Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Quick - choose one for your next boat.
Silas Crosby is obviously the best looking one ,and the soundest, toughest, and most proven seaworthy of the lot.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 01-30-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Thanks Brent:
We lay our souls bare we we publish our work.

I'm curious how Frankie will respond when pushed hard in a breeze. I know helm balance will be fine. I have polars but they are just numbers and they fall down in accuracy at the top end when hullspeed is crested.

So, back to my story:
The fat lady, with way too much make up and weird hair, goes over to Ludwig, pokes him rudely in the shoulder and yells, "I didn't like that!" Beethoven reads her lips, looks her straight in her rhumy eyes and says, "I didn't write it for you."
Brent Swain likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
My reference to "jack" was pertaining to your sock puppet identity on the BD forum. I haved no idea whio "jethro" is.

Ok I get it. You were talking inverted? Right. You talk nonsense.
"Two radically different centres of buoyancy "?
There is one VCB. There can only be one on a monohull. It changes as the boat heels and that's what creates the righting arm. It is always moving if the boat is moving.

" Such a huge crew tio sail it"?
You mean a husband, a wife, a 12 year old and a 14 year old? You talk nonsense.

Notice Bob states that " it changes as the boat heels and that 's what creates the righting arm. It is always moving when the boat is moving."
When I said the same thing on BD.net, I was called a liar. No one else claimed it to be accurate .
Yes Bob I meant inverted. Calculate the VCB when the boat is inverted, and see how far it is from all that weight under the bunks .
I rowed over to one of the 3-36 ft brentboats surrounding me. I measured the freeboard, then stepped aboard and measured it again. With my 220 lbs on the rail, it heeled 1 inch. Now try that on any of the 36 footers around you ,and see how far 220 lbs makes it heel, for a comparison . You can even try it on one of my 36 footers . Shinola is in the new marina in Campbell River , behind the super store. Autumn Wine is in Refuge Cove , desolation Sound. Silas Crosby is at the govt dock in Comox, Three more are anchored west of all the marinas in Comox, and one is anchored off the breakwater. One more is in Courtenay slough. One more in Deep Bay. One is moored behind Muddy waters pub in Nanaimo. Two more are at Newcastle Marina in Nanaimo and one more is at the Yacht club there. Three more are in Genoa Bay, and one is in Esquimault. One is in Fulford harbour, several more are in Oak Bay.
Three more are in the Caribean , two finishing circumnavigations. One is in Brazil, two or three are in Hawaii on Oahu. One is in NE Olympia. One is in Seattle . One is on the northeast coast of New Zealand.

Oh yes. I asked the owner of that immaculate Passport 47 how much he paid for her. He said $137K. How does that compare to her initial price tag? How much did he lose by owning her? Some of my 36 footers have sold for nearly that much. Shinola sold for $95 K, to an owner who is very happy with the deal he got.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 01-30-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Brent don't you realize your last post speaks only to your extremely parochial view of the world . Counter examples
Take the small run of outbound 46 s. In any given year there are more than one on each ocean of the world save the southern sea. There are only 53 of them.
Or just one design of Bob's the V 40 or the T 37 The same would be true. Here with hundreds of boats I suspect your boats wake to see multiples of just those two designs of Bob's in any harbor they frequent.
Or the HR 43. Or now the Boreals.
We are not talking about a cluster of boats near you and a few outliers. But rather frail plastic boats and an aluminum high latitude boat braving shipping containers, Japanese debris ,what ever in safety and comfort.
As been said before post data not fishing stories.
BTW - these boats are husband and wife boats sailed by average folks not gung-ho racers or iron men.

Last edited by outbound; 01-29-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-29-2014
grumpy old man

Brent:

Funny how you are always and I mean always revising your math after you have been caught speaking nonsense. "Oh yes, I meant inverted." You have no clue. Why do you even get into techical discussions? It must be very comforting to live in a world where reality plays such a minor role. I think they call it "the bliss of the ignorant". Brent you are the poster child. You celebrate your own stupidty. You even promote your own stupidity. News flash! We get it. You are stupid.

$37,000 for a Passport 47. I'm afraid you are going to have to provide proof for that ridiculous claim. You are a liar.

