Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1642Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
When I sold my last boat in 1987, boats were selling a lot more quickly than they are today, for a lot more money. According to an article I read in Pacific Yachting at the time, the average time it took back then to sell a sailboat was 2 years. That's roughly how long it took me to sell mine, to a guy who has since built his second brentboat ,and crossed the Pacific twice in her.
Now they are giving away plastic boats, and grinding them up to make concrete reinforcement. A friend was offered an Alberg 35 for free in Mexico.
Does that mean the standard price for an Alberg is now zero? A guy on Lasquetti Island was given a good Rawson 30 for free. Does that mean, from this point on ,the value of a Rawson 30 is now zero?
Winston l told me that there is no way he is giving his boat away. He said $47 K period .If no one will give me that, then my daughter will inherit her. I just that he has sold her, to a California couple ,for $47K.
Steve ,get a grip! You have just bought your second sailing version of an Edsel. You are definitely not a good source of boat buying advice.
So the "our welds" thing was just more dishonesty. Okay, I get it.

Your friends seem to tell you a lot of things that end up being untrue. The ad for Dove II said $20K. Deal with it. And if you're talking about Dove IV - the $47K is down from almost $60K he was asking a few months ago...and far less than he actually has into it money-wise (not even to mention time-wise).

So, yet again, your repeated claims that your boats hold their value is flat wrong. Building a Brent Boat is clearly just about the worst investment of time and money one could possibly make. That just the truth as shown by the market.

I'll keep enjoying my Edsel while you keep trying to find more suckers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Well, customers must not mind the leaky plywood since this one is going for $80K:

Sea J II

And the far superior Dove II can't find a buyer at $20K. Oh the humanity.

Based on the numbers, I'd call that a significant downgrade.
A lot of Edsels were sold too. How is yours running, Steve? Must have been a great car, according to your theory! Is that why the last two boats you have bought have been the sailing equivalent to Edsels?
A plywood boat better than a steel one? Ya sure Steve!
Try tell my clients that. Especially the offshore experienced ones.They would fall over laughing.

The number of humans who think for themselves, is clearly a small percentage of the total. Most just follow!

Last edited by Brent Swain; 01-02-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-02-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
A lot of Edsels were sold too. How is yours running, Steve? Must have been a great car, according to your theory! Is that why the last two boats you have bought have been the sailing equivalent to Edsels?
A plywood boat better than a steel one? Ya sure Steve!
Try tell my clients that. Especially the offshore experienced ones.They would fall over laughing.

The number of humans who think for themselves, is clearly a small percentage of the total. Most just follow!
Well, let's see...I suppose I have a choice (as always):

1. Follow the advancements of the best boat designers in the world and choose my own boat from the myriad modern choices out there - and be able to immediately sail and eventually recoup a good portion of my initial investment.
2. Follow the ravings of a bitter, less-than-honest old dude in an antiquated floating steel bunker who insists you have to have a steel bunker like his to be happy - and lose years of my life breathing welding fumes from planet-raping steel then lose my shirt when I have to give the thing away because no one wants it.

Hmmm. I'll take Door Number One.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-02-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-02-2014

Quote:
So the "our welds" thing was just more dishonesty. Okay, I get it.

Your friends seem to tell you a lot of things that end up being untrue. The ad for Dove II said $20K. Deal with it. And if you're talking about Dove IV - the $47K is down from almost $60K he was asking a few months ago...and far less than he actually has into it money-wise (not even to mention time-wise).

So, yet again, your repeated claims that your boats hold their value is flat wrong. Building a Brent Boat is clearly just about the worst investment of time and money one could possibly make. That just the truth as shown by the market.

