Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1695Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Thanksgiving in the old US...

I'm thankful for all the colorful characters of this crazy world of sailing. Life just wouldn't be as fun without ALL you guys.
aeventyr60 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2013

casioqv is on a distinguished road

Bob, before you mentioned how some old trawler conversions look terrible, but others look really good. Do you have any advice on how to make one look good? My dad is converting a 1930s cedar salmon trawler and has it stripped to the bare hull, and hasn't yet decided how to build a cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
If you can then show the drawings to prove you are a "designer". I have never seen them.
I'm no yacht designer, but why would drawings be necessary to make one a yacht designer?

It sounds to me like Brent's boats were designed by hand constructing and testing models. I don't see how it matters if someone is using a mainstream method, as long as the method used delivers results.

Last edited by casioqv; 11-28-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-28-2013

casioqv is on a distinguished road

Brent, do you have any tips for a low cost way of re-rustproofing currently painted steel that is starting to rust and flake the paint off?

I have an 'expedition vehicle' that I want to use to trailer my pocketcruiser through Baja salt marshes in order to beach launch and go sailing. It's an 80s diesel Isuzu Trooper (same engine as the Acrohc Australis has) and I want to rip it apart and rustproof it so it can survive a while with salt... but on a limited budget. I don't care how it looks, as long as it survives.

Should I take it to bare metal and then coat with coal tar epoxy? What would be a good prep process for this?

Last edited by casioqv; 11-28-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Bob how is the voyager coming along. Seen some drawings which look real sweet. Hear it will be ready for the fall shows.
Back to turkey time y,all
Old 11-28-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Happy Thanksgiving I also like Smackdaddy happy and thankful for the Opinions that are not the same. Brent and Bob both of you have a great turkey day. I have had more than a few good moments reading both of your comments.
I have a Question for each of you. Brent,Bob Since Insulation is needed if you wish to have a dry boat that is comfortable. How difficult would it be to make the boat (unsinkable) style Ranger bass boats ?? Titanic, a trident sub. My point anything can go to the bottom.
Next since the condensation is making water could a water maker/ filter take advantage of this. Would this water contain far less salt to start with ? Is the cost and amount that could be generated just not worth exploring.
Good Day, Lou
Old 11-28-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Lou take a look at the etap line. A Belgian builder that just went under last year I believe. Still see a lot of their boats around.especially a 39' ' version. They developed a 46 but I never saw one.maybe Paulo knows more about them.
The Following User Says Thank You to outbound For This Useful Post:
Lou452 (11-28-2013)
Old 11-28-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Cas:
Yes, I would have lots of advice on how to do a handsome fishboat conversion but the advice would come in the form of drawings that could be evaluated and revised as necessary until everyone was happy. Then we would proceed with some mock up work maybe, based upon the drawings. Then off to the build drawings in hand. Drawings would be present at every step of the way. This process has served me very well, obviously.

I'm not going to get in a silly parsing of words pissing match with you. I know a lot of yacht designers. I am friends with a lot of yacht designers. We all work from drawings. I think you can design standing on the beach and sawing up wood and screwing it together. I think you can design working from a small scale model or set of models. I think there are a lot of ways you can "design". Maybe if Brent was a more proficient "designer" or employed more tried and proven methods for preparing a "design" his deck structures would not look so consistantly awkward. And "awkward" is the nicest thing I can say. From time to time a see a decent deck on one of Brent's hull but I'm certain that reflects the builder's skill and eye and certainly not anything I would call "design help" from Brent.

I think if you do a quick survey of the history of design going back to Leonardo da Vinci and Michael Angelo up through the more modern great architects, Capability Brown, Chrostopher Wren, Frank Lloyd Wright and Frank Gehry you will find that drawings have always been involved. I'm sure you would like to imagine I invented drawings as a part of the design process but you'd be very wrong.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 11-28-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2013
grumpy old man

Out:
Work ( drawings) is coming along nicely. I have to take Phil's sketches and convert them into working drawings ( there are those pesky drawings again) but we are still working in the preliminary drawing ( damn! again with the drawings) phase and have a few important elements to iron out. Phil is good to work with and receptive to my deas.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 11-28-2013
grumpy old man

I see a problem on my drawing. Damned acad. See if you can pick it up.

There, I fixed it. You see I am proud of my design drawings. All of the great designers I mentioned were master draftsmen.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 11-28-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-28-2013
grumpy old man

Happy Thanksgiving all of you guys.

Bob's Blog ....