Like Tree1721Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Copa:
That sounds like a deal to me. No, BS has not thanked me. But he did acknowledge getting it and that's good enough for me. I don't think he was brought up taughtr to say "thanks". No problem. It takes all kinds.

It's great soap. It's the only soap I use. I also use the shaving foam. My dogs don't like the dog shampoo though.
copacabana likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 01-12-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Kind of like the two wheel thing. Seems just about all new boats have them. See the reason with wide sterns but then have two sets of linkages to screw up. Have one wheel. Try not to touch it much. When at rest take it off any way. Wife bought me a cool gift from edson. Sits attached to push pit.
Bob as always look forward to your writings.
A big fan
Old 01-12-2014
grumpy old man

Out:
All three boats this month have twin wheels.
I first sailed a twin wheel boat in 1974 when I raced the Carter 39 RABBIT. That was 40 years ago.

Thanks for the kind words.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 01-12-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
They may provide huge cockpits and big quarter berths but they also provide a large amount of wetted surface. But unfortuinately, for most wives, this is the preferred type.
I believe I fixed it for you.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-12-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
No shortage of that here.
King Halvdan the Black of Norway was royalty.
So you're a Norwegian King now? Dude, you can either claim to be an aboriginal oppressed by the Norwegians, or Norwegian royalty who proudly oppressed the aboriginals. You really can't claim both.
slap likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-12-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
So you're a Norwegian King now? Dude, you can either claim to be an aboriginal oppressed by the Norwegians, or Norwegian royalty who proudly oppressed the aboriginals. You really can't claim both.
And you claim all your ancestors came from only one country for the last 1300 years? Ya, sure they did! What a crock!
Sounds like serious inbreeding, which explains a lot.
Widening the gene pool is the best thing which ever happened to humanity. You should try it sometime!
In the Canadian constitution, aboriginal is defined as Indian , Inuit and Metis.
Old 01-13-2014

Thanks for the soap Bob. Works well. Think I may order more.
Old 01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
So Brent, are you agreeing with me that back pressure is not a problem with small diesels?
I am working my way through this. But I think there is a back pressure myth.

I hope to hell that we are not going to agree on something. I couldn't handle that.

Did you try the soap?
On my last boat the exhaust came out alongside the cockpit , and was led just below the waterline. When I was motor sailing and the boat heeled, it went much further below the waterline, with zero effect on RPM
Yes Bob ,you do get it right sometimes. You just don't understand steel or full time cruising priorities.
I stopped by a passport 47 yesterday and bought this wind generator. The stanchions were bolted to the bulwark instead of the decks, a wise move , reducing the odds of stanchion base leaks . They were, however only 31 inches high , 3 inches less than mine and 5 inches less than Smack considers adequate. Hope you don't lose any sleep over not having Smack's approval.
I certainly don't!
Welcome to the club. We have at least that much in common.
The soap's great!
Thanks!
Old 01-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJohns View Post
They have absolutely nothing similar to a boat hull. Not the shape nor the loads. Forget drink cans and gas bottles we are talking boats here.

Brent you have been told before why pressure vessels are invalid comparisons to boat hulls. Engineering isn't a belief system if you come up with an idea you have to show it's valid. Just saying something repeatedly doesn't make it a fact.

Pressure vessels are a completely different scenario in scale, shape, relative plate thickness and in the level of restraint of the ends. They are also carefully designed for their purpose that includes the end cap shapes. End cap shapes resist buckling but they bear no resemblance to the shallow curves of a boats lines.

In a metal boat hull a huge amount of reserve strength is thrown away if the plate cannot ultimately form a membrane under large strain. If you have tension of one side and compression on the other there is a large amount of material contributing very little to resist collapse. But pre-compressed tension members make this even worse and that's why your designs are so weak for the material they use and why a small amount of additional material added sensibly to your design adds a large amount of strength.

This is a long way from the marketing hype claiming extra strength with less material. Just a classic case of the emperor’s clothes.

Here's Bernard Moitessier's steel sailboat "Joshua". But Joshua was extensively transverse framed so Brent was misinformed again.

