vertical corrugations?

Maybe if you double skinned it so the corrugations acted like ribs.
Brent Swain likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I've seen containers turned into ultra cheap housing and office accommodations. Imaginative people can come up with some really neat ways of utilizing them. I think Bob's concept of a minimum house (posted somewhere a while back) could be adapted to containers.

As a boat? Not so much. Linear chines are one thing but vertical corrugations?

Maybe if you double skinned it so the corrugations acted like ribs.
You Anti-Origami Consumerist.

Obviously all you have to do is make horizontal cuts in the corrugated steel every 10.33" to create the bends - then you just weld the corrugated strips left over from the initial cut into those spaces on the interior and squirt some filler into the exterior void. Then you epoxy the hell out of it. Done.

The corrugation is critical as it will act to reduce the friction in the water flowing past the hull while under sail or motor (kind of like shark skin) - allowing far more speed than a typical shipping container bobbing around out there. You'll be flying.

Brent will show you. Just wait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-27-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I have no doubt that Brent could whip a container into something that looked kinda, sorta like a boat in no time. Think of it as BS lapstrake.
smackdaddy likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 11-27-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

The "Swainstrake 40"?

I like it, but I'm still partial to the "BS Container".
bobperry likes this.

Old 11-27-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

The BS Lapstrake fukishima debri killing world cruiser for Xenophobic sailors who really dont want to go anywhere.
smackdaddy and bobperry like this.
Old 11-27-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

Fish and Chips place in Faster's marina...

Red Fish Blue Fish | Vancouver Island Resilient and Green Opportunities

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 11-27-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

Whoops.. wrong one.. This one is by Faster
One Fish Two Fish Restaurant « Properfare Vancouver

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 11-27-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJohns View Post
Brent, you are brazen
I thought you'd be hanging your head in shame. "Standing in" might be a better term than "standing by" your comments. Deception spin and downright lies are the hallmarks your posts all over the internet. Your prior post that I commented on initially is very deceitful as is this one.

Lets take some examples in this post you made; that supposed comment on shape and stiffness and the other on a failure time of 4 hrs. Link my comment on either of these (since you claim I made them).
I'm contending that you simply made them up, as usual along with just about everything you post. Prove me wrong rather than the usual diatribe you resort to. Should be easy since you say I posted those comments.

Why try and paint the very professional steel boatbuilder and designer Wynand Nortje racist. Is it because of his comments on your version of origami on his site ? He also never 'attacked' frameless boats, just your claims about your version of frameless boats.
You mentioned that the mast support pipes- hull plate joint may suffer from metal fatigue where they meet the chine after 1,000 cycles. With the average wave period at sea, that would take about 4 hours .
When Fitter welder pointed out that I have aboriginal background , while I was being attacked on every post I made, for obviously racist reasons, Dutch South African Nortje said he was a racist ,and proud of it.
Old 11-27-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
You mentioned that the mast support pipes- hull plate joint may suffer from metal fatigue where they meet the chine after 1,000 cycles. With the average wave period at sea, that would take about 4 hours .
When Fitter welder pointed out that I have aboriginal background , while I was being attacked on every post I made, for obviously racist reasons, Dutch South African Nortje said he was a racist ,and proud of it.
Links or it didn't happen dude. You've done this complete misquoting thing way too many times to be at all credible.

Old 11-27-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
My brother and his neighbours were discussing solar heaters ,at horrendous prices, for their swimming pool in their condos. I asked "Why so pricy?" He said "It's all the fittings on the ends, where the pipes go back and forth."
I said "You don't need any fittings. Black poly pipe comes in a roll. Just lay it out in a spiral on top of the building, till it fills the roof." They did that, for a tiny fraction the cost of a commercially made solar heater, and for many years the propane heater never came on. One hot weekend, they forgot to turn the pump off, and when they got back the pool was too hot to put your toe in. Put a piece of clear plastic over it for greenhouse effect and it gets even more efficient. If you have a south facing roof , you can pipe it from there into a heat storage tank, and you may have plenty of heat for overnight.
At any rate, it doesn't cost much to try it. Black poly pipe is cheap.
Putting foam insulation under the pipe would prevent it from losing too much heat before it got to where it is needed, upping the efficiency. Insulating other sections of the pipe would also help.