Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1621Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Wow, this is getting ugly. I'm not sure one can complain about one's ancestry or family being insulted when one's response is to play armchair psychiatrist and parse the psyche of your opponent. And i am not sure one can complain about one's designs and claims being insulted when one is happy to hurl insults and refuses to back dubious claims.

As one who can lay claim to a few pages of the DSM-5, I find passive-aggressive mental health slaps insulting. Further, if one is going to start slinging labels around here and dissing input based on the psychological health of the participants, you can likely throw out a large percentage of the posts here on this forum.

I mean, we spend an inordinate amount of time and largish sums of money on anachronistic vehicles which at best will carry us at little more than a fast jog. Do we really want to start delving into the sanity of that?

Shall we maybe stick to the physical science side of the argument and leave the sociology and psychology and generalized genealogy aside?
Jaramaz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 01-15-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

I'm not sure if you mean me or Mikie - but if you mean me, I don't see where I've been psychoanalyzing anyone. As I mentioned above, I did think the term "malignant personality" in Mike's post (I didn't read the linked stuff) rang true in the non-clinical sense for BS based purely on the typical responses of his fellow conversationalists.

Now, I cannot lay claim to any of the pages within the vaunted:

...but I can tell a "malignant personality" (as generally understood by the words themselves) from a mile away (most lay people can). Why, in the past, I've even been accused of having one myself on these very forums. So, that kettle is definitely black. No couch required.

PS - I will add this though. I didn't report BS' post. And I hope he doesn't get whacked for it. I honestly think it's very important to have him on Sailnet. People, especially newer sailors, need to read his claims - and the vetting on those claims by very qualified people like Bob and MikeJ. They can then make up their minds for themselves. Sure he stepped over the line, and probably will again - but it would make no sense to make him a martyr. We're all big boys here.
bobperry likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-15-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

LOL, I picture Smack getting his "who, me?" face on.

Smack, my point is that the debate gets lost in the argument. Lots of good info here in this thread which risks getting lost in the white noise of insults.

Last edited by bljones; 01-15-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Okay - I just actually read the "malignant personality" entry in that thing Mike linked to. I take it back...BS is not what's defined there. I was just responding to the words themselves above - not their clinical meaning.

But, after further research in the DSM-5 (page 12,549), I found this term by Dr. B.L. Jones that seems more apt:

"Seriously Annoying Goofball Disorder".

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-15-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-15-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Hey guys, I have just one quick question if you don't mind:

What are the pros and cons of steel boats?

Thank you ahead of time for your insight.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by DRFerron; 01-15-2014 at 01:35 PM. Reason: illicit use of apostrophes.
Old 01-15-2014

GBurton is on a distinguished road

A tumbleweed rolls by.... door slams...
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 01-15-2014
Last Man Standing

Now that's funny GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Hey guys, I have just one quick question if you don't mind:

What are the pros and cons of steel boats?

Thank you ahead of time for your insight.

Brian
Quick summary?

Steel sailboats are okay for some things.

If you insist on having one - go with a Van de Stadt. But, whatever you do, NEVER build one yourself...unless building boats over many years is all you really care about...or unless you want to be broke and old by the time you're ready to splash it.

That's what I've learned anyway. Well, that and the fact that Hunters are better than Catalinas.

Old 01-15-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Dad:
Here is one of the cons, from my perspective. You have very little control over the small shaping details when you work with steel. There are European yards that can do it but you don't see that level of shape contgrrol in North American steel boats. If you are happy with hard corners and edges then that's fine but I like a softer look. And when I want a hard corner I want it to be my design and not a limitation of the matertial.

Notice the changing contour in the cabin top of Frankie. That would have been a challenge in steel. It is not conically developed.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 01-15-2014

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

I think we also learned that while corrosion can be an issue on steel boats, some methods/processes can significantly reduce the problem, but that some actually make it worse.

And those methods, along with their pros and cons are......

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 01-15-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Also seems apparent that in settings where steel may be appropriate aluminum may be a better choice. Larger group of modern designs, better sailing performance, easier maintenance with current methods, higher resale value/% of retained value and equal or greater strength with current designs. Only downside is less abrasion resistance.