The damage at the turn of the bilge is from the plate stretching between the close transverse frames as the hull impacted on a rocky shore. You can see that where blows hit the transverses no damage occurred, where the blows struck the plate ( repeatedly) the plate has stretched between the transverses absorbing the impact energy, the transverses also limit the extent of the damage.

Stretching is significant because to stretch the plate past yield it must be in tension. You cannot develop tension without being able to develop a membrane stress by restraining the plate with supporting structure. Buckling collapse uses significantly less impact energy.

You can see how close the transverse frames are. Gringo mentioned before was also extensively transverse framed with a similar transverse frame spacing as Joshua.

Steel is immensely tough but you have to design with it properly to get it's full strength. If you want to get full tensile strength of the plate in can only develop that in TENSION !
Have you ever been to Cabo? I have, and have walked on the beach where Joshua went ashore. Not a rock in sight, only sand . Again you distort the facts to suit your argument, just as your claim that Winston's boat had extra framing and plate thickness, compared to what I had designed. That was another fabrication to support your argument. She had exactly the same structural and plate thickness I designed in her . She came home with zero dents . Had she transverse framing ,she would have been a mess of dents. Without framing to stretch against ,she simply springs back.
I met a guy named Welch, in Tonga who built a Spray in Victoria. In Hawaii she had blown aground and became severely dented between frames. The combination of framing and lighter plate was the main cause of the sever denting between frames . Your drum skin theory would require the plate to be fully welded to the frames and stringers. This I show military ships are done and you can se every frame and stringer in them from a quarter mile away, the distortion is that bad,.
So just tell the sea it is a pressure vessel, and the steel will decide to behave differently, and the sea will treat it more kindly?
Ya ,sure Mike!
Your problem in comprehending the principle, is you have a blind spot when it comes to the fact that the longitudinals are welded to the plate , fixed solid points. They are not floating free! Until you get that, you are mentally incapable of understanding the structural principles of the stiffness added by longitudinals.
Any curve stiffens and strengthens a hull. The longer the span the greater the strength it gets from the ever increasing amount of curve.
How many fibreglass boats have transverse frames in their topsides. If they did where would they crack? At the frames! How do they get their strength. Shape!
A friend bough a 35 ft Endurance fibreglass bare hull from Fraser Yachts . When he asked the owner and builder of dozens, over many decades, if he could leave out some bulkheads, the owner told him "Good idea. The only place they ever crack is at the bulkheads."
As I have pointed out ( completely over your head, it seems) you get the greatest benefit from structural running along the curve, and the least running it across the curve, in open ocean. In a hard chine boat, the curve runs longitudinally, in a round bilge boat the curve runs transversely . So for a round bilged boat in open ocean , transverse framing is best, until you hit a hard, sharp object while underway, with a forward motion, at right angles to the frame. Then when the sharp object hits the frame the frame gives the plate something to stretch and tear against, drastically increasing the odds of holing.
So tell us Mike. How many steel boats to your own design have you built ?How many have been built ? What is the greatest number of decades you have been cruising in and maintaining any one of them? Why have I never encountered one of them ? How many of my boats have you seen, either cruising or being built /
No answer means NONE!

Last edited by Brent Swain; 01-14-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2014
grumpy old man

Glad you like the soap Brent.
Still must frost you that your buddy bought the Passport.
Having your approval doesn't mean much to me. I've seen your work. I'd rather disagree with by buddy Smacker. I am not joining that club.

But now, enough talk, time for some beautiful boat reality:

The rig went in Frankie today. We solved the lifeline height question by not having any. None. Now we measure for the sails. Won't be too long till we are smoking down the Sound.

I'm a bit confused by BS's preoccupation with his ancestry. I don't care where a person comes from. I only care about what kind of person they are. If my cousin Dennis was middleweight amateur boxing champ of Sydney back in the day it sure doesn't make me a boxer.

My Grandpa was Angelo Dante Giuseppe Nanelli (Calabrese testa dura). So by BS standards I am far more Italian than he is either Norwegian or Indian. But I sure as hell don't consider myself an Italian. (I could be related to Pavarotti!) I still can't sing worth a damn. While it would be romantic to think of myself as Roberto Perri, I'm just plain Bob, a mixed breed mutt, and I'll let my work describe who and what I am and be very content with that.
smackdaddy and jak3b like this.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 01-13-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Closed Thread