Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1642Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

I just supervised another 36 being pulled together. Great to watch youngsters doing all the climbing and lifting, and not getting my hands dirty. All three have a natural knack for steel working, and all three will be qualified to build my designs, etc, so I can sluff all my work off on them, and go cruising on my pension instead.
Old 12-20-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Why are we calling the late Wolfenzee did he pass on ? Did he just stop posting.
Good Day, Lou
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Lou:
Wolf died suddenly about 6 mos ago.

Brent:
No problem. It's a very effective product.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 12-20-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
There is no way I would trust an artist to duplicate what I have drawn. I can draw 3D sketches of my boats all day long. I need 3D work that can be used for true evaluatiuon of the details in the design. I want a model that will reflect a ,5" change in cabin top camber or a 1" change in cabin top crown profile. I want accuracy so I can fine tune. With the 3D model completed we turn it back into a 2D drawings that can be overlaid over the starting drawings to make sure we have not strayed from the initial design targets. I don't want a pretty cabin trunk to find out I have lost 2" of headroom. When the fine tuning is done the 3D model is used for CNC tooling and that way I can be assurred that the tooling built is exactlly conforming to what I have drawn. This is all way beyond the capability of even the best artists. It's a nice idea but you can't drop a painting off at the CNC shop and say "Call when when the tooling is done."

Of course a beautiful painting can look very nice. But our 3D work isn't too shabby. If an owner wants some art I'll get Scott Chambers to carve him a half model.

My first boat had a toe rail which looked exactly like that one. What a huge pain in the ass, and waste of time. Never did that again.
Old 12-20-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
Why are we calling the late Wolfenzee did he pass on ? Did he just stop posting.
Good Day, Lou
Wolf was an interesting character. He lived on an old wooden boat that he cherished madly and was fixing up with the hopes of sailing her from Port Townsend to Califonia and finding work. He had a number of medical issues and he was found DOA due to one of them at his pretty young age. R i p wolfenzee...dammit

He was at the center of a long dialogue on traditional boat design that led to an expercise where that started with the design and displacement of his boat. With Bob Perry's guidance and sage advice, and my fingers doing the drafting, the exercise showed how small tweaks could be done to improve the sailing ability of his boat without changing the hull much but modernizing the rig, rudder, and keel.

Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Then the same displacement was used to create a similar sized but more modern cruiser.

Lastly, we took the same displacement and drew up a boat that would be reasonably modern and would be a boat that I personally would like to own.

May David (Wolfenzee) rest in peace, or at least sail through a heavenly place where old luggers are faster than anything else they encounter,

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 12-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Classic:
I don't have an easy answer for that.
My experience has been that those who need initials after their name to say what they can do cannot prove it any other way. I don't need to see initials afer a name. I need to see design work. I have been surrounded by this my entire professional carreer.

Does Bruce Farr put any initials after his name? Does Ron Holland?. Does Doug Peterson? Does Chuck Paine? Does Yves -Martie Tanton? Does Bruce King? Does Peter Melvin? Does Juan K? Does Mark Miills? Give me a phouquing break.
What a contrast with this discussion on BD.net On that site, Mike Johns ,Troy and the rest of the heckler pack, supported the claim that no one without letters after his name should be allowed to design boats, law enforced by an army of government bureaucrats armed with piles of law books. That would exclude most of the best designers of our time, and far back in history.
I was told that if I didn't put the qualifiers at the end of my posts, I wouldn't be allowed to post here, the same way Bob got the grumpy old man title. It was not my idea. Someone else came up with it.
Old 12-20-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Just saw the post about Wolf . He was nice to me, welcomed me to sailnet spent a lot of time on the full keel vs fin keel , A true sailor.
Peaceful wishes, Lou
Old 12-20-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
What a contrast with this discussion on BD.net On that site, Mike Johns ,Troy and the rest of the heckler pack, supported the claim that no one without letters after his name should be allowed to design boats, law enforced by an army of government bureaucrats armed with piles of law books. That would exclude most of the best designers of our time, and far back in history.
I was told that if I didn't put the qualifiers at the end of my posts, I wouldn't be allowed to post here, the same way Bob got the grumpy old man title. It was not my idea. Someone else came up with it.
What a joke. Olin Stephens would not be allowed to design boats.

Can anyone name a SINGLE top yacht designer who has or had a degree in NA or engineering?

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-20-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Nelson of Nelson/Marek has a degree.
Gary Mull had a degree.
Alan Andrews has a degree, I think.

Bob Perry G.O.M.

Brent:
Got the same memo. As a person in the business I was told I had to identify myself as such.
Apparently G.O.M just wasn't enough.

"My first boat had a toe rail which looked exactly like that one. What a huge pain in the ass, and waste of time. Never did that again. "'
Brent, you still don't get it. Read slowly this time:
This is not a boat for you.
This is a boat for my client.
My client has lots of money he does not do his own maintenence. His current Hinckley is immaculate.
My client could care a less what you like. He lives in a very different world than the one you live in.
My client likes beautiful yachts.
You do not do beautiful yachts. You build aesthetically challenged steel boats for people who don't care about beautiful yachts.
smackdaddy likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 12-20-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-20-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
When a doctor in the 1840s suggested that maybe doctors should wash their hands after handling corpses, before aiding delivery of babies, he was attacked, sarcastically ridiculed, heckled and condemned for the rest of his life . At that time babies born in hospitals had over 20 times the death rate of those born out in the country side. Had Mike and Smack been living in that time , they would have been among the hecklers .
Early scientists were condemned and threatened with death when they suggested that the earth was not the centre of the universe. Columbus was sarcastically heckled and ridiculed when he suggested the earth was round and not flat. Mike and Smack would have been among the sarcastic hecklers, had they been alive in that time.
The list goes on ( Guttenburg we hate your type, Ben Franklin go fly a kite, etc.)
Had humanity listened to such luddite morons, we would still be in the stone age. All human progress in any field required ignoring such throwbacks. Thank god many did!
Brent, I would never heckle guys like Ignaz Semmelweis, Eratosthenes (not Columbus - you're confusing him with Magellan - but even that's not correct in your example), Gutenberg (not Guttenburg), Franklin, or even Dr. Roger Bacon. Those guys were all enlightened geniuses.

I only heckle luddite morons who continually claim to be enlightened geniuses.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-20-2013 at 09:24 PM.