Like Tree1723Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

"To remain at the top of the crop (and there are many crops)"

It very well could be Paulo that there are some sailors with no interest at all in staying at the "top of the crop". Perthaps they are perfectly happy with exactly what they have as it suits their style of sailing very well.

Grasshopper:
The continual search for something "better" can lead to unhappiness.

From my book THE ZEN BUDDHIST APPROACH TO YACHTING.
copacabana and outbound like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
... But to my eye, and that's the only eye I care about, there is a sameness to them. Hulls are almost all identical in general form. ...there is definetely a sameness to these boats. But I suspect you don't see it. ...I find the boats you post almost all very good looking but I am getting a bit bored by the similarities. On the positive side I could say it this way, "They are all equally exciting and all equally good looking."
I don't see any "argument" here. You have your preferences and I have mine. Your preferences are right for you but they are not right for me. Outbound looks at yachting through his own life experinecs and he has his own preferences. They work well for him. They won't work for you. They are not right and they are not wrong they are just his. It's all good and heaven forbid we ever live in a one size fits all world....
These are not about mine or your preferences but about what sailors that have the money to buy new boats want. There is a reason for American boats with the exception of J boats (that is a very European type of boat) not selling almost any boat in Europe and European boats to sell considerable more than American boats in the US.

This is the preference that matter, the one of the sailors.

I find really odd you cannot find differences on those hulls, there are there beamy hulls and relatively moderate hulls, planning hulls and semi-planning hulls and very different types of boats with different aesthetics. Really the one thing they have in common is that they are modern, meaning not sharing any similitude with classic or traditional boats. Maybe you consider all modern boats to be very similar

Regards

Paulo

Old 12-07-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Well Paulo, I'm new to all this. What would I know?

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 12-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Well said, both of you..

I really appreciate Paulo's 'interesting sailboats' thread for the eye-opening differences between NA and Euro markets, buyers' desires, builders outlooks and practices. It is a shame that there isn't more diversity in the NA market, but it is what it is.

I too find a 'sameness' in those rather spectacular examples posted by Paulo, much like today it's hard to look at a vehicle and 'know' who made it without seeing the badging.

Still, at the gut level I much prefer, (and would probably buy, had I the resources) boats with interiors more like the Passports than the recent Euro crop.. fully understanding that that's at odds with a lightweight, performance boat that I'd appreciate on other levels. I'd love to be the first to import a Salona, for example (but even then, likely a slightly older one with a closer-to-traditional finish below).

Faster in what regards European offer there is for all tastes. Maybe I had just posted what I find the better design in what regards an "avantgarde" but you can find less "modern" designs even if only in what regards the looks because the performance is not compromised. I bet this one will make your style:

I would not mind to have one either.

Regards

Paulo
Faster likes this.

Old 12-07-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

Nice boat. He's sitting at the wrong wheel, though....

I bet it gets noisy at the dock sometimes...
Still... what is it, Paulo?

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Last edited by djodenda; 12-07-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Well Paulo, I'm new to all this. What would I know?
Bob you are a great designer and I am quite sure you can design any kind of boat but on the last years you have been designing one offs. Those regards what a particular sailor want and normally a sailor with very particular taste, otherwise he could find what he wanted, in a less expensive way, on the big market offer of production boats.

If you were hired by any major brand to design a production boat to be sold in great numbers you would have to design a boat that would appeal to the greater number of sailors. You would have to maximize performance, interior space and design a type of boat that would not be too expensive to build.

If your design was a successful one (in sales) it would not be that different regarding the many offers the production market has. The competition is huge and the production shipyards hire many of the best and more creative world's Na and there is a reason why the designs seem to you a lot alike: They follow the desires and tastes of the majority of sailors that have the money to buy those boats, otherwise they don't sell and the shipyard will go bankrupt. That has happened frequently on the last years and a lot more regarding conservative shipyards.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-07-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Faster in what regards European offer there is for all tastes. Maybe I had just posted what I find the better design in what regards an "avantgarde" but you can find less "modern" designs even if only in what regards the looks because the performance is not compromised. I bet this one will make your style:

I would not mind to have one either.

Regards

Paulo
Yes... that'll do just fine!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-07-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

You are correct of course Paulo - the marketplace is pretty harsh about weeding out anything that doesn't have wide appeal.

The comment Faster made about cars is apropos though - even enthusiasts have to read the badges now in most cases to tell them apart. The same is happening to boats. Bill Garden once referred to "The vast fleets of white, triangular me-too's". And that was when there was still some variety in boats.

It isn't a change for the better IMO. It wouldn't have been quite so bad if it had happened when boats were still good looking but it's a shame that design (or styling at least) has become fixed at a point when performance boats are generally so ugly and soulless.
Brent Swain likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post
Nice boat. He's sitting at the wrong wheel, though....

I bet it gets noisy at the dock sometimes...
Still... what is it, Paulo?
You are right Now they are seated on the right side

It's an Arcona 410. Looks almost classical on the design, but look at the hull: No compromise here. This boat will be able to cruise fast and comfortably but for the ones that will race it at club racing they will get a top performance.

Old 12-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
It isn't a change for the better IMO. It wouldn't have been quite so bad if it had happened when boats were still good looking but it's a shame that design (or styling at least) has become fixed at a point when performance boats are generally so ugly and soulless.
Fact is that what most sailors find more beautiful is the shape of a racing boat. I read some time ago a major NA article about the shapes of cruising boats being heavily influenced by the ones of the racing boats (not only now) and not only for a question of performance but because most sailors associate beauty with the shapes that give speed in a sailboat.

Regards

Paulo

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.