I'll keep enjoying my Edsel while you keep trying to find more suckers.
Winston told me last summer he had $35 K into Dove IV. He had $17 K in Dove 2 by the time he headed for Hawaii in her. That is far more than any of my boats has ever cost me. He sold her for $65K . Jack Carson sold his brentboat 36 after doing a circumnavigation in her, around the same time, for $65K. Shinola, another 36 I built, sold for $95 K a few years ago.
I've never owned a planet raping car, never owned a planet raping house, heated with coal generated electricity, freeways were never built for my vehicles, neither the Exon Valdes nor the Gulf oil spill were subsidised by my meagre needs.
Friends who tried living in leaky,condensation dripping plastic boats, are extremely relieved to finally get aboard the supreme comfort of their first brentboat. They tell me it is the most comfortable dwelling they have every lived in.
Don't get your information on how to get off the treadmill from someone who ha s never accomplished it, or took a lifetime to accomplish it. The rat race is designed to stop the rats from ever getting off the wheel.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 01-02-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2014
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Winston told me last summer he had $35 K into Dove IV. He had $17 K in Dove 2 by the time he headed for Hawaii in her. He sold her for $65K . Jack Carson sold his brentboat 36 after doing a circumnavigation in her, around the same time, for $65K. Shinola, another 36 I built, sold for $95 K a few years ago.
Judging by these numbers, I'm starting to think your friends think you're really gullible.

Old 01-02-2014

Quote:
Well, let's see...I suppose I have a choice (as always):

1. Follow the advancements of the best boat designers in the world and choose my own boat from the myriad modern choices out there - and be able to immediately sail and eventually recoup a good portion of my initial investment.
2. Follow the ravings of a bitter old dude in an antiquated floating steel bunker who insists you have to have a steel bunker like his to be happy - and lose years of my life breathing welding fumes from planet-raping steel then lose my shirt when I have to give the thing away because no one wants it.

Hmmm. I'll take Door Number One.
I'm a happy old dude who wouldn't change places with anyone else on the planet. Shooting down your naïve , inexperienced arguments, with hands on experience , decades of it, is like shooting ducks off a fence. Great sport!
Sold my last boat for over 4 times what she cost me, to a very happy owner who chose one of mine for his next boat. Haven't had any worry about money since.
Old 01-02-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Why not, when you're getting a virtually free ride on the backs of the rest of us?

And just by the by Brent, I very much doubt you have ever paid much (or any) GST/PST/FIT/PIT or any other taxes - I'm sure you had your steel and everything else of consequence delivered to the Res so they wouldn't apply, just like every other full or part aboriginal I've ever known.

And of course none of that stuff was delivered by planet raping trucks over planet raping roads and you've never spent a day in hospital or at the Doctor (that the rest of us paid for) - have you? Apparently you DIDN'T use the school system so that's a point in your favour.

I was born here too and I've lived here as long as you (and contributed) so spare me the deep soul "Aboriginal" bit Brent. You're about as "aboriginal" as those MaKah with their .50 Cal. harpoon guns on 300 Hp. Zodiacs and their oh so spiritual whale hunt. The fact that your grandaddy or 2nd uncle was aboriginal doesn't entitle you - it simply means you're just another mooch living off the efforts of others.

Cheez, I must be physic!

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 01-03-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-02-2014

I've paid as high a percentage of my spending on sales taxes as anyone else. If you want to talk about mooches, take a look a those making the laws giving themselves up to 52% wage rises to enhance the greed factor in order to get "Good people"into politics, and the obscenely wealthy friends they force the rest of us to subsidize.
Never built a boat on a rez.
If some one stole your inheritance , what was willed to you, I'm sure you would be content if they only gave back a small portion to you, as to give you back the works would be "Unfair".
Ya, sure you would , just as sure as if the grossly overpaid and wasteful government was offering you money, you would turn it down.
Ya, sure you would .
Man, what a crock!
Old 01-02-2014
Last Man Standing

Quote:
I'm a happy old dude who wouldn't change places with anyone else on the planet.
Well, I really hope so Brent. That would be cool.

(PS - what exactly is your percentage of Abor? My GG-Grandmother was Cherokee.)

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-02-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-03-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
If some one stole your inheritance , what was willed to you, I'm sure you would be content if they only gave back a small portion to you, as to give you back the works would be "Unfair".
The difference is - MY inheritance is what my parents built and left.

I don't regard the whole freakin' COUNTRY as "my" inheritance.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.