Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1723Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Yes Bob, while you were talking about boat design inside the warm comfort of an office ,I was out actually cruising full time ,experiencing in the real wold how things work or don't work, something you have never done. My comments are based on decades of first hand ,hands on experience , both cruising and building, not purely on something I read somewhere.
.Your implication that theory is more reliable than experienced reality ,is like saying that future weather forecasts are more accurate and reliable than yesterdays weather record! That's laughable!
Bob, I must admit, I'm more than a little surprised that you've never experienced "in the real wo[r]ld [sic] how things work or don't work". I'm sure that if the world knew this little secret, all of your wildly popular and award-winning boats across the entire spectrum of yacht types from cruising to racing to mono to multi to FG to steel...and on and on...would suddenly come under a cloud of great suspicion.

One good thing has finally come out of the above post. BS has finally admitted he's not a designer. Just a cruiser and builder.

I'd call that progress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-20-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I admit that if I had spent years cruising there would be many things I would know more about. Kind of like how if BS had spent time working in a recognized design office he would have learned more about design. I also think that I might have benefitted by working a few years in a yacht building facility. Of course I should have worked for a custom boat builder and a production factory so I got the full spectrum of build experiences. But I didn't. Not dure how that would have impacted my work. Siometimes I think I am a better designer because I don't think how hard a detail is to build. I just draw it and let the builder worry. These are things I have thought about a lot over the years.

But unfortunately or fortunately I made my choices and in hindsite they seem to have worked out just fine. I have had students from all over the world in my office serving interships so they could graduate from their schools. Someone out there must think I know what I am doing. My clients do. I do. I'm never ashamed to admit what I don't know. I don't have to pretend to be anything that I am not. I know a lot and what I don't know I almost always know where to find the answer. I'm never shy about picking up the phone.

I have really enjoyed my job.
smackdaddy likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 01-20-2014

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Here's today's work. I think Outbound will like this one. It's still a work in progress but it is shaping up. Check out the curved house sides.

My boat (CS 36 Merlin) is more angular than curved on the topsides. I find it aesthetically a bit harsh..

One thing I do like about it is that since the transitions between surfaces aren't large, it seems that I have more horizontal or near-horizontal surfaces to stand on..

My feet seem to understand: "Now I am on the flat, angled part transitioning to the foredeck... Adjust accordingly"

Does this make sense?

It just seems to me that I have better balance on my boat with the angular topsides..

On a similar note, my friend's 1D35 has a large, curved transition between the deck and hull.. There are no rails.

This is great for hiking.

This also a great way to lose things over the side..

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Last edited by djodenda; 01-20-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2014
grumpy old man

Denda:
That is exactly what we have been playing with all day. We need to strike a balance between what works and what looks best. We have been fiddling with ways to end the lower cabin trunk forward. We either have a distinct step and that gives us a squared off look to the front of the house. Or we go with a slope, a "ramp". The trouble comes when the end of the house is neither a step nor a ramp but something inbetween. We are still mucking around with it. My old Esprit had a ramp with a 14 degree slope to it. It worked perfectly. Just have to convince the client.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 01-20-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Bob, as I see it, being a vertical surface, a step always looks, aesthetically, like it should have something in it (generally portlights of some description) whereas a ramp, even a fairly steeply-sloped ramp, doesn't have this problem.

..so the question is, do you plan to have any windows in it - or is it solid as drawn?
Old 01-20-2014
grumpy old man

Classic:
The treatment of the forward end of the trunk is still up in the air. My plan was a sloped ramp with a hatch cut into the camber. Windows are always hard. You have an indea how you want them, shped then you have to fit that idea with the accomodations and bulkheads. We'll do the windows when we have all the contours established.

I should say that I am envious of BS's skill with tools. I can't build anything. It's not even a matter of no training in that area. To begin with I really do not like to get my hands dirty. No, really I don't. And watching my beloved son Spike work in metal I saw a patience with materials that I don't have. I get fusterated too easily when things don't work right. Spike had a calm patience that allowed him to quietly produce the design he had made and not get mad when things didn't work out exactly as he had them planned.

"Look Dad. I made some Viking armour."

I taught Spike to draw out his designs. His drawings are pure art. His level of creativty still awes me. Tomorrow will be his birthday. If you think of it raise a glass to Spike tomorrow. He wasn't a drinker but when he drank he preferred rum.
Faster and smackdaddy like this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 01-20-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

It's beautiful .
To paraphrase Mikey " I like it "
Old 01-20-2014
grumpy old man

Thanks Out. We had to drag Phil kicking and screaming into 2014. " I don't want 3D modelling!" But in no time that turned into, "Oh,,,that's nice. Now what if we ,,,,,,,?"

I can't imagine doing any refined design work today without the benefits of 3D modelling.
It's a very powerful design tool and I happen to have working with me the very best guy, Jody Culbertson III.

I see we chased BS off. I figured he'd either put up or shut up. He shut up.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 01-20-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Bob,

Is there not a thread in CA on this new boat? I thunk there was, but could not find it over the weekend.

David, I like our Castro designs! Yeah maybe a bit angular at times.....but I still like them.

Marty
Old 01-20-2014
grumpy old man

Marty:
Those Castro boats are good looking by any standard. And they sail well. What's not to like?
Lou452 likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.