I don't agree that a big offshore well designed multihull is less seaworthy than a monohull.
Nor I providing it's well sailed....
..........You mean that in all those boats you see on that area of yours you don't see a single modern boat, I mean contemporary designs? They are all old designed heavy boats?
I said 70% were heavier designs. That leaves 30% as lighter boats, of those boats few sail across the Tasman but are used more for coastal cruising and racing.
My wife and I have two sailboats, a 45 foot performance cruiser ( Adams 45) that's great for coastal sailing, does 8 knots without being pushed too hard, has a fin keel, skeg rudder and is a real joy to sail. But she exceeds my limits for motion sickness in heavy weather offshore and renders many of the crew I've had pretty miserable if it blows a bit.
My wife isn't keen to go offshore on her anymore as the motion sends her to her bunk for days of rough weather as it did another female friend the entire trip from Auckland to Fiji. So we decided to get a heavier boat and a bigger boat with more comforts for an ageing lady aboard a sailboat
Our other boat acquired two years ago later is a much heavier both by weight and by ratios, steel ketch, it's a bit longer at 52' LWL ( a more recent Pugh design) that performs about the same, that's significant, it's a dog relatively but it's no slower than the other boat and it is a real home to be aboard long term, it's also surprisingly easy to sail and so much more comfortable in heavy weather I'm happy with it but my wife is ecstatic.
I still prefer to sail the lighter boat. Its exciting
Where do you base your boat? Portugal has an exposed west coast and I experienced a westerly gale off Lisbon a few years ago. Nice hassle free anchorage at Faro but Lisbon is a bit busy.