Not a Member? 

Like Tree1642Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014

MikeJohns is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Have you ever been to Cabo? I have, and have walked on the beach where Joshua went ashore. Not a rock in sight, only sand . Again you distort the facts to suit your argument, just as your claim that Winston's boat had extra framing and plate thickness, compared to what I had designed. ÖÖÖ..
Brent if you were there, hadnít the hurricane stripped a lot of the sand from the beach and exposed reefs and boulders that ground up most of the boats washed ashore?
I have a cruising friend (Robert) that knew Moitessier well, Moitessier was very cavalier with Joshua with collisions and groundings thinking it was immune from damage. When Joshua went ashore he was actually in the bar and his boat was just anchored, he wrote some BS about being aboard !

As for Winston and construction, I didnít make that up the pro marine welder who inspected Winston said on BD net that she was built so. Easy to prove if you know the boat and owner so well they will have all the details.

Quote:
Your drum skin theoryÖ..ÖÖÖ..
....isnít my drum skin theory itís the accumulated knowledge and science that makes engineering and itís the theory of plates and shells that any engineer anywhere will tell you exactly the same

Quote:
Your problem in comprehending the principle, is you have a blind spot when it comes to the fact that the longitudinals are welded to the plate , fixed solid points. They are not floating free! Until you get that, you are mentally incapable of understanding the structural principles of the stiffness added by longitudinals. Ö..ÖÖÖ..
My problem adopting your engineering principles, thatís a good one from someone who claimed his boats had an AVS of 182 degrees !

I comprehend it all intuitively, thatís the problem, you donít, and I can show you that you donít, and have shown you that you donít.
And you constantly mix up diminutive steel tanks with proposed scaled up 60 foot frameless behemoths that simply wonít work. Thatís where you should be , addressing the silly claims that the design is intrinsically strong enough to scale to twice the size of the initial design you started with.

You also still havenít commented on the fact that other designs of yours rotated their keels because you misunderstood the structural adequacy. You lied when you said only the boat that tore holes after a high speed grounding suffered that fate didnít you !

Quote:
So tell us Mike. How many steel boats to your own design have you built ?How many have been built ? What is the greatest number of decades you have been cruising in and maintaining any one of them? Why have I never encountered one of them ? How many of my boats have you seen, either cruising or being built No answer means NONE!
Iíve designed more that you, mainly one off custom designs for shipyards, nothing like the variety or number of sailboats of Bob Perry here but I also design other vessels like patrol boats, ships, floating docks if anyone wantís something designed. I'm not just a yacht designer I will design yachts when pushed or starving :-).

Iíve never seen a Brent boat ever, because the 200 you claim built around the world amounted to something like under 40 if I remember rightly from Tad Roberts estimates, and the majority are in Canada, none in Tasmania or I would have done an inclining test on it by now !.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Tom:
I've never seen a BS boat either.
Funny. I have seen a lot of boats. It's a lifertime of work for me.
But no BS boats.

Guess I'm just born lucky.

Hey! How about we start a SailNet ancestry thread. I am totally confused as to what ancestry has to do with yacht design but on it's own thread I'm game.

If we had a dedicated thread I could talk about my Scottish ancestor, Bruce the Beige. Or as he is better known today, Egg Shell Bruce.

Yeah we need a special thread.
jak3b likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 01-14-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
`--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Smack, you make a habit out of crossing lines, including with my ancestry, experience, fairness, integrity, etc.,etc. How much of that do you expect me to put up with? "

So, if I understand the BS, Smackers is responsible for what you post. That is an interesting concept but it does not work. No, BS, your infantile, personal attacks are your own. You need to own them. Smackers is not responsible for what you say. You are responsible for what you say. It is going to follow you.
It's alright. I'll be the first to admit that I've been pretty hard on Brent (for good reason). But the difference is I've always used his own words...comparing what he himself was claiming in various places...and simply illustrating the dishonesty in his claims about his experience, fairness, integrity, etc. with those very words. I've not had to make anything up...unlike him.

You'll also not find where I've insulted or attacked his family/heritage/etc. - like he has done at least twice now in this thread (my family, your wife, etc.).

The guy seriously pissed me off. True. But, when I stop and think about the kind of life he's stuck in...I'd probably be bitter too. I pity him. I really do.

It was very nice of you to send him some soap Bob. You're a good man. I'll try to follow that example.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-14-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Geez Smack, if you're a Texan who can't take an insult.......

