LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
That's Cantonese.
"Lowfan" old rice?
Yup, cantonese.It might literaly mean that but it is useally referring to someone caucasion,uncouth,barbaric, a slob, and gwai lo a white ghost
Sometimes used together but not often.
Old 07-24-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

The trick to using chopsticks, if you simply can't learn to handle them, is to not split them apart - use them as tweezers instead.

Of course if you've been given good individual chopsticks you better have a rubber band handy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-24-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jon:
Believe it or not the deck design of the Norseman was one of those breakfast restaurant napkin sketches I did when having my first meeting with the client. I think I am the very first designer to use pickle forks to hide deck contours and I see them all the time today on mega yachts. I also agree that it is probably the absolute best looking CC deck on any boat under 50'. Sometimes you hit a home run.

I ran into Bill Dixon at the Ta Yang engineering office. He was drawing away and next to his drawing was my drawing of the N447 deck. I was pissed off at him anyway because he had snagged the Taswel line( because he gave Ta Yang an exclusive) so I said to him." What are you doing Dixon?" He said, "I'm making the deck look more like the Norseman deck." He was honest. I said, "Come on Dixon. We are going to lunch. I'll teach you how to eat too." That is pretty much verbatim. He was hopeless with chopsticks. Food everywhere. Disgusting.
This is a great thread, have read every single post but entirely in lurking mode.

But now I have to ask: what is a 'pickle fork?' Sorry for my ignorance.
Old 07-24-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Mast:
When I designed the Norseman they asked for basically the same kind of boat as I had design for the Lafitte group, the Lafitte 44. This meant a flush deck forward. No problem. OK, one small problem, headroom under the flush deck. I did not want copious freeboard. I designed a bubble to be superimposed upon the nornam deck camber forward of the short cabin trunk. This bubble, something I had seen oin older C&C designs, was effective but I was keen on the profile of it, a bit nebulous. So I extended two "prongs forward from the edges of the cabin trunk, that were tapered and high enough to hide the profile of the bubble. Somebody called these prongs "pickle forks". Maybe it was me. I dont recall. I searched my pic files but I do not have a digitized pic of a Norseman. I'm one of the clever chaps on this forum can come up with one.

I used the volume in the prongs for line bins and to form the boxes for Dorade vents in the forward end of the pickle fork. Unfortunately the volume in the end of the fork was inadequate and they did not work well. My bad.

Al Mason showed up at my ofice one day unannounced. I was honored. He had some questions about what I provided to the builders in Taiwan to guide them through the building of a deck plug. I showed him several of my deck lines drawings. While basking in the glow of having Al Mason ask me for advice I said I had a question for him. I wanted to know how much volume to put in a Dorade box. I knew he had worked at S&S and they don't guess at S&S, I thought. Al said, "Just draw it so it looks right. Then make it twice that big." Those were his exact words.

Al died about six months later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 07-24-2013
grumpy old man

Jak:
I was visiting the yard in Xiamen, China. I went out one night and found myself in a packed club with a pretty elaborate stage show featuring various acts. One act was a solo girl singer who played guitar and sang in her version of English. When she finished I went over and talked to her in my very best Mandarin. She spoke equivalent English. I told her I played. She asked if I wanted to play. Not being a solo artist of any color I said no thanks and went back to my tiny round table. A half hour later I felt a tapping on my shoulder. It was the girl singer, "It's your time." Shitski! But I thought, "What the hell. Nobody here knows me. I might as well give it a shot." She handed me her guitar and I went up on stage. The MC introduced me as "Low Bie". I didn't think much about it. I played some John Lee Hooker type guitar riffs for a while then people started yelling "Sing!" Double shitski. I'm not really a singer except when I am drunk and I wasn't drunk. So I sung PONCHO AND LEFTY I got a huge round of applause and returned to my little table which now was covered in new beers. Back in the condo later I puzzled over the "Low Bie" and I called one of the Chinese yard guys I knew. He said I had been introduced as "Old White"". He thought it was a bit of an insult. I thought it was cool. I had a "blues name". Old White.

