Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Jak:
That has been my point all along. With the exact same materials and same amount of time cutting and welding, armed witha decent set of plans the home builder can build a good looking boat. But if the plans are lacking in detail and care you will have no idea what shapes will arise. If the designer wants to control the design elelemnts of the boat he MUST design!
And all that detailing is more work, ergo, more expensive BUT it is money well spent because it saves you money in the end.You are not standing around scratching yer bum thinking ,'what the hell is he trying say here' you know what you need from the git go and can schedual your work.A fully detailed set of well drawn plans will give you an education in construction.Well, I am going sailing today on a plastic I36,I know I am taking my life in my hands,we might hit some drift wood,get dive bombed by gulls or attacked by sea lions or run down by a frieghter full of chinese steal.Pray for me;-)
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Jak,

sounds as good as me, only my sons will be pulling me up the mast!!!!! hmmmmmm.......I wonder if that is safe. they have the same wacked out sense o humour I do. I could get left up there. dropped for my life insurance......hmmmmmmmmmmm.........

Marty
jak3b likes this.
Old 11-30-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

About that carbon footprint for BS'ers...

From BS's site:

Melting sheet led for the keel.

If you simply buy a used FG boat, not only will you save years and years of work, and be sailing instead of smelting, you will absolutely do FAR less damage to the planet than if you do what Brent tells you you should do. Period. End of story.

Please recycle. For the children.

(Which of the above would you rather hang out with?)
jak3b likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-30-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-30-2013

casioqv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The ones that built the boats are builders the ones that sail them are sailors and if a builder can be a good sailor most of the best sailors in the world have never built a boat.
I was talking about a different set of of skills than you learn just sailing a boat: intimate technical knowledge about how the boat is constructed, and in general how boats are constructed. For example hours at sea won't teach you about how different materials corrode and how to prevent this, or how to calculate the stresses on standing rigging and choose proper angles. This helps you to prepare the boat to be reliable, and to jury rig a solution when something fails at sea.

This isn't knowledge you get from sailing boats, but from building and repairing them. When the **** hits the fan, you need to be an engineer, a craftsman, and a sailor. Only the latter comes from sea experience.
Brent Swain likes this.

Last edited by casioqv; 11-30-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-30-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
I was talking about a different set of of skills than you learn just sailing a boat: intimate technical knowledge about how the boat is constructed, and in general how boats are constructed. For example hours at sea won't teach you about how different materials corrode and how to prevent this, or how to calculate the stresses on standing rigging and choose proper angles. This helps you to prepare the boat to be reliable, and to jury rig a solution when something fails at sea.

This isn't knowledge you get from sailing boats, but from building and repairing them. When the **** hits the fan, you need to be an engineer, a craftsman, and a sailor. Only the latter comes from sea experience.
For the type of sailing 98% of us will ever do (e.g. - coastal, island hops, 3-5 day runs, etc.) - this approach is WAY overkill.

Calculate stresses on standing rigging? Seriously?

I agree that ingenuity and handiness with tools is essential for longer runs, but I think you're a bit too worried about poop-spewing-fans.

Old 11-30-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Not to mention Fukashima debris.

I'm going to call my next band Fukashima Debris.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 11-30-2013
Last Man Standing

Oh - this has got to hurt, Brent. One of your biggest sailing stars is going back to plastic after sailing your steeler for years?????

Quote:
silascrosby: Paul , don't laugh, but the plan is to get an F-27 folding tri once Silas Crosby is sold.

In the winter it can go in the garden on a trailer, or we can zip down to Baja by road and cruise the Sea of Cortez, or by trailer to Homer,Ak and explore the Alaska Peninsula some more. Actually what I'm really excited about is trying to go to Haida Gwaii, N coast of BC, and the West Coast of V.I. on such a craft. I can see that a smaller Jordan drogue used carefully could really extend the abilities of such a marginal sea-going vessel. Plus, what a gas to sail.
I'll have to consult with Brent about a REALLY compact wood heater

Of course I still would get the shallow water and beaching abilities, with a little more care and consideration than on my present boat.

However ,yes, it means saying good-bye for the time being to big open ocean scenarios. No regrets so far.

Gotta have a plan,right?
I guess he finally saw the light. He's obviously a very smart man who cares about the planet.

Thanks for encouraging me to look into your forum a bit more. It is indeed very helpful in proving my points.

Old 11-30-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Oh - this has got to hurt, Brent. One of your biggest sailing stars is going back to plastic after sailing your steeler for years?????

I guess he finally saw the light. He's obviously a very smart man who cares about the planet.

Thanks for encouraging me to look into your forum a bit more. It is indeed very helpful in proving my points.
But... But.... you mean he's prepared to risk hitting all that Fukishima debris at 17 knots in a flimsy GRP craft???
smackdaddy likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-30-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
But... But.... you mean he's prepared to risk hitting all that Fukishima debris at 17 knots in a flimsy GRP craft???
It'll be interesting to see how much he gets for this boat. He started out at $73K and has come down to $63K from what I've seen. The resale value of this boat (the star in the BS lineup) will be very telling. I'm betting sub $50K (bummer for the owner Steve if that holds).

Even so, if someone really, really wants a BS boat - it makes MUCH more sense on EVERY level to buy a used one like the Silas than build a new one.

Old 11-30-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I'm betting VERY sub-$50K. In the current local market I think he'd be doing very well to get $30K. Currently there are lots of good quality "fragile" glass boats over 40' - Frasers, Philbrooks etc. ASKING $40K or less. I know of a Reliance 44 that has been around, eastabout, that needs little more than stores to go again. This is a big, solid, fully outfitted offshore boat and they can't get $90K for it. There is a Seamaid 45 that has done the Pacific circuit, ASKING $85k.

These boats have all been on the market for quite a long time - years in some cases so I sure can't see a price in that range for a Brentboat, even the best known one.

P.S. Haida Gwaii on an F27? I don't think so! Maybe if they ferried it to the islands and day sailed up there. Even that though.... VERY wet & cold & stormy up there.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 11-30-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.