I mean really.... Texas is SUCH a sweet target of opportunity.
Brent Swain likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-15-2014

jak3b is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Tom:
I've never seen a BS boat either.
Funny. I have seen a lot of boats. It's a lifertime of work for me.
But no BS boats.

Guess I'm just born lucky.

Hey! How about we start a SailNet ancestry thread. I am totally confused as to what ancestry has to do with yacht design but on it's own thread I'm game.

If we had a dedicated thread I could talk about my Scottish ancestor, Bruce the Beige. Or as he is better known today, Egg Shell Bruce.

Yeah we need a special thread.
Well, my ancester Liam the greenish-grey,while drunk fell out of a curragh in Gallway Bay and drowned as St Brenden sailed by on his way to the west.From the astral planes he haunted Ray Hunt with visions.Am I elligable for any bennys?
Old 01-15-2014

MikeJohns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
So it seems that you just called me, my family, and others "in the South" inbred Nazis.

And you thought that crossing a line like that was okay how?

You're a sad, pathetic, little man, Brent Swain - who has nothing left in your life but bitterness and ignorance. And I would absolutely say that to your face.

I've more than proven your chronic dishonesty in this thread with your own words. And you've just proven your cowardice and stupidity by stooping this low...again, your own words.

I think my work here is done.
Yes sad and this thread has been an eye opener to the amount Brent is prepared to simply lie without any compunction whatsoever, and then carries on after being caught out as though nothing happened and lies again.

A friend of mine who uses forums in her psychology classes was quite interested to read what has been posted here, she says Brent has a typical Antisocial personality disorder both from his apparent personal history and his forum posts. ( I won't say what she said about me :-) )

I looked it up and found Sociopath as the old definition. I liked this definition:

Profile of the Sociopath especially the malignant personality at the bottom of the page, sounds like a great disorder.

Brent fit's a very alarming number of dot points on that page. Don't let him get to you. If he has an antisocial personality disorder then you should expect vindictive personal assaults, he just can't help it.
Old 01-15-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Geez Smack, if you're a Texan who can't take an insult.......

I mean really.... Texas is SUCH a sweet target of opportunity.
I can take an insult. But, in Texas - and with most every sailor I've ever met - a non-low-life man never insults family. At least not twice.

Maybe it's different where you are.

Old 01-15-2014
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJohns View Post
Yes sad and this thread has been an eye opener to the amount Brent is prepared to simply lie without any compunction whatsoever, and then carries on after being caught out as though nothing happened and lies again.

A friend of mine who uses forums in her psychology classes was quite interested to read what has been posted here, she says Brent has a typical Antisocial personality disorder both from his apparent personal history and his forum posts. ( I won't say what she said about me :-) )

I looked it up and found Sociopath as the old definition. I liked this definition:

Profile of the Sociopath especially the malignant personality at the bottom of the page, sounds like a great disorder.

Brent fit's a very alarming number of dot points on that page. Don't let him get to you. If he has an antisocial personality disorder then you should expect vindictive personal assaults, he just can't help it.
"malignant personality".

That makes sense. I'm over it this morning. Like I said, I honestly pity the guy. If he's the poster boy for what "full time 'cruising'" does to a person - NO ONE is going to want to go cruising. Period.

Old 01-15-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Smack- It's a good thing you didn't grow up in NYC. When playing "dozens" family was a fair target and often the only target. Would say the nastiest stuff about each other then laugh and go chill. Better then being physical and inventive with sometimes great wit demonstrated. Have no problem Brent saying what he wants at that level it just demeans him . Have a big problem with him saying stuff that could put peoples lives or fortune at risk. That's why I very much appreciate Mike's involvement on this thread.
Old 01-15-2014
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Smack- It's a good thing you didn't grow up in NYC. When playing "dozens" family was a fair target and often the only target. Would say the nastiest stuff about each other then laugh and go chill. Better then being physical and inventive with sometimes great wit demonstrated. Have no problem Brent saying what he wants at that level it just demeans him . Have a big problem with him saying stuff that could put peoples lives or fortune at risk. That's why I very much appreciate Mike's involvement on this thread.
If we're playing dozens, that's a different story. In that case, I admire a good snap.

But we weren't playing dozens (unless I missed the RSVP).

In the end, I agree with your take on the real problem. So it's all good.