Once again, why be the angry little, defensive man? There is zero nobility in that. But you continue to do it like you are addicted to that role.

On the bright side I'm doing rack of lamb tonight with Brussel sprouts, Hubbard squash with butter and paprika and,,,,ok I haven't figured that out yet. I do like to cook.
smackdaddy likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Brent don't you realize your last post speaks only to your extremely parochial view of the world . Counter examples
Take the small run of outbound 46 s. In any given year there are more than one on each ocean of the world save the southern sea. There are only 53 of them.
Or just one design of Bob's the V 40 or the T 37 The same would be true. Here with hundreds of boats I suspect your boats wake to see multiples of just those two designs of Bob's in any harbor they frequent.
Or the HR 43. Or now the Boreals.
We are not talking about a cluster of boats near you and a few outliers. But rather frail plastic boats and an aluminum high latitude boat braving shipping containers, Japanese debris ,what ever in safety and comfort.
As been said before post data not fishing stories.
BTW - these boats are husband and wife boats sailed by average folks not gung-ho racers or iron men.
Which makes my point. I design for the needs of 95% of the cruisers I meet while cruising, not a few masochistic gung ho iron men. Bob can deal with them. I have no interest in their needs.
Perry designs are extremely rare here in BC. I know of only three.
The data is in the heeling test I mentioned, far more accurate than speculation. I gave the location of just a sample of my boats, so people can do their own testing and comparisons ,and not take anyone else's word for it , or be milked $150 an hour for Briex , AIG , or Bernie Madeoff style accounting.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 01-30-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2014
grumpy old man

"Perry designs are extremely rare here in BC. I know of only three."
You are not looking very hard. But if your eyesite is as good as your drafting I suspect you won't see many. And we have seen your drafting.

"not a few masochistic gung ho iron men. "
See, you can't get through a post without calling names. They should have taiuht you better when you were young. Name calling is the last resort of any argument.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 01-29-2014

Quote:
Brent:

Funny how you are always and I mean always revising your math after you have been caught speaking nonsense. "Oh yes, I meant inverted." You have no clue. Why do you even get into techical discussions? It must be very comforting to live in a world where reality plays such a minor role. I think they call it "the bliss of the ignorant". Brent you are the poster child. You celebrate your own stupidty. You even promote your own stupidity. News flash! We get it. You are stupid.

$37,000 for a Passport 47. I'm afraid you are going to have to provide proof for that ridiculous claim. You are a liar.

Once again, why be the angry little, defensive man? There is zero nobility in that. But you continue to do it like you are addicted to that role.

On the bright side I'm doing rack of lamb tonight with Brussel sprouts, Hubbard squash with butter and paprika and,,,,ok I haven't figured that out yet. I do like to cook.
Most of the discussions I get into are technical .You don't consider stability, in the real world of experience, rather than speculation, a technical discussion? You don't consider explaining the structural principles of a hull and decks to be a technical discussion?
What do you consider a "technical" discussion? Your baby pictures ? Your menu? Pictures of your pool? Your self promotion, with decorative pictures which have nothing to do with the subject, metal boats?
Old 01-29-2014

Quote:
"Perry designs are extremely rare here in BC. I know of only three."
You are not looking very hard. But if your eyesite is as good as your drafting I suspect you won't see many. And we have seen your drafting.

"not a few masochistic gung ho iron men. "
See, you can't get through a post without calling names. They should have taiuht you better when you were young. Name calling is the last resort of any argument.
Gung ho iron men was Outbound's choice of words. I have a right to respond and it takes repeating to respond.
What Bob is advocating is one set of rules for some, and a different set for others ( yacht club style elitism?)
Old 01-29-2014
grumpy old man

You are stooping low again Brent. Stick to the subject. Personal attacks just make you look like a little man. You are very ignorant in the area of stability. This has been brought to light over and over again on this and the BD sites.

I can't talk stability or naval architecture with you. You are ignorant.

Self promotion? You bet your dumb ass. I love promoting my work. My work is beautiful and very well received and has been for years. You might have a hard time inventing numbers to disprove that. I am living proof.

"What Bob is advocating is one set of rules for some, and a different set for others ( yacht club style elitism?) "
You are getting desperate again.

Bob's Blog ....

Closed Thread