The next night I took my client to the same club and I played again. It took my client by surprise. He said, "I didn't know you could do that." I said, "Me either."

My next trip I was prepared and I was ready to explain the story of PONCHO and LEFTY in Mandarin. The club was gone.
killarney_sailor and jak3b like this.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 07-24-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-24-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mast:
When I designed the Norseman they asked for basically the same kind of boat as I had design for the Lafitte group, the Lafitte 44. This meant a flush deck forward. No problem. OK, one small problem, headroom under the flush deck. I did not want copious freeboard. I designed a bubble to be superimposed upon the nornam deck camber forward of the short cabin trunk. This bubble, something I had seen oin older C&C designs, was effective but I was keen on the profile of it, a bit nebulous. So I extended two "prongs forward from the edges of the cabin trunk, that were tapered and high enough to hide the profile of the bubble. Somebody called these prongs "pickle forks". Maybe it was me. I dont recall. I searched my pic files but I do not have a digitized pic of a Norseman. I'm one of the clever chaps on this forum can come up with one.

I used the volume in the prongs for line bins and to form the boxes for Dorade vents in the forward end of the pickle fork. Unfortunately the volume in the end of the fork was inadequate and they did not work well. My bad.

Al Mason showed up at my ofice one day unannounced. I was honored. He had some questions about what I provided to the builders in Taiwan to guide them through the building of a deck plug. I showed him several of my deck lines drawings. While basking in the glow of having Al Mason ask me for advice I said I had a question for him. I wanted to know how much volume to put in a Dorade box. I knew he had worked at S&S and they don't guess at S&S, I thought. Al said, "Just draw it so it looks right. Then make it twice that big." Those were his exact words.

Thank you, Bob.
Old 07-24-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:

You know you have arrived when.....

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-24-2013
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Jak:
I was visiting the yard in Xiamen, China. I went out one night and found myself in a packed club with a pretty elaborate stage show featuring various acts. One act was a solo girl singer who played guitar and sang in her version of English. When she finished I went over and talked to her in my very best Mandarin. She spoke equivalent English. I told her I played. She asked if I wanted to play. Not being a solo artist of any color I said no thanks and went back to my tiny round table. A half hour later I felt a tapping on my shoulder. It was the girl singer, "It's your time." Shitski! But I thought, "What the hell. Nobody here knows me. I might as well give it a shot." She handed me her guitar and I went up on stage. The MC introduced me as "Low Bie". I didn't think much about it. I played some John Lee Hooker type guitar riffs for a while then people started yelling "Sing!" Double shitski. I'm not really a singer except when I am drunk and I wasn't drunk. So I sung PONCHO AND LEFTY I got a huge round of applause and returned to my little table which now was covered in new beers. Back in the condo later I puzzled over the "Low Bie" and I called one of the Chinese yard guys I knew. He said I had been introduced as "Old White"". He thought it was a bit of an insult. I thought it was cool. I had a "blues name". Old White.

The next night I took my client to the same club and I played again. It took my client by surprise. He said, "I didn't know you could do that." I said, "Me either."

My next trip I was prepared and I was ready to explain the story of PONCHO and LEFTY in Mandarin. The club was gone.
Judging by how crazy the Chinese seem to be for Karaoke I don't think anyone with even minimal talent should be afraid to get up on a Chinese stage.

Old 07-24-2013
grumpy old man

Jon:
That's kind of what I figured and I sure as hell wasn't going to insult them by not singing. I chose to insult them by singing.
SloopJonB likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 07-24-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jon:
That's kind of what I figured and I sure as hell wasn't going to insult them by not singing. I chose to insult them by singing.
Thats great!. I have spent some time in in SE Asia.They LOVE karaoke everywhere I went.I cant sing to save me life.But I was at a karaoke club and my friends wouldnt let me off the hook, I wasnt drunk either so I sang a Thai song by Carabao.The screen had the closest equivelent in english.They gave me a big applause and we had lots of laughs.Everybody sings, that seems to be the idea.The little Cantonese I know I picked up here in San Francisco.
Closed Thread