Like Tree1632Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Wow TQ. That is definitely well documented!

The timeline sounds about right. What is ironic is this statement at the very beginning:

It ain't always as promised eh?

So do you want to build a steel boat for the next X years? Or do you want to sail?
The really really sad thing is if you look at their voyage log it seems that they only made a short offshore passage, got hit by some bad weather and gave up on the sailing lark.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I once had an Oregon farmer build a beautifull, multi chine version of a center cockpit Norseman 447. I made some improvements to the design and he built it single handed. It was a work of art. He sailed boat for many years before selling it. Side by side with a grp Norseman you would be hard pressed to tell which one was the alu boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
The really really sad thing is if you look at their voyage log it seems that they only made a short offshore passage, got hit by some bad weather and gave up on the sailing lark.
Oooh - I hadn't gotten that far. So, you choose a steel boat to withstand heavy weather. Then you chuck it when you run into heavy weather?

That was apparently a very misinformed "dream".

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-22-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-22-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I once had an Oregon farmer build a beautifull, multi chine version of a center cockpit Norseman 447. I made some improvements to the design and he built it single handed. It was a work of art. He sailed boat for many years before selling it. Side by side with a grp Norseman you would be hard pressed to tell which one was the alu boat.
Drool. The N447 is one seriously handsome boat.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-22-2013
grumpy old man

Yeah, this guy, Lanny Crocker, started buying land when he was a kid and ended up with a very serious farm. But he told me the secret was being able to do all the work yourself so he was a master of many trades. He was a magician with aluminum. You want a stuffing box? Lanny could build a stuffing box. "I have dozens of them on the farm." In many ways he was the ultimate BS builder except for the fact he had an eye for good design and he could sail. I think it took him three years to finish the boat.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 07-23-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

The Norseman 44 & 447 AC is way up my list of favourites. I, myself, personally think it has the best looking cabin structure you have ever designed. That picklefork effect at the mast was a stroke of brilliance IMHO - traps dropped handles and so forth, increases headroom below, looks dramatic etc. etc.

I always wondered if you were influenced at all by the "bin" setup on the Tartan 41 deck.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-23-2013
grumpy old man

Jon:
Believe it or not the deck design of the Norseman was one of those breakfast restaurant napkin sketches I did when having my first meeting with the client. I think I am the very first designer to use pickle forks to hide deck contours and I see them all the time today on mega yachts. I also agree that it is probably the absolute best looking CC deck on any boat under 50'. Sometimes you hit a home run.

I ran into Bill Dixon at the Ta Yang engineering office. He was drawing away and next to his drawing was my drawing of the N447 deck. I was pissed off at him anyway because he had snagged the Taswel line( because he gave Ta Yang an exclusive) so I said to him." What are you doing Dixon?" He said, "I'm making the deck look more like the Norseman deck." He was honest. I said, "Come on Dixon. We are going to lunch. I'll teach you how to eat too." That is pretty much verbatim. He was hopeless with chopsticks. Food everywhere. Disgusting.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 07-23-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Lowfan guai lo.:-)
Old 07-23-2013
grumpy old man

That's Cantonese.
"Lowfan" old rice?

Bob's Blog ....

Old 07-23-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Very few CCs come close to the 447. Interesting about Bill Dixon .... I remmber being anchored next to a Taswell a few years back and thinking how much she reminded me of the 447.

I still do not get the segmented dinette. I know it would work for a bunch of people sitting around but I am obsessed with being able to lie down. I don't even like the curved settee backs on our Malo, indeed I'm getting ready to re do them.

Aft cockpit 447 is even droolier than the CC imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Jon:
Believe it or not the deck design of the Norseman was one of those breakfast restaurant napkin sketches I did when having my first meeting with the client. I think I am the very first designer to use pickle forks to hide deck contours and I see them all the time today on mega yachts. I also agree that it is probably the absolute best looking CC deck on any boat under 50'. Sometimes you hit a home run.

I ran into Bill Dixon at the Ta Yang engineering office. He was drawing away and next to his drawing was my drawing of the N447 deck. I was pissed off at him anyway because he had snagged the Taswel line( because he gave Ta Yang an exclusive) so I said to him." What are you doing Dixon?" He said, "I'm making the deck look more like the Norseman deck." He was honest. I said, "Come on Dixon. We are going to lunch. I'll teach you how to eat too." That is pretty much verbatim. He was hopeless with chopsticks. Food everywhere. Disgusting.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett